Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
A pan fried raw soya burger with steamed broccoli/evo/yeast flakes.
Rhubarb compote/soya yogurt/stevia plus a digestive biscuit.
A glass of chilled chardonnay plus some green olives.

• 👍
Reactions: Val

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
I shredded the seitan, sauteed with onions and mixed in a bag of mixed veggies. Made gravy with the cooking broth and the starch I saved from washing.
Not sure I think washing flour is worth it- but it is cool to use the starch it leaves! Super cheap though, Aldi flour is only $1.20 for 5 lb

• 👍

HappyRoxy

Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Tonight we are having a quinoa salad with cucumber and tomato and fresh herbs and red onion and lemon juice and olive oil. We will have it with "beef" sausages and a glass of red.

• 👍

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
I really need to make some seitan. I do seem to like cooking more and more...I think it’s because I’m home a lot now, and not working. So I’m finding I have a “little” bit more ambition. I never really liked the seitan that I made so I need to keep trying until I get it just right. Maybe one of those no knead roasts would work for me.

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
I really need to make some seitan. I do seem to like cooking more and more...I think it’s because I’m home a lot now, and not working. So I’m finding I have a “little” bit more ambition. I never really liked the seitan that I made so I need to keep trying until I get it just right. Maybe one of those no knead roasts would work for me.
What do you add to it? I found I dislike chickpea flour! That was how I started making seitans, and the only reason I kept up was my son really liked it. I found I love adding tofu to the wet mix, and when I made sausages with the chickpea flour again it was "eureka! that's what I don't like!"
I just blend some tofu with enough water and seasoning and then mix in the vwg and let rest

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
Silk now has a whipping creme!

• 👍

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
So I bought some TVP back when the pandemic started, thinking it would make a good meal, and it also lasts dry in the cupboard for a long time. So today I decided to try some in a Sloppy Joe like recipe with TVP. Sure is yummy.

That was lunch, but leftovers for dinner. I might add some vegan cheese and throw it under the broiler. I found a new nut cheese a while back from a company called Parmela Creamery. Their aged cheddar slices are so good! I've tried several of their other cheeses as well and they're all good. These folks got it right!

• 👍

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
Silk now has a whipping creme!
I know. I bought it. And hated it lol. It’s just not necessary. It’s basically whipping coconut cream. If I need whipped cream I’d rather buy the coco whip or Soyatoo.

KLS52

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
What do you add to it? I found I dislike chickpea flour! That was how I started making seitans, and the only reason I kept up was my son really liked it. I found I love adding tofu to the wet mix, and when I made sausages with the chickpea flour again it was "eureka! that's what I don't like!"
I just blend some tofu with enough water and seasoning and then mix in the vwg and let rest
I do add tofu. I’m not sure what I don’t like about it. Sometimes it might be the particular broth I use. Mostly I think it’s the chewy bready texture. I can’t seem to get a nice dense loaf. I have tried Both simmering it on the stove and also wrapping it and baking. I’m going to try again.

• 👍
Reactions: silva and Val

Val

Master
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Gigantic salad of chopped cabbage, finely chopped raw beets and store-brand pickled cuckes;
Crystal noodles with ajvar;
Honeycrisp apples;
Strawberries from our garden;
Dried figs;
Oregano "tea".

silva

Master
Supporter
Reaction score
I do add tofu. I’m not sure what I don’t like about it. Sometimes it might be the particular broth I use. Mostly I think it’s the chewy bready texture. I can’t seem to get a nice dense loaf. I have tried Both simmering it on the stove and also wrapping it and baking. I’m going to try again.
Have you wrapped and steamed over water?

PTree15

Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
Have you wrapped and steamed over water?
This is the method I use for vegan sausages. The texture and flavor come out great. I have not tried to make just regular seitan this way, but I should give it a whirl. I'm thinking patties might work well this way.

• ℹ
  • 👍
Reactions: Val and shyvas

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Other
Green asparagus, chopped peeled tomatoes, avocado with a couple of 'sea' sticks/vinaigrette/yeast flakes.
Alpro mango (nas) yogurt.
A glass of chilled chardonnay plus some green olives.

