The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had vegan donuts before! From several different places. They were incredible.
No difference right? I fried sweet yeast dough before and it was a doughnut
Brownies though---I have tried and tried vegan brownies and none are close enough to the brownies you make from a box using eggs. Not flax, not egg replacer, not sweet potato or pumpkin nor bean, not tofu--although I do like them with silken tofu, they're still not the brownies I remember and my son makes

Reactions: Val
No difference right? I fried sweet yeast dough before and it was a doughnut
Brownies though---I have tried and tried vegan brownies and none are close enough to the brownies you make from a box using eggs. Not flax, not egg replacer, not sweet potato or pumpkin nor bean, not tofu--although I do like them with silken tofu, they're still not the brownies I remember and my son makes

Most of the vegan donuts I've had seemed sweeter than non-vegan donuts. Beyond Krispy Kreme. Lots of sugar. But that's probably a coincidence. I've also had less sweet ones (I prefer those).

I actually like vegan baked goods better than the standard kind. I don't like the taste of eggs or dairy. I like the lighter flavor.

I'm eating a vegan chocolate chip cookie right now! Alternative Baking Company.

Reactions: Val
And I've had some GOOD vegan brownies. I think Green in San Antonio, TX, might have them.

I haven't done much vegan baking at home. There must be secrets. I'm going to ask around within the (huge) local vegan community and see what I can find out.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I would really love and appreciate a vegan donut as long as they don’t try to make it healthy with low sugar and whole wheat flour. 😜

I was a huge fan of donuts...glazed, vanilla and chocolate iced ones, jelly, Boston cream, powdered, crumb, Old fashioned, apple cider...I can’t believe I haven’t had one in 15 years. I purchased vegan donuts from vegan essentials years ago and it was pretty bad, due to it trying to be z healthier version. Vegan food doesn’t always have to be “healthy”. Sometimes I want it to be as close to junk food as possible.

I tried making them once but they were pretty boring...baked not fried. They were more like donut shaped cakes.

Most of the vegan donuts I've had seemed sweeter than non-vegan donuts. Beyond Krispy Kreme. Lots of sugar. But that's probably a coincidence. I've also had less sweet ones (I prefer those).
That’s interesting. My experience has been the opposite. I wonder if it’s because you are in the city and there are so many vegan options there for food and baked goods. I lived my whole life in the suburbs of NYC and never really took advantage of that.

There is meant to be a really nice vegan doughnut shop in London. Crosstown doughnuts. I want to try them when this is over. I did go to a vegan gluten free place last year. Vida Bakery.

I don't like brownies at all!

I love brownies! I have made several vegan versions. I will try to find my favorite recipe! I rarely buy sweets ready made as making them yourself is more economical and pretty easy!

That’s interesting. My experience has been the opposite. I wonder if it’s because you are in the city and there are so many vegan options there for food and baked goods. I lived my whole life in the suburbs of NYC and never really took advantage of that.
There are so many vegan options in SPb (in the city itself), like vegan shops, cafes, restaurants and various events, that a lot of vegans prefer to hang out in the city. I have to admit, i'd never change my suburban life to a life in the "stone jungle", even if i had access to all vegan yummies in the world. Especially now, when there are so many infected in the city... My hometown is safer, the air is fresher, the scenery is nicer, etc., etc... And vegan yummies... i can replace them, make them myself, or... simply forget about them!:lol:

Last edited:
I've only had brownies with nuts in them. I remember I had one in quite a posh restaurant in Canary Wharf (it's a financial district in London) and I thought it was nasty! :laughing: I just left most of it and ate the ice cream.

• Friendly
Chef Chloe won a contest in NYC with her vegan donuts. I'm pretty sure it was a donut cooking contest not a vegan donut cooking contest. so that is saying something.
She has a cookbook you can buy with the recipe. But it's all over the internet. In fact, I think she has the directions for it on YouTube.
I think Chloe also had a vegan restaurant in NYC. I'm pretty sure I read that she had lost it.I'm not sure if its still there and she just lost control over it - or if it's totally gone.
I also remember reading about a vegan donut shop in NYC that is supposed to be the best.

