April Health Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really happy when I weighed 105 which is perfect for my height and bone structure. I managed to stay at that weight for a year or so I think but then life factors got to me and the pounds came back on. At this point I would be thrilled with 110. I just am having a really hard time not wanting to eat a bunch of junk all the time and drink too much beer. I hate this being stuck at home so much! And I can't seem to get any motivation to get back to the daily walks on the treadmill. The "crisis" weighs heavily on my mind sometimes.
This seems to be the case for many of us. :hug:

I haven't seen those kinds of machines. Do they use the same electrical impedance sensors that the scales use?
Yes they do although I don't really know how it works. You stand barefoot on some metal scales & hold some metal bars in your hands whilst it scans you.

• Informative
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I read that there was a Danish study showing that being in the overweight range was the healthiest to be.

The Healthiest Weight Could Actually Be 'Overweight', Huge Study Finds

I hate to say it but dont think those scales are very accurate....we have some from back when James needed to make weight for a competition & they always said different to the 'proper' machine in the gym. The gym machine tells you the body fat percentage for each part of your body too.

I got the fit track one. I wanted to get a new weighing scales anyway.

I also didn’t walk for four days. I was frozen/crippled with anxiety over this stupid closing. But we did it today. It’s finally over. So maybe I can relax a bit now and concentrate on fixing up the house and settling in.

Oh, that is good that you managed to do that in this situation.

I am still feeling very stiff from being off my medications as one was a pain blocker, Lyrica. I have just mopped my living room floor and I am going to do a stretching morning routine I found on YT. I will go for a walk later on.

I am still feeling very stiff from being off my medications as one was a pain blocker, Lyrica. I have just mopped my living room floor and I am going to do a stretching morning routine I found on YT. I will go for a walk later on.
You managed to go off Lyrica??? You are my hero! (No, you're a saint...):angel: ...I would like to get rid of painkillers either.:ooal: (I consume more Gabapentin than Pregabalin though, and my pain is probably of different origin than yours, but that would be nice to have a hope that somedays i'll be living a normal life, you know)... :sigh:

You managed to go off Lyrica??? You are my hero! (No, you're a saint...):angel: ...I would like to get rid of painkillers either.:ooal: (I consume more Gabapentin than Pregabalin though, and my pain is probably of different origin than yours, but that would be nice to have a hope that somedays i'll be living a normal life, you know)... :sigh:

What mg do you take? I was only on 100 mg. I felt terrible coming off it, like I was coming off drugs, which I suppose I was! I was on it since October.

What mg do you take? I was only on 100 mg. I felt terrible coming off it, like I was coming off drugs, which I suppose I was! I was on it since October.
As soon as my pain is very severe, i take 75 mg 4 times a day (300 mg a day), which is equivalent to ~1800 mg of Gabapentin (6 pills of Gabapentin a day, 300 mg each,- sometimes 5 pills, if i'm not physically active). But if i don't take painkillers for too long (within one day, of course), i just feel very bad pain (horrible), but nothing like if i have been on drugs. I admit that being on painkillers is an addiction, but OTOH, i didn't start taking them without a reason: it was aching, and i was trying to find a way to relieve it. I made a research and talked about it to my neurologist. He agreed, and started prescripting me Pregabalin. Then (this December), it was forbidden, and one needed a special permission to continue taking it. I was on Gabapentin by that moment, but i attained an appointment at Pavlov's research institute to get my permission back. Now i have 342 pills of Lyrica in total, but i've stocked up on Gabapentin either. Im hoping to stock up on it some more, so it can last me until April of 2021.*fingers crossed*.

My BMI is 19 however & last time I checked body fat was 19% however I was a fair bit heavier then!

Funnily enough 19 is one of my favourite numbers. 🤔 :joy:
I think the lowest mine has been was 21, right after I lost the weight. It’s funny how happy I was back then. It’s depressing when you’re not happy with what you see in the mirror and yet you can’t get up the motivation to change it. So many factors come into play.

I’m going to have to kick back in to WW. The only way to get the weight off is for me to track. I know different things work for different people and even though I “know” what I should be doing, I dont’ do it unless I track and count points. It’s not the worse thing in the world. Giving up the snacks will be the hardest. But again, once the summer fruits/melons come out, it will be very helpful. There are only so many apples and pears I can eat and feel satisfied. And for some reason, I’m finding it very difficult to eat bananas. I’ve lost all interest in them. I hope we will have a little more freedom with food shopping in the next month or so. I do not like other people picking out my fresh produce. I like to do that myself.

As soon as my pain is very severe, i take 75 mg 4 times a day (300 mg a day), which is equivalent to ~1800 mg of Gabapentin (6 pills of Gabapentin a day, 300 mg each,- sometimes 5 pills, if i'm not physically active). But if i don't take painkillers for too long (within one day, of course), i just feel very bad pain (horrible), but nothing like if i have been on drugs. I admit that being on painkillers is an addiction, but OTOH, i didn't start taking them without a reason: it was aching, and i was trying to find a way to relieve it. I made a research and talked about it to my neurologist. He agreed, and started prescripting me Pregabalin. Then (this December), it was forbidden, and one needed a special permission to continue taking it. I was on Gabapentin by that moment, but i attained an appointment at Pavlov's research institute to get my permission back. Now i have 342 pills of Lyrica in total, but i've stocked up on Gabapentin either. Im hoping to stock up on it some more, so it can last me until April of 2021.*fingers crossed*.

