The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(March 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning/afternoon y'all! Yet another very hot day here but a front is coming to cool us off to more normal temperatures later in the week. I am doing pretty much what I always do during this trying time. I play stupid Facebook games, keep up with email, watch TV and movies, and read. The difference, of course, is that I can't just go to a store to "window shop" or go hang out at the Abbey bar downtown anymore. :( My sister and I can't do our lunches out either. :( I am trying to avoid going to the store unless I really need something. I am curious to see the new safety measures that are being put in place like the plastic shields.

I am watching the 1 o/c news and saw people are doing isolation parties where they are all dancing to music. :laughing:

I’m bored too. Kind of surprised by that. I think it’s because suddenly I’m retired with no job to go to and as I’ve mentioned before, I don’t have my house. Being confined just adds to it now. Bad timing for me.

Where are you at the moment? In a rented place or staying with people?

• Wow
Reactions: Val
That really sucks. On the flip side, I wish I didn't have to work during this - whatever this is. Having to turn my mind away from all this and just walking into the other room to get to work is getting harder and harder. It's like "ok, let's just pretend all is ok in the world and get some work done". It might help that I temporarily deactivated my Facebook account (I set it to reactivate after 7 days...if I last that long), but I don't know...
I don’t think I could do the work at home thing. I’m not disciplined enough and easily distracted.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Chryssie and Val
Where are you at the moment? In a rented place or staying with people?
My sister in law had an empty attic apartment. It’s small with little privacy. I’m so lucky though, not knowing if/when we will move to the new house. Still waiting on mortgage approval and title search. At least we had an option until we are able to settle in a new place.

My sister in law had an empty attic apartment. It’s small with little privacy. I’m so lucky though, not knowing if/when we will move to the new house. Still waiting on mortgage approval and title search. At least we had an option until we are able to settle in a new place.

That was very lucky, at least you have that. I wonder what on earth other people are doing regarding moving house if this happened in the middle of actually moving.

Reactions: KLS52
"On a lighter note": Alya has sent me this file (i'm not sure it will play for others, despite that i uploaded it on Google drive), but it says "access permitted".
It's written here: "Prolongued vacations" (meaning at the lyceum). Grumpy man on the left - "parents". Lolling man on the right - "teachers".

Poor Alya... she can't imagine her life without work, and now, being 72y.o. and self-isolated, she's entertaining herself by cooking Tatarian dishes and playing with her phone. She has an old iPhone, and it's glitchy, so she has begun to hate it... She's a ballerina, and, being at this age, she needs constant exercise,- otherwise, she won't be able to move properly.💃

I just called my doctor's office to see if I still have to go for my bi-annual blood test for my thyroid levels. I have a phone appointment with him tomorrow. Hopefully I won't have to go this time and he'll just prescribe my refill.

• Friendly
Reactions: Chryssie and Val
The class I was going to this weekend was of cause cancelled, but that's good anyways since my holldays are cancelled too. The holder of the class said that we are getting 100% back, but several people are in for helping them covering what they have put out in rent for the hall etc. I said that was okey for me too, and then someone just ranted back at me explaining why we should help them... :p People thiese days...

My tunnel has arrived now too. So I'm picking that up tomorrow. Then I only need some sand for the bags to hold it in place, and we're ready for trying it out next week. :)

Last day off work now. I'm really not ready for work at all now. I want to be in my safe city, and not plauge infected Oslo...

The class I was going to this weekend was of cause cancelled, but that's good anyways since my holldays are cancelled too. The holder of the class said that we are getting 100% back, but several people are in for helping them covering what they have put out in rent for the hall etc. I said that was okey for me too, and then someone just ranted back at me explaining why we should help them... :p People thiese days...

My tunnel has arrived now too. So I'm picking that up tomorrow. Then I only need some sand for the bags to hold it in place, and we're ready for trying it out next week. :)

Last day off work now. I'm really not ready for work at all now. I want to be in my safe city, and not plauge infected Oslo...

Oslo? hey! Have you ever seen Katzenjammer. I love them!

I work there yeah. :D

I know their name, but no. The only concerts I attend is Harry Potter with live film music. :p

I've been a big fan of them for years. I'm not sure if they are still together. In an interview, they tell a great story of how three of them met in Music school in Oslo. The first two started meeting at one of their grandfather's house and teaching themselves how to play various instruments and writing music. Sol, who was already playing in several bands went over one day and joined them. Sol also had a box of music a friend from HS wrote. Sol also knew another girl from high school. Then they started playing the bars in Oslo. they play a lot of different instruments and they switch the instruments around a lot and take turns singing. Plus some of the instruments are unusual. their songs are of all kinds of styles. They pretty much defy categorizing.

they became very popular in Norway and Germany. Eventually doing big shows, TV, and music videos. I missed them when they came to America.

I will post in "What are you listening now" a song they performed live at the World Cup Awards ceremony that was in Oslo. It looks very cold and I got a kick when Sol's trumpet froze up and she barely missed a beat.

If you like them you can watch them on YouTube. There are several live concerts that were shot for TV shows. My favorite is the one at the Rockpalast. They have several albums out too.

