April Health Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was bad and did not take a walk or get on the treadmill! Oh well. I will do better today.
I dunno if you even want advice, but I can't help myself. Feel free to ignore. :)
I was just wondering, that maybe you aren't that motivated to do treadmill or walking?
Sometimes people need to find a new hobby to get going with their healthcare routine again. For example, dancing could be one of those new hobbies that might inspire and help build confidence.
But then again, sometimes doing something you don't like, can be obligatory, I understand that... With me it's strength training.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
I’ve done nothing in a week but tomorrow is going to be nice and we are taking a ride to the new house to check on the floor project. I want to take a walk around the new neighborhood, maybe see if there is an entrance to the lake.

I got on the treadmill for my 30 minutes so good for me! I will just have to get back in the routine I had going for a year or so before my work schedule changed back during the Christmas holidays. I had been faithfully walking 30 minutes every single day! There is no excuse now not to do that again. I have just been unmotivated because of stress and depression. I am going to try to do the treadmill at least 3 or 4 times a week and hopefully get outside on the other days.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I was changing yesterday. 😮😫😂
So I started out good today. Tofu scramble with broccoli. No toast/bread/bagel. Saving carbs for lunchtime. I will be on the road visiting the new house and will try and bring something healthy to eat as there will be no access to upstairs where the kitchen is. But I can’t make any promises lol.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I was changing yesterday. 😮😫😂

We have a Ring doorbell out front and a camera in the alley behind the house. When I see myself in the device history, I'm always - Whoa wait!!! Is that me? Do I really look like that??? I'm a squat, little old lady with a mushroom head. :cry:

Wow, these are strange times. E and I officially resigned from the Y yesterday. They had offered a suspension of dues until they reopen, but we honestly don't think we'll be ready to go back into a gym facility for a very long time. E is looking into getting some kind of cardio equipment for in the basement. We don't really want a treadmill, because we'd prefer something low-impact, but elliptical machines take up so much room. Ideas appreciated - we already walk/jog outside and do online routines (me, yoga, him HIIT), but we'd like another option for bad weather. When we decide what will work, we'll look for something used, although I understand that used equipment is pretty hard to come by right now. :pout:

I've been walking through the neighborhood and getting in my steps - most days. And I've been been trying to be more disciplined in my snacks, so I'm actually down a few ounces - lol. But dang, I keep making these (relatively) big dinners because I have to feed this durn man! In the past, between his traveling and our dining out, I really didn't have to cook for him more than two or three times a week, but now it's every single night. And bless his heart, he needs REAL food, not just a spinach pie and side of applesauce. :fp:

I did splurge and sign up for a year of NYT cooking. I'm making a sausages dish tonight with Beyond Brats. If it's any good, my few ounces gone will likely be back tomorrow! :lol:

We have a Ring doorbell out front and a camera in the alley behind the house. When I see myself in the device history, I'm always - Whoa wait!!! Is that me? Do I really look like that??? I'm a squat, little old lady with a mushroom head. :cry:

Wow, these are strange times. E and I officially resigned from the Y yesterday. They had offered a suspension of dues until they reopen, but we honestly don't think we'll be ready to go back into a gym facility for a very long time. E is looking into getting some kind of cardio equipment for in the basement. We don't really want a treadmill, because we'd prefer something low-impact, but elliptical machines take up so much room. Ideas appreciated - we already walk/jog outside and do online routines (me, yoga, him HIIT), but we'd like another option for bad weather. When we decide what will work, we'll look for something used, although I understand that used equipment is pretty hard to come by right now. :pout:

I've been walking through the neighborhood and getting in my steps - most days. And I've been been trying to be more disciplined in my snacks, so I'm actually down a few ounces - lol. But dang, I keep making these (relatively) big dinners because I have to feed this durn man! In the past, between his traveling and our dining out, I really didn't have to cook for him more than two or three times a week, but now it's every single night. And bless his heart, he needs REAL food, not just a spinach pie and side of applesauce. :fp:

I did splurge and sign up for a year of NYT cooking. I'm making a sausages dish tonight with Beyond Brats. If it's any good, my few ounces gone will likely be back tomorrow! :lol:
Beyond sausages are sooooo gooooodddd. I rarely buy them because of the price, but I do always check for a $1 off coupon- and often find one on their site!
You might want to check this out, I've seen really good Test kitchen vegan recipes, and now that I'm thinking about it, should see if our library has the Americas test kitchen vegan recipe book--
They're offering three months for $1

Reactions: PTree15 and Poppy
You might want to check this out, I've seen really good Test kitchen vegan recipes, and now that I'm thinking about it, should see if our library has the Americas test kitchen vegan recipe book--
They're offering three months for $1
Thank you! I'm not sure familiar with America's Test Kitchen, but this is a great opportunity to check them out. :)

Thank you! I'm not sure familiar with America's Test Kitchen, but this is a great opportunity to check them out. :)
I second America's Test Kitchen!

