April Health Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a walking video this morning, a different one for women of a "certain age," lol. The woman yaks a ton during the video, but it actually made the workout go by faster, haha. I am also refocusing on healthy eating. Too many white carbs of late. My body feels better when I eat less of them. I finally got some fresh fruit at the store, too, which made me happy. I got blueberries and clementines.
What is a walking video?
I'm sorry for being stupid... I just have been wondering ever since Raven or someone mentioned it several days ago...

What is a walking video?
I'm sorry for being stupid... I just have been wondering ever since Raven or someone mentioned it several days ago...
LOL, no worries, and you're not being stupid. It's an exercise video where you basically walk in place, mixing in various steps and arm movements. I mix it up and walk all around the house while the video is playing.

What is a walking video?

i guess you would watch the video while walking. sounds dangerous.
Maybe you watch it on your TV and walk around in your living room.
Oh, i bet it is for a treadmill.

I have an app that plays on my iPad. it is for cycling. and you can go to famous parks and bike trails while cycling on a stationary bike in your home. It even uses the front-facing camera to estimate how fast you are going (head bobs).

LOL, no worries, and you're not being stupid. It's an exercise video where you basically walk in place, mixing in various steps and arm movements. I mix it up and walk all around the house while the video is playing.
Thank you!
I must try that out as well.

Reactions: Lou and PTree15
I have an app that plays on my iPad. it is for cycling. and you can go to famous parks and bike trails while cycling on a stationary bike in your home. It even uses the front-facing camera to estimate how fast you are going (head bobs).
Sounds amazing!

I'm feeling tired again today.:( I think I might just do half an hour of walking and then some stretching on my yoga mat.

I did a walking video this morning, a different one for women of a "certain age," lol. The woman yaks a ton during the video, but it actually made the workout go by faster, haha. I am also refocusing on healthy eating. Too many white carbs of late. My body feels better when I eat less of them. I finally got some fresh fruit at the store, too, which made me happy. I got blueberries and clementines.

What age is a certain age? I'm wondering if I'm that age already. :laughing:

That sounds cool.:)

Yesterday I did only a very easy kickboxing workout and walked (inside) 3 miles.
I love the walking videos! Thank you PTree15. :)
I miss walking in the nature, but walking inside is also very nice. You don't have to watch out for the roots. And avoiding people has never been easier.

Today I'm going to do a cardio workout. Ealier today walked again the magical 3 miles.

Yesterday I did only a very easy kickboxing workout and walked (inside) 3 miles.
I love the walking videos! Thank you PTree15. :)
I miss walking in the nature, but walking inside is also very nice. You don't have to watch out for the roots. And avoiding people has never been easier.

Today I'm going to do a cardio workout. Ealier today walked again the magical 3 miles.
I'm so glad you like the videos. There are so many to choose from as well, so you never get bored. It's a great option when the weather is bad and you can't get outside. I, too, much prefer walking outdoors, but I look at the videos as a way to make sure I can still walk outside comfortably. :)

What age is a certain age? I'm wondering if I'm that age already. :laughing:
LOL, it's a gentle way of saying "old(er)." :). The particular set of videos I'm doing is by Pahla B. It's geared toward people over 50. Day 2, which I did today, was all core work. No walking in place. It was actually challenging because it focused on improving balance, which older people really need. My balance is mostly good, but there was one exercise I just couldn't do, so I modified it to something I could do, haha. She encourages viewers to modify when necessary. I loved it because it included lots of lunges and squats but at a much slower pace, kind of like tai chi, which I've always wanted to try ... once my balance gets even better.

I've put on 3 pounds in the last 30 days. But I was one pound down from my goal, so it's really only two that I need to lose. I'm finally starting to feel a little more balanced again and better able to corral my wildest impulses. :lol:

So I did some more checking and it turns out that my RunKeeper miles do count towards my total steps.

I had a little procedure on Wednesday and the doctor told me to take it easy for a couple of days. I was planning on going for a 30-minute stroll today but it was cold and windy and I cut it short.

Tomorrow I plan on starting to work my way up. I'll probably start at walking quickly for 2 miles and gradually adding a few minutes each day. My new goal is to be able to do a 5-mile hike with my sister.

