The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us (November 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A cyclist was hit and killed near my home a couple days ago. Feeling a little shaken up...I probably do as much riding in traffic as anyone else in my town. The cyclist was wearing a high-visibility vest, the driver thinks she may have nodded off...there's literally nothing you can do to be safe around drivers like that.

She's being charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Apparently it's perfectly legal to turn a cyclist into a cooling heap of flesh as long as you stop afterwards.

A cyclist was hit and killed near my home a couple days ago. Feeling a little shaken up...I probably do as much riding in traffic as anyone else in my town. The cyclist was wearing a high-visibility vest, the driver thinks she may have nodded off...there's literally nothing you can do to be safe around drivers like that.

She's being charged with leaving the scene of an accident. Apparently it's perfectly legal to turn a cyclist into a cooling heap of flesh as long as you stop afterwards.
Wow, so terrible. Sorry that happened close to home. ☹️

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas

We have lots of cyclists over here and I'm always terrified of running one over. I try and steer as far as possible to avoid them but it's always dangerous when driving near one. Traffic builds up and sometimes it's difficult to overtake safely as country lanes are so narrow.

Unfortunately, Cyclists and drivers don't make a good match. I've had to give up cycling because it's far too dangerous.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
It's quite chilly over here with a temperature of 1°C. I wonder how the stray cats are managing to find shelter ? We have so many of them in the neighbourhood and the population is growing steadily.

I'm off to see and a friend and we are planning to go walking in the countryside.

Hope you enjoyed your chilly walk, shyvas.

We had another questionable night of sleep 🙃 so just popped over to the shops today to grab a few things.

Today I offered E Brussels sprouts - complete disgust as with everything else 😂 he just has no interest in food yet.

Hope you enjoyed your chilly walk, shyvas.

We had another questionable night of sleep 🙃 so just popped over to the shops today to grab a few things.

Today I offered E Brussels sprouts - complete disgust as with everything else 😂 he just has no interest in food yet.

It was great. We walked for two hours and it was much warmer compared to my neck of the woods.

Off to have a nice mug of apple and cinnamon infusion.

Have you tried pureed carrots for the little one ? Most babies love carrots. :p

Sounds good! That's a decent walk too...probably got a lot of steps in there :sun:

True. He wasn't AS disgusted by pureed carrots as everything else. Yesterday I gave him parsnips, carrots & apple & he heaved. The boy just likes his milk!

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
Sounds good! That's a decent walk too...probably got a lot of steps in there :sun:

True. He wasn't AS disgusted by pureed carrots as everything else. Yesterday I gave him parsnips, carrots & apple & he heaved. The boy just likes his milk!

I don't bother about steps. :rolleyes: It was lovely to get out and we chatted non stop. :p

Try giving him a few spoons of carrot soup diluted with milk. I gather that you are still breastfeeding? It may be the texture that he doesn't like and not the taste. :confused:

What a chatterbox 🤭

Yes, he's only had breastmilk. I think you're right about the texture more than taste.

It's ok for now as he'll be fine with just milk but I'll keep offering him things to try out :)

Reactions: KLS52
What a chatterbox 🤭

Yes, he's only had breastmilk. I think you're right about the texture more than taste.

It's ok for now as he'll be fine with just milk but I'll keep offering him things to try out :)
I was just going to say, keep on offering him things. :) You never know when he might all of sudden embrace the new foods.

Reactions: hungryraccoon
What a chatterbox 🤭

It's ok for now as he'll be fine with just milk but I'll keep offering him things to try out

Indeed. It was yakety yak for 2 hours non stop. We did manage to talk to some dog walks and pat some gorgeous dogs. :)

Try and give him some pureed banana and orange juice as a snack. This will enable him to get used to different textures and tastes. :)

Reactions: PTree15
I placed a ghost bike memorial for the cyclist who was killed near my home last week. He was a bike tourist from out of state, just pulling into our town, so I never had a chance to meet him. I don't know how to contact his family, or if that would even be welcomed at this time, but I'd want them to know their loss is felt in our community as well.

RIP Eric Krauter

I placed a ghost bike memorial for the cyclist who was killed near my home last week. He was a bike tourist from out of state, just pulling into our town, so I never had a chance to meet him. I don't know how to contact his family, or if that would even be welcomed at this time, but I'd want them to know their loss is felt in our community as well.

RIP Eric Krauter

You could contact your local police station and ask them to forward your message to his family. They would automatically have their contact details because the gentleman died in your town. I'm sure that they would appreciate your kind thoughts.:)

From what I have read in the press the driver is being charged with hit and run. She deserves a very long prison sentence.

Reactions: Emma JC and Sax
It's like winter here, too. It's only 35 degrees and it's cloudy. I'm going to go to Aldi in a bit and do some shopping. I want to make cranberry muffins, but I need some orange juice for the recipe.

Tell us about your finds. I really like Aldi because they have lots of plant based food. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Tell us about your finds. I really like Aldi because they have lots of plant based food. :)
Me, too.
I got the vegan chik'n tenders to try. I haven't been that big a fan of the chik'n patties, but I thought I would give the tenders a try. I got broccoli, spinach, carrots, Brussels sprouts, celery, lemons and a grapefrut. I was going to get oranges, but they didn't feel right, almost like they were too old. The produce can be hit and miss, but it's mostly hit for me. :)

I also got tortilla chips, pretzels, vegan cheese, olives, saltines, two cans of peas, almond milk, canola oil, whole coffee beans and ciabatta rolls. All for $38.

Me, too.
I got the vegan chik'n tenders to try. I haven't been that big a fan of the chik'n patties, but I thought I would give the tenders a try. I got broccoli, spinach, carrots, Brussels sprouts, celery, lemons and a grapefrut. I was going to get oranges, but they didn't feel right, almost like they were too old. The produce can be hit and miss, but it's mostly hit for me. :)

I also got tortilla chips, pretzels, vegan cheese, olives, saltines, two cans of peas, almond milk, canola oil, whole coffee beans and ciabatta rolls. All for $38.

I really like both their tenders and burgers. I actually thought that after Boca's they were the best ones that I've ever bought. ;)

I agree about the fruit & veg. Sometimes, you can find better deals elsewhere if you have time to shop around. Their chips, coffee, chocolate, pb milk and tortilla wraps are really good value compared to the more classic stores. In CA, there wine ( Winking Owl) is really good value for money. However, I'm not sure whether it's available in your state.

I also bought some oranges the other day from Lidl's and they were under ripe which is unusual. So, I had to add a few drops of sweetener to make them edible. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.