The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(May 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a public holiday over here and it looks like many people have gone away. I was invited this afternoon to someone's garden but have put
it off until tomorrow.
It will nice for you to get out a little bit and sit in a garden. I’m starting to feel like I want to shelter in place less. I let my older daughter come for a visit two weeks ago. We kept our distance...no hugging lol. Felt weird. But it was nice to have her here for a little while. I’m considering having another friend over soon. We will sit outside. She can come in to see the house with a mask and I will sanitize before and after. I’m not sure though. Maybe I’ll wait two weeks after more businesses open up and see how it goes.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
It will nice for you to get out a little bit and sit in a garden. I’m starting to feel like I want to shelter in place less. I let my older daughter come for a visit two weeks ago. We kept our distance...no hugging lol. Felt weird. But it was nice to have her here for a little while. I’m considering having another friend over soon. We will sit outside. She can come in to see the house with a mask and I will sanitize before and after. I’m not sure though. Maybe I’ll wait two weeks after more businesses open up and see how it goes.

For sure as I've been cooped up in my flat. We will keep distances - at least 1 metre and wear masks. No hugging.

Morning/afternoon y'all! It is another summer like day with 90's expected. I am working a long shift as a cashier today. I do have Sweets-n-Eats to look forward to this evening and Central 28 is opening up for limited seating. We will see if we can get a table and eat there like "the good old days".

Morning/afternoon y'all! It is another summer like day with 90's expected. I am working a long shift as a cashier today. I do have Sweets-n-Eats to look forward to this evening and Central 28 is opening up for limited seating. We will see if we can get a table and eat there like "the good old days".

Are your restaurants and bars already open ? Ours are still closed for a few more weeks.

I have got another 6 CBT sessions booked. I think that will be 24 sessions now. That is quite a lot for the NHS. She doesn't know when face to face will be back as it will be hard to keep 2 metres distance so they will be by phone still.

It's so warm. I played fetch with my dog and it tired her out after about 5 minutes.

Are your restaurants and bars already open ? Ours are still closed for a few more weeks.
Some of them are managing to open for outside dining. I think it’s against the recommendation which I guess isn’t enforceable. This is a community that depends on tourism during the summer months so I think most businesses are trying to minimize the loss of revenue that is most certainly to be inevitable.

I read, in my free local paper, that there was a trolley that they had started up last summer that they were hoping to get up and operational again this year but due to lack of funds and covid19 is not going to happen. I would have loved that, riding a trolley through downtown.

Some of our bars and restaurants are also open for outside dining or to-go service. Unofficial outside dining - the seating is off-premise and mostly byo.

Speaking of my own neighborhood, at least one boardwalk bar is open for take-out on the weekends. So it's almost normal. You drink and snack in front of the bar on the boardwalk.

Our best local coffee shop is also open like usual. They just took the chairs out so it's officially only take-out.

We haven't seen an increase in infections with people getting more relaxed about precautions. So maybe COVID is a seasonal thing or maybe the safety measures we do have in place are working. We'll find out soon.

Reactions: Val
Currently trending on Twitter: “The end of meat is here”

Well, I don’t know about that. *sigh*

• Friendly
Currently trending on Twitter: “The end of meat is here”

Well, I don’t know about that. *sigh*

The NYT article! I just posted a link to it in the News thread.

I was honestly not a fan of the author's approach to it. He didn't really address the counter-arguments or offer enough facts and substance to back up his statements.

It was kind of like, "Don't we need animal protein? No, duh, we don't." In other words, I could see it simply antagonizing non-vegans instead of serving to be informative. I would have approached the topic differently.

That said, he did cover a broad range of points and tied it all to current events. It was better than what you see in most mainstream newspapers these days, and it will get people talking.

Reactions: Val, Lou and Amy SF

It’s frustrating when the fast food chains offer a million non-vegan options, and then agonize over every single individual potential vegan menu item, as if a single vegan option will throw the universe out of whack or something.

It’s frustrating when the fast food chains offer a million non-vegan options, and then agonize over every single individual potential vegan menu item, as if a single vegan option will throw the universe out of whack or something.

I think they should take their time... to do it right.

Are vegan doughnuts that much different? I didn;t read the thing...
I can't remember the last time I had a doughnut, other than it was my old company, on a saturday, and that's been a long time

• Friendly

I think it's more that they get press coverage earlier in the development process. Therefore, we read about the whole process and it seems long and agonizing, which it is. But it's probably no different from any other menu change, brand redesign, etc.

This story originated with someone asking the question in a shareholder meeting. If someone had asked, "Are you going to add a lime-flavored donut?" would there be press coverage? And if so, how many people would be reading it and talking about it?

But I think there tends to be an issue with news stories about veg options being added. They make it sound more dramatic and controversial than it really is. How different is a vegan donut from a regular donut? The key ingredients are flour, oil and sugar. The drama comes from the Vegan label and the fact that it draws strongly mixed reactions from people. And that's a driving force behind the whole thing. The menu changes can be effectively a publicity stunt - a way to get people talking about the brand. They don't always happen and they don't always last.

• Friendly
Here is the full phase one information for Florida:

I am a bit confused about bars though. Maybe the brewery is not considered a "bar" for some reason? Perhaps it has something to do with the foodtrucks supplying food. All I know is that we were allowed inside with our food and could get a draft. Tables were far apart and there was outside seating as well. It was nice!

But I think there tends to be an issue with news stories about veg options being added. They make it sound more dramatic and controversial than it really is. How different is a vegan donut from a regular donut? The key ingredients are flour, oil and sugar. The drama comes from the Vegan label and the fact that it draws strongly mixed reactions from people. And that's a driving force behind the whole thing. The menu changes can be effectively a publicity stunt - a way to get people talking about the brand. They don't always happen and they don't always last.

I think that american donuts compared to British doughnuts are slightly different. Doughnuts are made with the same ingredients but also contain eggs.

Morning/afternoon y'all! It is going to be another hot day after thunderstorms last night. Now that we are in the summer pattern, there is a chance of thunderstorms every day after hot temperatures. I am going to take it easy today; I was so exhausted last night. I do need to go over to the Dollar General around the corner for some more ibuprofen as I am out. My allergies give me sinus headaches so I need it!
I have never been a huge fan of donuts but I would welcome a vegan version for a treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.