My personal achievement for today (and in general) is that i finally made mom buy me a medium head of kapusta!!! It seems not related to any "health challenge", but it's very challenging for me: i struggle without kapusta, and my guts start misbehaving instantly. About 2 hrs ago, i devoured a huge "dish" of chopped white kapusta and Azeri tomatoes with some stupid sauce, plus some really ancient pickled beets, which my stomach didn't like and made me a heartburn, so that i had to take a med against heartburn. But(!) it did love kapusta: now it's working and making noises,- guts are making loud noises either. Because they have finally got high quality fiber!!! :drool: (I mean, i eat fiber all the time, but there's something special about kapusta which makes it MY IDEAL FOOD).:ma: One cannot imagine how much better i feel now. I believe, i had been commiting a prolongued crime, keeping myself away from kapusta. I can't say i had been feeling that awful, but after i ate a gigantic bowl of this "salad", i understood one thing: i can never betray my true love again, because life without kapusta is not life. No...i'm serious: i'm determined to devour this head along with my newly-boiled red beans, and i decided that i should eat it at least 4 times a week. My blocky carcass with feel festive.
I always worry about David. I always ask Liza: "How much fruits and veggies are left at home (at their place)?" Or: "Does he eat this, does he eat that...?" Or: "What kind of veggies and fruits does he eat more often these days?", etc., etc. Today we spoke to Liza and David via "Whatsapp" messenger (a video call). [A weird name for a messenger, isn't it?] ...Liza assured me that David is getting enough vegan food. She also teaches him how to praise Sumerian gods, and he's making progress. She said that he devours tons of cucumbers.🥒✌ He also adores carrots, kiwies, pears, apples, parsley, etc. Why am i telling this? Because he loves a huge variety of veggies and fruits (he never refuses to eat some), but... when he sees KAPUSTA... he starts literally shaking: he makes wild hungry eyes, runs over, grabs this cabbage leaf, and starts guzzling it with self-abandonment! Therefore, everyone says that he's my offspring (kind of).🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
My personal achievement for today (and in general) is that i finally made mom buy me a medium head of kapusta!!! It seems not related to any "health challenge", but it's very challenging for me: i struggle without kapusta, and my guts start misbehaving instantly. About 2 hrs ago, i devoured a huge "dish" of chopped white kapusta and Azeri tomatoes with some stupid sauce, plus some really ancient pickled beets, which my stomach didn't like and made me a heartburn, so that i had to take a med against heartburn. But(!) it did love kapusta: now it's working and making noises,- guts are making loud noises either. Because they have finally got high quality fiber!!! :drool: (I mean, i eat fiber all the time, but there's something special about kapusta which makes it MY IDEAL FOOD).:ma: One cannot imagine how much better i feel now. I believe, i had been commiting a prolongued crime, keeping myself away from kapusta. I can't say i had been feeling that awful, but after i ate a gigantic bowl of this "salad", i understood one thing: i can never betray my true love again, because life without kapusta is not life. No...i'm serious: i'm determined to devour this head along with my newly-boiled red beans, and i decided that i should eat it at least 4 times a week. My blocky carcass with feel festive.
I always worry about David. I always ask Liza: "How much fruits and veggies are left at home (at their place)?" Or: "Does he eat this, does he eat that...?" Or: "What kind of veggies and fruits does he eat more often these days?", etc., etc. Today we spoke to Liza and David via "Whatsapp" messenger (a video call). [A weird name for a messenger, isn't it?] ...Liza assured me that David is getting enough vegan food. She also teaches him how to praise Sumerian gods, and he's making progress. She said that he devours tons of cucumbers.🥒✌ He also adores carrots, kiwies, pears, apples, parsley, etc. Why am i telling this? Because he loves a huge variety of veggies and fruits (he never refuses to eat some), but... when he sees KAPUSTA... he starts literally shaking: he makes wild hungry eyes, runs over, grabs this cabbage leaf, and starts guzzling it with self-abandonment! Therefore, everyone says that he's my offspring (kind of).🤣🤣🤣
I'm confused... Isn't kapusta a wooden spoon?

I got a message that Biovea are doing free shipping for 48 hours so I will order melatonin from there. I'm going to get 1 mg on Lou's recommendation.

I'm still feeling tired but I will try to get out for a walk later this afternoon.

Oh yes, I've started drinking fresh lemon in warm water in the morning as it is meant to be good for you. I used to do it but fell out of the habit. I might order some vitamin C as well.

I'm confused... Isn't kapusta a wooden spoon?
Haha, i'm sorry, i didn't explain it (just because our "old" VVers know what it is). "Kapusta" = "Cabbage" in Russian. And all cruciferous vegetables are called Kapusta. E.g.:
White cabbage = Bjelokochannaya kapusta;
Purple (red) cabbage = Krasnokochannaya kapusta;
Kale = Kudryavaya kapusta (a.k.a. curly cabbage);
Cauliflower = Tzvetnaya kapusta (a.k.a. colored cabbage);
Brussels sprouts = Brussel'skaya kapusta;
Broccoli = Kapusta brokkoli.
Etc., etc. :lol:
P.S. about wooden spoons. In old times, i.e. in times of Ancient Rus' and until the beginning of the 20th century, all males were taught to make wooden dishes from the very childhood, because it was essential for survival. The blank of a wooden spoon was called "baklusha". We even have a saying: "Bit' baklushi" ("To carve wooden blanks"), because it was a very easy task, almost compared to procrastinating.
Wooden spoons consisted of 3 parts: "Derzhalo", "Khlebalo" and "Peremychka". Wooden spoons were believed to possess magic povers, especially for males. The most magical atribute was a maple spoon (made of maple).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I walked 4 miles the other day, and I did Day 3 of the exercise videos by Pahla B this morning. I really felt it, haha. My legs felt very heavy, but I know I will be back in shape soon. I'm going to take a more leisurely walk today and let my legs recover a bit. :) It's beautiful out, so I want to get outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.