Reactions: Mikkel and Val
I've got quite a mess in my head, mixed (mostly sad) feelings and, in general, i feel apprehensive. It's getting worse and worse day after day outside.
I've spent an enormous quantity of money today (the same was on Thursday and Friday). I've been stockpiling like crazy, though i can't do it like other people do. I don't think i'll be going to the right bank of Izhora river in the nearest future at all, so i spent ALL money that i had. From now on, if i want to buy something (a drink or a fruit), i'll have to take ~100-200 roubles a day from mom (and she'll be making scandals,- i know it, uugghhh).
I'd had a feeling that strict quarantine is approaching. And i wasn't mistaken. It's still in progress, but it's real. Mom and Elijah have been at the country today, and they heard the news that all suburban SPb districts are being closed gradually,- people are getting stuck between the districts, unable to go where they are going. It was said that road police and militaries would be standing (like a wall) at the edges of counties and districts, not letting people get out of the city and not letting them go to another place.
Elijah brought mom here, we hardly made him take David's toy car, chocolates, shoe-socks, other garbage, and 2 of MY desinfectants (i sacrificed a couple to Liza,- only for David's sake, because Sumerian gods had nominated Unghshu as David's sentinel). I mean, Unghshu is everybody's sentinel, but David needs help, because he's a "gift from Sumerian gods" (even Liza and Elijah admit that).
Having left our countryside community, mom and Elijah went to a local Magnet grocer (wearing masks and gloves). Mom spent >4000 roubles, Elijah spent >9000 roubles. Liza kept sending Elijah long lists of what she thought they might need at the very last minute(!). They saw a bunch of cars on a tiny parking lot at that small Magnet grocer. I wonder, how did all those people manage to obtain everything they wanted?
Mom never stopped harrassing me. COPD gets worse when mom yells at me, and i yell at her. I'm mad at everybody's stupidity. Why is it so hard to understand such a simple thing?? - One cannot stock up on everything essential at the very last minute. And mom not only hadn't been helping me to stock up on things,- she had been denying until the very last minute that we needed to stock up on food and essentials. I was alone, and it was her, who was "putting me sticks into wheels", treating me like a piece of sh*t all these weeks.
My nerves are for naught.🥴 🥺 T'fu...:hurl:
This morning, i woke up at 8a.m. and headed to Okey mall for the last time ("until a crawfish whistles on a hill"). If i see that there are no horrible restrictions on the streets for rare pedestrians tomorrow afternoon (granted, i live at the very edge of the town),- i'll take a brief walk (as far from people as possible). If i see police or smth.,- i'll restrict myself with sitting on a bench at the basketball field next to my house. It has got cold, and long walks is not an option, anyway.
Mom's friend Marine is bored, so she's sending me different random photos. Her son owns an adorable kitty Lucy (i've seen her before). Lucy:
IMG_20200330_220457.jpg

2 tiny gifts from Okey mall this morning (it's given to those who spend more than 1000 roubles in one receipt). I got 2 receipts: 1050 roubles and 1240 roubles. Now i'm destitute. These are mini-pots, tablets for sprouting and seeds (basil and radishes).
IMG_20200330_114643_539.jpg

Kids' drawings on the road on my way back: "Angelina love" and a scheme for a jumping game (like in our childhood). These drawings made me feel depressed.
IMG_20200330_205315.jpg

IMG_20200330_205034.jpg

Yesterday evening. Spooky sunset over the field and "Factory avenue" next to my home. Tbh, i got scared when i crawled out of the house, because i didn't expect that. I think, it's pretty symbolic, despite that it's a normal sunset for us, considering our humidity levels.
IMG_20200330_203905.jpg

IMG_20200330_203707.jpg

IMG_20200330_203803.jpg

IMG_20200329_232354.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a big fan of them for years. I'm not sure if they are still together. In an interview, they tell a great story of how three of them met in Music school in Oslo. The first two started meeting at one of their grandfather's house and teaching themselves how to play various instruments and writing music. Sol, who was already playing in several bands went over one day and joined them. Sol also had a box of music a friend from HS wrote. Sol also knew another girl from high school. Then they started playing the bars in Oslo. they play a lot of different instruments and they switch the instruments around a lot and take turns singing. Plus some of the instruments are unusual. their songs are of all kinds of styles. They pretty much defy categorizing.

they became very popular in Norway and Germany. Eventually doing big shows, TV, and music videos. I missed them when they came to America.

I will post in "What are you listening now" a song they performed live at the World Cup Awards ceremony that was in Oslo. It looks very cold and I got a kick when Sol's trumpet froze up and she barely missed a beat.

If you like them you can watch them on YouTube. There are several live concerts that were shot for TV shows. My favorite is the one at the Rockpalast. They have several albums out too.

It's not actual my taste in music at all. I like a bit more old fashion music, and really don't listen to much produced the last 40 years. :p Except REM. When I bother to listen to music. I rarely do it...

Reactions: Val and Mischief
I just did a big grocery run. It was exhausting.

I then picked up a bag of green onion bulbs and seed packets (early baby beets, mixed salad greens, sunflowers). I already have radish seeds and frost-tolerant pea seeds. The ground has thawed enough to plant some things.

I’m bored too. Kind of surprised by that. I think it’s because suddenly I’m retired with no job to go to and as I’ve mentioned before, I don’t have my house. Being confined just adds to it now. Bad timing for me.
Well, at least you found a house! It would have really awful if you were stuck there without a goal in sight :up:

Nothing much changed for me. I found an old dust mask I wore to work today, just to provide a visual to stay away from me! I also changed my computers wallpaper to black so I can see people coming up from behind.
Too many people taking a couple days off 'sick', then returning

Status
Not open for further replies.