November Health Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had my yearly bloodwork done and already got the results. My cholesterol is high-195 total! LDL is elevated, HDL good, and the triglycerides good. Back in 2009 I was perfect with a total 169 and good on all else. I was taking kickboxing 3 times a week and had muscles!

I forgot about another small "without-booze-versary" (1 year & 9 months of relatively sustainable sobriety). It was on Nov.5th. Is it a councidence that every month, on this day (more or less), i'm thinking: "What if i drink a couple of bottles? Nothing would happen!" But then, Unghshu whispers into my ear, like if he was sitting somewhere above/behind my head. He whispers: "You can't afford booze! Your liver won't like it. Have you forgot how you were glued to the hospital bed, unable to move because of the severe ataxia? Do you want to develop a broken/cracked eyesight again and never see the world? Do you want to get back to go-carts? Do you want to fall back into pre-coma and forget who you are again? Do you want to be unable to go to the toilet on your own again?" And i always say "No, thank you!"
Once, Unghshu even didn't let me jump under the car,- he pushed me back and saved my life.

Last edited:
That’s great Val. Keep up the good work! You can do this! 💗

Just had my yearly bloodwork done and already got the results. My cholesterol is high-195 total! LDL is elevated, HDL good, and the triglycerides good. Back in 2009 I was perfect with a total 169 and good on all else. I was taking kickboxing 3 times a week and had muscles!
I need to go for mine. Mine was just around 200 before I lost the 30 pounds. Then it went down to 175. I expected it to be lower though. I’ve been putting off having it checked, mainly because I’m waking up so early, I can’t go without my morning coffee before the lab opens at 8. I’m such a darned baby lol. Plus, I gained ten pounds. I’ve been holding there and it’s not horrible. It feels like a comfortable weight for me, even though I’m not really happy with the way my clothes fit. But I can eat more normal without the constant counting and measuring.

But I need to get it checked. I had my appointment with the cardiologist and apparently I have some plaque buildup in my aorta. Depending on the results of the lab work he’s going to want to put me on cholesterol meds. I do not want that!

I know some people are just prone to high cholesterol regardless of diet, but it makes me mad that I would have high cholesterol on a 95% vegan diet.

I need to go for mine. Mine was just around 200 before I lost the 30 pounds. Then it went down to 175. I expected it to be lower though. I’ve been putting off having it checked, mainly because I’m waking up so early, I can’t go without my morning coffee before the lab opens at 8. I’m such a darned baby lol. Plus, I gained ten pounds. I’ve been holding there and it’s not horrible. It feels like a comfortable weight for me, even though I’m not really happy with the way my clothes fit. But I can eat more normal without the constant counting and measuring.

But I need to get it checked. I had my appointment with the cardiologist and apparently I have some plaque buildup in my aorta. Depending on the results of the lab work he’s going to want to put me on cholesterol meds. I do not want that!

I know some people are just prone to high cholesterol regardless of diet, but it makes me mad that I would have high cholesterol on a 95% vegan diet.

How do they do the testing for plaque buildup ?

How do they do the testing for plaque buildup ?
Interesting that you asked. I’m kind of annoyed because I was never told this before.
Apparently when I had testing for a separate issue back in November of last year, something showed the plaque in my aorta. I had a bunch of ultrasounds. It’s the only thing I can think of. I will find out more at my follow up when I go for the holter monitor. I want to know exactly what it was because none of the testing was for the heart.

Coffee? I used to avoid coffee, but the last two years my doctors said having coffee in the morning was fine. Or do you mean adding stuff? I drink plain. I did have a bunch of junky food the night before! I don't think that would be a deviation right?

I'm having my first colonoscopy this thursday. Pretty scared! Todays the last day I can eat almost normal, no seeds nuts corn, and should be more low fiber. Tomorrow and Tues I guess will be peeled white potatoes, tofu, applesauce and soy yogurt I'm making now. I may even make almond milk pudding!
Anyone have comments on colonoscopys?

I've been eating four brazil nuts once a month to improve LDL levels, and will start having a morning smoothie with greens and berries and adding things like tumeric/black pepper, and moringa. I was going to buy alma powder, which has been to improve cholesterol, but moringa was on sale and sounded good :rolleyes: . It tastes a lot like matcha, and combined with matcha really really kicks! I will replace the matcha with the moringa. It's really high in iron- not sure why not recommended more for plant eaters. My iron is fine though. All my other bloodwork was fine

Reactions: Val and KLS52
Coffee? I used to avoid coffee, but the last two years my doctors said having coffee in the morning was fine. Or do you mean adding stuff? I drink plain. I did have a bunch of junky food the night before! I don't think that would be a deviation right?