I walked 4.2 miles today in the glorious sunny weather. And then I promptly had two cocktails in the backyard. I sat outside near my little fire pit. :D! It was gorgeous out, though. It really improved my mood. :)

Sat mornings I have the tv on and the show is on PBS. I'll check out what they're doing, sometimes it's a vegan thing. This is by far my favorite lentil soup-well appartantly it's now under their paywall :shrug:.
It's the Harissa lentil chickpea soup

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I am back from a walk around the neighborhood. I walked for 35 minutes and I have 6000 steps so far today. I went down some different streets tonight. I am sad to report there was a huge party going on yet again in the neighborhood across the main road.

I walked 4.2 miles today in the glorious sunny weather. And then I promptly had two cocktails in the backyard. I sat outside near my little fire pit. :D! It was gorgeous out, though. It really improved my mood. :)

Sounds lovely. :cool:

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I need to brag a bit. As I'm a bit proud of myself now. If you have problem reading about body weight and weight loss, skip my post.

1. I haven't drinken sodas or sugery drinks in two weeks now. Not a single drop. I'm very addicted to my soda, so I can't just have one. It starts with one bottle (0.5 liters) Friday and Saturday. Then one bottle a day as "I can count them as my calories". And then one more and one more and I'm suddenly back at 1.5 to 2 liters a day. Yeah. I can be that bad... After the Easter, I recycled all my soda bottles and I was a bit ashamed how much I drank...

2. Have a stoped eating candies.

3. I have gotten a better grip on my eating habbits. I eat for comfort. I'm very aware of that. And that is one of the reason I put on weight and struggle to loose weight. Since I don't need much calories to have my body going for a day, it's very fast for me to overeat on the calories. If I eat 2500 kcal a day example, even when I run, hike, work etc, I put on weight. So far I don't count calories, I will start that when I get on a platou and partly count when I start on my food trial again.

4. I have lost 4.1 kg in two weeks now. :) I'm very happy with that, and know that it's not going to be so fast all the time, but it's a good start this time.

I'm very motivated this time. I really need to finally do this. And I'm looking forward to start to run again. I have put a weight goal for when I'm starting with running, as I have had several inflamations in my legs this winter, so I want it to be not so heavy for my legs to run. Since I walk a lot in a good pace too, it's no problem to wait a bit with running.

During Easter and this corona time, there have been a couple of "body activist" (as they call themself) in the media to complain a bit. I have read the articles and looked a bit up on them on Instagram, and I have to say I disagree with them a lot. And I'm fat, so I'm allowed. :p
First of all one of them claimed it's no danger putting on weight, so that makes all sience so far just being fake news about how dangerous it is to be too heavy. Since I read that on Instagram. :p Then another of them complain about people posting about their workouts on Instagram. Just unfollow them then, and find fat people to follow is my thought. If people can't body shame you for being too big or eat too much, don't body shame others for what they do and look like. It goes both ways in my head.

Then it's a complain about that the beauty ideal is so narrow when it comes to bodies and weight. But why focus on that? Not everyone have a body to be in size 0 or what ever that is the beauty ideal. Have a health ideal. If you look at the BMI (yeah, I know this isn't the best, but honestly, I don't know anyone that can claim they have a BMI on 42 because of their muscles...), but it's a small guidence. If I look at myself, my weight range to still be in the normal BMI is 17 kg. 17!! That's quite a lot and shows that a healty body isn't neccessary a size 0. But sometimes it looks like several thinks that if I can't be size 0, it's not worth the job.

People have to be the size they want to be and there is so many reason why people gain weight and can't loose. But in the end, there are few of us that have a medical condition that says it's impossible to have a normal BMI. It's just harder for someone and easier for others. We underestimate how much calories we take in a day and we over estimate how acitve we are very often.

I spent most of the day on the couch reading but I did go out for a short walk this evening. If I can keep moving a little bit every day, it will be helpful. I also cut back on my food consumption after having a shock seeing my weight as I bravely got on the scale!

Some of the new beauty standards are silly. I mean, thigh gaps? I don't see why that matters. Who cares.
That so surprised me! I never thought that looked sexy, and never knew any women/girls who had a thigh gap that were anything but stick thin!
I have always had what I considered large thighs. Of course when I considered them large they really weren't--they are now that I don't care!:joy:

I'm investing on my health by eating more vegetables. Yesterday I got huge haul of carrots, potatoes and some cabbage, plus bananas.
It feels good to return to fresh produce after eating all that pasta, noodles and rice.

I like this thread. It's just pretty damn awesome that people take care of themselves. :)
I think you've got a point there. I'm feeling really horrible & think it's all the bread & pasta we're eating! These things we don't have often usually, but with not being able to shop for fresh items as often, we end up going for store cupboard meals (quite rightly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.