• 👍
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shyvas Supper/Dinner Time ! What's on the menu? 2018 Food & Drink 477
sallyomally Supper/Dinner Time ! What's on the menu? Food & Drink 6168
Damo What did you eat for Dinner/Supper today? Food & Drink 1109
jasonhocky What is the best appetizer for dinner you usually make? Recipes 6
Qwaychou New Years Eve dinner Holidays & Travel 7
Mikkel Christmas dinner Festivities & Special Occasions 22
jhanc High-end elegant vegan dinner experience march 23 Food & Drink 4
Oatmeal32 My breakfasts, lunches, and dinner pics and recipes: Food & Drink 1
shyvas What are You Having For (Vegetarian) Lunch/Dinner/Snack? The Vegetarian Forum 0
ski Dreading christmas dinner with family Relationships 9
Forest Nymph Middle eastern/mediterranean themed dinner party Recipes 2
Forest Nymph Vegan christmas dinner Holidays & Travel 29
N Tips on making a vegan hibachi restaurant dinner at home? Recipes 0
Trende Product 5 dinner recipes featuring hummus! Marketplace 0
Calliegirl James Beard Foundation Hosts First-Ever Vegan Dinner General 2
Trende Service 5 Vegan Dinner Recipes + Shopping List! Marketplace 0
Bluerice Bleeding Dinner General 2
W Yummy Vegan Dinner Recipes Recipes 1
Andy Brown What would be a delicious menu for dinner party guests who are gluten free vegans? General 4
Mikkel Going out for dinner General 9
Indian Summer Animal Rights Can an Animal Have Rights and Still Be Dinner? Animals 0
Bite Size Vegan Dinner With Gary Yourofsky & The Vegan Black Metal Chef Food & Drink 0
Amy SF Cafe Gratitude serves free vegan Thanksgiving dinner to all comers General 3
thefadedone How to Feed a Vegetarian/Vegan at a Holiday Dinner Festivities & Special Occasions 6
C Black Bean Veggie Burgers For Dinner The Vegetarian Forum 0
shyvas A Bear's Dinner ! Animals In The News 1
sequoia Vegan Wedding Dinner HELP ME I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING General 7
shyvas Dinner on Friday Night Food & Drink 10
shyvas What are You Having For (Vegetarian) Lunch/Dinner/Snack? 2018 The Vegetarian Forum 161
KLS52 Vegan Design Your Own Adventist-Style Vegan Dinner Loaf Main Dishes 4
sallyomally Vegan Dinner in a Pocket III Main Dishes 0
sallyomally Vegan Dinner in a Pocket II Main Dishes 0
sallyomally Vegan Dinner in a Pocket Main Dishes 3
Amy SF US El Pollo Loco adds plant-based options to their menu Food & Drink 1
Amy SF Taco Bell to add vegan option to menu Food & Drink 7
Blues French vegan fest off the menu amid fears of butchers’ revenge General 2
Lou Costco takes meat hot dogs off menu to make room for vegan food General 4
PTree15 Today's Vegan Menu General 111
Blues Wedding called off over 'meatless menu', bride finds another groom Relationships 1
Indian Summer UK: Petition - vegan meal on every school, college,uni, hospital & prison menu General 1
PTree15 Today's Vegan Menu (2017) General 65
Andy_T UK news ... Brides family refuses to attend wedding- vegan menu Relationships 23
GingerFoxx Today's Vegan Menu (2016) General 180
Andy_T Animal Advocacy Why Dog and Cat Rescue Shelters Are Taking Meat off the Menu at Fundraisers Animals 1
Cellyq Weekly vegetarian menu and grocery list The Vegetarian Forum 2
Indian Summer Vegan menu at the BAFTAs General 3
KLS52 Today's Vegan Menu (2015) General 303
Mikkel The Christmas Menu General 5
PTree15 Today's Vegan Menu (2014) General 388
AeryFairy Christmas Menu Help! Food & Drink 34