April Health Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just in case there are any of you out there who are thin and have trouble gaining weight..don’t be scared off. I understand that can be an issue too. Don’t be afraid to join in the conversation. All are welcome. It’s easy to feel envious of thin people when you tend to be overweight but I want to acknowledge that the opposite can be a problem where health is concerned as well. 🙂

I second America's Test Kitchen!

I walked 4.2 miles today in the glorious sunny weather. And then I promptly had two cocktails in the backyard. I sat outside near my little fire pit. :D! It was gorgeous out, though. It really improved my mood. :)
That sounds just divine!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
Some of the new beauty standards are silly. I mean, thigh gaps? I don't see why that matters. Who cares.
That so surprised me! I never thought that looked sexy, and never knew any women/girls who had a thigh gap that were anything but stick thin!
I have always had what I considered large thighs. Of course when I considered them large they really weren't--they are now that I don't care!:joy:
Bwahahahahahaha :rofl: Look what Unghshu has found: a parody by CollegeHumour group (the subject - "The mystery of the female thigh gap"). It strongly reminds me "Ancient aliens" series.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
I just did 10 minutes on my trampoline as I was bored. :laughing: I'm having leftover beans and rice for lunch so quite a healthy meal.

I don't think thigh gaps are in 'fashion' now. That was a few years ago. Now it's all about big bums :D

I would think that the advantage of a thigh gap is that the inside of your jeans doesn't get worn out so fast. Also, you could wear corduroy and not make that funny sound.

Yesterday I was so tired I didn't do anything. Usually, I make Sundays a rest or makeup day, anyway.

I've been using 16 oz water bottles for dumbells and I'm ready to move up. On Saturday I went to the beach and filled up some bottles (plant protein shakes) with sand. I think they weigh 2 pounds each. That should work for a while. I'm looking at buying a set of dumbells (3, 5, 8). They are only $15 at Amazon.
M/W/F I'm going to continue with the YouTube exercise videos. I'm going to get in at least 2 walks of over 4 miles. and my plan is to start C25K on Tuesday.

I would think that the advantage of a thigh gap is that the inside of your jeans doesn't get worn out so fast. Also, you could wear corduroy and not make that funny sound.
I immediately thought of the jeans wearing out in that area. I had that problem when I was younger, but thanks to middle age, my weight has shifted to other areas (which causes other issues, haha), but the jeans are surviving these days. :D

Reactions: Val, KLS52 and Lou
LOL, it's a gentle way of saying "old(er)." :). The particular set of videos I'm doing is by Pahla B. It's geared toward people over 50.

I have been just jumping around YouTube doing various exercise videos. Today I thought I would try a Pahla B video. I did the TONING + STRENGTH Workout for Women over 50
It was pretty good. Like you said in one of your other posts, she is chatty. In fact, she doesn't ever shut up. I didn't find her annoying or anything. In fact, I was impressed by how she kept her train of thought despite having to stop every 30 seconds for instructions.
She required two different size barbells which I have but she also recommended getting a set. I was already thinking of getting a set. Pretty much the same ones she was using.

Reactions: Val and Chryssie
I have been just jumping around YouTube doing various exercise videos. Today I thought I would try a Pahla B video. I did the TONING + STRENGTH Workout for Women over 50
It was pretty good. Like you said in one of your other posts, she is chatty. In fact, she doesn't ever shut up. I didn't find her annoying or anything. In fact, I was impressed by how she kept her train of thought despite having to stop every 30 seconds for instructions.
She required two different size barbells which I have but she also recommended getting a set. I was already thinking of getting a set. Pretty much the same ones she was using.
I think she does it on purpose to help make the workout go by faster. :D That's my theory, anyway. Some of the toning ones I don't feel until the next day. She's sneakily "moderate." :D

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Today I need to go for an "easy run." So what I'll do is drive over to this other trail that doesn't have many hills. I think the reason I get so tired from running is my usual trail is full of hills.

I would like to start doing some upper body strength training. Pushups, and shoulder presses. I can fill a backpack with rocks to use as the barbell/dumbbells. I keep putting it off because I hate pushups!!

Today I need to go for an "easy run." So what I'll do is drive over to this other trail that doesn't have many hills. I think the reason I get so tired from running is my usual trail is full of hills.

I would like to start doing some upper body strength training. Pushups, and shoulder presses. I can fill a backpack with rocks to use as the barbell/dumbbells. I keep putting it off because I hate pushups!!

a 16 oz water bottle weighs one pound.
a 15 oz protein shake bottle filled with sand weighs about 2 pounds.

I haven't tried it yet but I think a 20 oz bottle filled with sand would weigh about 3 pounds.
I may buy a set. I am still shopping.

Last edited:
I think you've got a point there. I'm feeling really horrible & think it's all the bread & pasta we're eating! These things we don't have often usually, but with not being able to shop for fresh items as often, we end up going for store cupboard meals (quite rightly.)
I can relate. I wish things to get back to normal soon.

I have noticed that when I eat pasta, I tend to overuse ketchup, which is very bad for teeth.

And, I dunno if it has something to do with my genes, but my teeth have always been very high maintenance: they get dents easily and that's one reason for me to try to eat healthily. Just taking care of them isn't enough.

Right now I'm struggling with gingivitis. I'll brush my teeth with fluoride tooth paste three times a day, floss two times a day and take xylitol after every meal. No snacks. From now on, if I survive this, I'll take good care of my teeth for the rest of my life and never again neglect them.

I think you've got a point there. I'm feeling really horrible & think it's all the bread & pasta we're eating! These things we don't have often usually, but with not being able to shop for fresh items as often, we end up going for store cupboard meals (quite rightly.)

Don't you buy frozen vegetables and fruit?:)

I sort of manage with some fresh produce, plus frozen and a few jars of roast red peppers and heart palms.

I bought two huge heads of red & white cabbage, root vegetables which keep far longer than other vegetables. I always have cauliflower, broccoli, spinach leaves, bananas, rhubarb mixed berries, raspberries and blueberries in the freezer. Kiwi fruit also ripens quite slowly.

Reactions: Val
Don't you buy frozen vegetables and fruit?:)

I sort of manage with some fresh produce, plus frozen and a few jars of roast red peppers and heart palms.

I bought two huge heads of red & white cabbage, root vegetables which keep far longer than other vegetables. I always have cauliflower, broccoli, spinach leaves, bananas, rhubarb mixed berries, raspberries and blueberries in the freezer. Kiwi fruit also ripens quite slowly.
Yes we have lots of frozen fruit & veg 👍

I'm fed up of cooking.

I don't like cooking every day but then if I make a big batch of something sometimes I won't feel like having it the next day. It's annoying!

I feel really tired today, maybe because of the heavy rain or maybe from using my trampoline yesterday. Either way I don't feel like doing any exercise!

I managed to get around 5000 steps yesterday with a short walk around the neighborhood. The weather has been perfect for walks outside so I am taking advantage of it as soon it will be much to hot to be out even at sunset. It is so hard to control my food intake though!

Reactions: Val
Status
Not open for further replies.