I'm having my first colonoscopy this thursday. Pretty scared! Todays the last day I can eat almost normal, no seeds nuts corn, and should be more low fiber. Tomorrow and Tues I guess will be peeled white potatoes, tofu, applesauce and soy yogurt I'm making now. I may even make almond milk pudding!
Lol at “oh, do you mean adding stuff?” This is me you’re talking to! 😁 Super strong with lots of Silk Creamer and a teaspoon of sugar.
I’ve had three colonoscopies. No issues whatsoever. I’m surprised you aren’t more restricted, though, the day before. I had to do clear liquids and then take the yucky stuff that makes you “go” before bed and again in the morning.

Some people clean out better that others. I have a friend who was canceled twice because she wasn’t empty enough. Now she has to do a 48 hour prep when she has it done. You won’t feel a thing unless your not being put under? I would never do that. But I have one friend who did it while awake and she did ok with it. No thank you...not for me.

Lol at “oh, do you mean adding stuff?” This is me you’re talking to! 😁 Super strong with lots of Silk Creamer and a teaspoon of sugar.
I’ve had three colonoscopies. No issues whatsoever. I’m surprised you aren’t more restricted, though, the day before. I had to do clear liquids and then take the yucky stuff that makes you “go” before bed and again in the morning.

Some people clean out better that others. I have a friend who was canceled twice because she wasn’t empty enough. Now she has to do a 48 hour prep when she has it done. You won’t feel a thing unless your not being put under? I would never do that. But I have one friend who did it while awake and she did ok with it. No thank you...not for me.
Oh yeah-Mon and tues I'm told to eat no fiber. The day before is Wednesday, and only clear liquids and the prep. then of course Thurs it's finishing the prep and water with the scope at 12:30.
What bugs me is that I poop a lot everyday as is, wouldn't that make things different than for those who don't even poop daily? Like I'm afraid I'll drink just a bit of the prep before going clear :oops: . That sounds so awful! They even have two Dulcolax pills to begin with, before the prep!!!

Are they going to perform anaesthesia on you? When i had it in hospital, my mom had paid for the anaesthesia (which is optional, depending on how rich you are, because it's pricy), so i didn't feel anything. The most annoying stuff is the necessity to clean your colon before the procedure (by drinking a special solution and going to the WC many times, lol. It may be really exhausting). But when the nurse brought me (on the wheelchair) to the colonoscopy room, they told me to undress and lie down on the bench. They gave me 2 thin transparent tubes with "fresh air" coming out of them and told me to breathe this gas. The next thing that i remember were their words: "That's it, everything's ok, you can go,- get off the bench and get back on the wheelchair!"

Reactions: KLS52
Oh yeah-Mon and tues I'm told to eat no fiber. The day before is Wednesday, and only clear liquids and the prep. then of course Thurs it's finishing the prep and water with the scope at 12:30.
What bugs me is that I poop a lot everyday as is, wouldn't that make things different than for those who don't even poop daily? Like I'm afraid I'll drink just a bit of the prep before going clear :oops: . That sounds so awful! They even have two Dulcolax pills to begin with, before the prep!!!
Oh ok that sounds right. You probably won’t have a problem if you go regularly. To be honest, I’m not suggesting you try this, but... *whispers*...I didn’t finish drinking the prep stuff the morning of the procedure and it wasn’t an issue.

Reactions: Val
I'm not going to get 'put out', just sleepy and awake. Anesthesia really scares me!

The directions say "till your poop goes clear". That puzzled me- then I realized what was meant :eek: I think a couple times of that should be enough, but Ill call tomorrow. Last thing I want is to not do this right

I’ve had anesthesia a few times and now I love it. There is always that fleeting moment where I think, what if I don’t wake up! But being awake scares me more.

I’ve had anesthesia a few times and now I love it. There is always that fleeting moment where I think, what if I don’t wake up! But being awake scares me more.

Agree and there's no way I would have an endoscopy or colon. without anaesthesia.:oops:

I'm not working out very much so far this month. The crappy weather is a major deterrent to running outside, and I dislike treadmills and indoor tracks. Sooo boring! And I keep meaning to check out the gyms, but I keep changing my mind about which one to join. Mostly I am being cheap.

It's actually good that I put it off, though, because the one gym I'm thinking of joining now has a special deal.

My goal for this week is to put together a strength training workout. If I don't have some sort of plan, I won't bother to work out at all.

Reactions: Val
Oh, I am supposed to do a Santa Run in a few weeks, although we haven't actually registered yet. So I guess I should do a few practice runs. Maybe this week I can run outside. It's been more mild lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.