Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

A pan fried raw soya burger with steamed broccoli/evo/yeast flakes.
Rhubarb compote/soya yogurt/stevia plus a digestive biscuit.
A glass of chilled chardonnay plus some green olives.

Reactions: Val
I shredded the seitan, sauteed with onions and mixed in a bag of mixed veggies. Made gravy with the cooking broth and the starch I saved from washing.
Not sure I think washing flour is worth it- but it is cool to use the starch it leaves! Super cheap though, Aldi flour is only $1.20 for 5 lb

Tonight we are having a quinoa salad with cucumber and tomato and fresh herbs and red onion and lemon juice and olive oil. We will have it with "beef" sausages and a glass of red.

I really need to make some seitan. I do seem to like cooking more and more...I think it’s because I’m home a lot now, and not working. So I’m finding I have a “little” bit more ambition. I never really liked the seitan that I made so I need to keep trying until I get it just right. Maybe one of those no knead roasts would work for me.

I really need to make some seitan. I do seem to like cooking more and more...I think it’s because I’m home a lot now, and not working. So I’m finding I have a “little” bit more ambition. I never really liked the seitan that I made so I need to keep trying until I get it just right. Maybe one of those no knead roasts would work for me.
What do you add to it? I found I dislike chickpea flour! That was how I started making seitans, and the only reason I kept up was my son really liked it. I found I love adding tofu to the wet mix, and when I made sausages with the chickpea flour again it was "eureka! that's what I don't like!"
I just blend some tofu with enough water and seasoning and then mix in the vwg and let rest

Silk now has a whipping creme!

So I bought some TVP back when the pandemic started, thinking it would make a good meal, and it also lasts dry in the cupboard for a long time. So today I decided to try some in a Sloppy Joe like recipe with TVP. Sure is yummy.

That was lunch, but leftovers for dinner. I might add some vegan cheese and throw it under the broiler. I found a new nut cheese a while back from a company called Parmela Creamery. Their aged cheddar slices are so good! I've tried several of their other cheeses as well and they're all good. These folks got it right!

Silk now has a whipping creme!
I know. I bought it. And hated it lol. It’s just not necessary. It’s basically whipping coconut cream. If I need whipped cream I’d rather buy the coco whip or Soyatoo.

What do you add to it? I found I dislike chickpea flour! That was how I started making seitans, and the only reason I kept up was my son really liked it. I found I love adding tofu to the wet mix, and when I made sausages with the chickpea flour again it was "eureka! that's what I don't like!"
I just blend some tofu with enough water and seasoning and then mix in the vwg and let rest
I do add tofu. I’m not sure what I don’t like about it. Sometimes it might be the particular broth I use. Mostly I think it’s the chewy bready texture. I can’t seem to get a nice dense loaf. I have tried Both simmering it on the stove and also wrapping it and baking. I’m going to try again.

Reactions: silva and Val
Gigantic salad of chopped cabbage, finely chopped raw beets and store-brand pickled cuckes;
Crystal noodles with ajvar;
Honeycrisp apples;
Strawberries from our garden;
Dried figs;
Oregano "tea".

I do add tofu. I’m not sure what I don’t like about it. Sometimes it might be the particular broth I use. Mostly I think it’s the chewy bready texture. I can’t seem to get a nice dense loaf. I have tried Both simmering it on the stove and also wrapping it and baking. I’m going to try again.
Have you wrapped and steamed over water?

Have you wrapped and steamed over water?
This is the method I use for vegan sausages. The texture and flavor come out great. I have not tried to make just regular seitan this way, but I should give it a whirl. I'm thinking patties might work well this way.

• Informative
Reactions: Val and shyvas
Green asparagus, chopped peeled tomatoes, avocado with a couple of 'sea' sticks/vinaigrette/yeast flakes.
Alpro mango (nas) yogurt.
A glass of chilled chardonnay plus some green olives.