Reactions: Freesia and Val
To everyone talking about vegan brownies--I've had GOOD vegan brownies, they were just different from those with eggs- you know, either the box or the recipe with the baking chocolate?
I'm fine with everything else I can think of made vegan, without expecting the 'same', but just not brownies! I really really liked the box w/egg mix. Now I'm thinking about Just Egg? That feels like the only thing I haven't tried!
and yes, yes, yes....I've had vegan brownies from some really great vegan bakeries, blah blah blah. They aren't like what I want

Sorry, it's just become such a peeve to me to have people tell me what I would like or not like, or taste or not taste. I had another stupid discussion at lunch yesterday about how I've never had a good risotto, since I don't "think" I like risotto. I told her to bring me some-I've done with every discussion on things I've never had "good" versions, and no one has impressed me! Bring it on, if it's vegan!

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
Chef Chloe won a contest in NYC with her vegan donuts. I'm pretty sure it was a donut cooking contest not a vegan donut cooking contest. so that is saying something.
She has a cookbook you can buy with the recipe. But it's all over the internet. In fact, I think she has the directions for it on YouTube.
I think Chloe also had a vegan restaurant in NYC. I'm pretty sure I read that she had lost it.I'm not sure if its still there and she just lost control over it - or if it's totally gone.
I also remember reading about a vegan donut shop in NYC that is supposed to be the best.
Oh yeah, she won a Food Network cupcake contest. I have her first cookbook, and it is worth having. The doughnuts in that book I'm pretty sure are baked in a doughnut mold. I was given one and used it once, haven't seen it since.
In the book Veganomicon-Isa Moscowitz- there is a doughnut muffin I've made a lot. You put a dollop of jam in the top and it bakes inside. I've also made them with banana slices instead
I may have to make those now- it's been years

Oh yeah, she won a Food Network cupcake contest. I have her first cookbook, and it is worth having. The doughnuts in that book I'm pretty sure are baked in a doughnut mold. I was given one and used it once, haven't seen it since.
In the book Veganomicon-Isa Moscowitz- there is a doughnut muffin I've made a lot. You put a dollop of jam in the top and it bakes inside. I've also made them with banana slices instead
I may have to make those now- it's been years

Oh. I stand corrected. I got donuts and cupcakes mixed up.

I've actually been traveling a lot for the past 20 years and have lived in many places. I've sampled vegan food from all over the US plus parts of Canada, Australia and NZ.

But it has taken off in recent years. I got spoiled with amazing vegan food in the SF Bay Area and Texas. There's also a lot here in NYC. It's so common now, you find vegan options (including donuts!) almost everywhere.

In kind of pain right now. have to go out today and get various thing i am low on, might have to sign some registers, hope they dont ask for my address.

Finally made the stovetop mac n "cheeze" yesterday. Tasted a little unusual but nice enough. it used coconut milk so had some notes of coconut.. still have a serving for today. Felt very indulgent... i definitely need more things like that in my life.

Hope you feel better Freesia.
I’ve been craving comfort food. My daughter is going for Thai and is going to get me something and drop it off. One of the perks of living so close to her now. 😁
I ordered veggie tempura, fried tofu and yellow curry...it’s a lot, I know, lol. But I love leftovers. And with the air fryer it’s easy to heat up fried foods.

I have had a relaxing day today. I did go to the Dollar General for a few things and picked up another DVD from the library. I read on my book and watched a DVD. It was Jurasic World: Fallen Kingdom which I had already seen but didn't realize it until I started watching it. It was ok though because those movies are fun to watch again!
I keep my phone on silent and did not see a message from TJ Maxx right away. The voicemail was the manager asking me to work a closing shift. I just didn't call back. I had already refused a 10-3 shift but I guess she didn't know that. I usually work extra shifts when offered but I really needed today to rest. It has been hard going back to work after so long and my poor old body just needs rest! I work a morning shift tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.