:hug:Is it for nerve pain? Pregabalin is very strong stuff, it does work well, though. I started on 50 mg and then increased it to 100 mg and then after a while I could barely notice any effect, until I stopped and then felt awful.

Today we are going to the new house to do some cleaning and wait for the floor guy. Then I have to go to Walmart for a grocery pick up. There will be some time in between so I’m hoping the weather will cooperate because I thought I would talk a walk around the new neighborhood to check it out. I don’t know how I didn’t notice before, but there is a lake a few yards from my house, lol. It’s across the side street and the other houses kind of hide it I guess. So I’m not even sure if there will be an access for me to get to it. But I’m curious.

:hug:Is it for nerve pain? Pregabalin is very strong stuff, it does work well, though. I started on 50 mg and then increased it to 100 mg and then after a while I could barely notice any effect, until I stopped and then felt awful.
If i remember it correctly, you were taking it against fibromyalgia, weren't you?:hug: (Pls, correct me if i'm wrong). Once my neurologist was telling me about his other patients who had been prescripted Pregabalin, and he mentioned the category of patients with fibromyalgia. He said that Pregabalin is not very helpful against fibromyalgia, though it's better than nothing.
It's quite helpful against neuropathies of various origin though. I have polyneuropathy, and Pregabalin and Gabapentin help me, and, luckily, i don't feel any side effects. OTOH, my neurologist was telling me that "as soon as everyone is different, some people with polyneuropathy experience bad side effects too". I thought: "That would be awful: to suffer from polyneuropathy, and to have side effects from the medication at the same time". So, i can consider myself lucky, sort of.

Last edited:
If i remember it correctly, you were taking it against fibromyalgia, weren't you?:hug: (Pls, correct me if i'm wrong). Once my neurologist was telling me about his other patients who had been prescripted Pregabalin, and he mentioned the category of patients with fibromyalgia. He said that Pregabalin is not very helpful against fibromyalgia, though it's better than nothing.
It's quite helpful against neuropathies of various origin though. I have polyneuropathy, and Pregabalin and Gabapentin help me, and, luckily, i don't feel any side effects. OTOH, my neurologist was telling me that "as soon as everyone is different, some people with polyneuropathy experience bad side effects too". I thought: "That would be awful: to suffer from polyneuropathy, and to have side effects from the medication at the same time". So, i can consider myself lucky, sort of.

That was why I originally got it but that was years ago. I took it again last autumn as it works on anxiety and my other medication gave me a side effect of restless legs and really painful cramps in my leg and Pregabalin can also be used to treat that. It did help although it was obviously only dulling the pain in my leg as I could feel it when I came off it!

I agree with the tracking of food to stay in control. I haven't done that for months and I know it works because that is how I lost all the weight a few years ago. It is just such a pain. And when you make a recipe, you have to weigh or measure every ingredient, add it all up, and divide up into portions to get a calorie count. I just got so tired of doing that!

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
Yes they do although I don't really know how it works. You stand barefoot on some metal scales & hold some metal bars in your hands whilst it scans you.

I don't know much about it and electrology has always been my weak point. But the things are based on the "impedance" of your body. I guess the more fat you have the lower your impedance is (I may have that backward - but that is a general idea). And i think it is logical to assume that getting the BF% of just one part of the body would be more accurate than for the whole body.

Maybe @Raven can use the BF% calculator and see if the two results are close.

I read that there was a Danish study showing that being in the overweight range was the healthiest to be.

The Healthiest Weight Could Actually Be 'Overweight', Huge Study Finds
I read the article expecting to find some reason to dismiss the study. But I couldn't.

Before we go into any of the details, these results are definitely not an excuse to cancel your gym membership and have ice cream for breakfast. No one's arguing that forgoing exercise and eating crap is your best shot at living a long, happy life. (Damn.)​
"BMI as a number alone may not be sufficient to predict health and risk of death,"​
This isn't the first time that a study has cast doubt on the usefulness of BMI. However, it probably is the most damning.

BTW, I can't remember which of our favorite Vegan doctors it was, (probably Furhman, Barnard. or Gregar), but they make a strong argument that being slightly underweight is the healthiest. The argument was something like our charts are based on averages and our averages are skewed up.

this is a good article about BMI

I read the article expecting to find some reason to dismiss the study. But I couldn't.

Before we go into any of the details, these results are definitely not an excuse to cancel your gym membership and have ice cream for breakfast. No one's arguing that forgoing exercise and eating crap is your best shot at living a long, happy life. (Damn.)​
"BMI as a number alone may not be sufficient to predict health and risk of death,"​
This isn't the first time that a study has cast doubt on the usefulness of BMI. However, it probably is the most damning.

BTW, I can't remember which of our favorite Vegan doctors it was, (probably Furhman, Barnard. or Gregar), but they make a strong argument that being slightly underweight is the healthiest. The argument was something like our charts are based on averages and our averages are skewed up.

this is a good article about BMI
I honestly feel my best when I am 15 lbs lighter but it’s very difficult to maintain long term. For me anyway. I did it for a good three years though. I know I can at least do better than I am now. I just need to leave the pity party I’ve been having the last six months. I’m more optimistic now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.