What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a damn thing!! :jump: LMAO

Actually, I'm about to reheat the other half of my pizza in my big skillet, but that doesn't count.... :p

Reactions: Val
Eggplant/pattypan squash/red bell pepper/tomato "mesivo".:leer: .....Sauteed pâtisson tastes a little bit like courgette, butternut squash and turnip mixed together, but it's sweet! So, it goes pretty well with the rest of "mesivo" and doesn't spoil the dish, as i expected.:) So,.. yay pâtisson!:yes:

Reactions: Katrina
Pad Thai salad huh? I'm interested :)

I love strawberry shortcake! With biscuits-not the little cake some use. Baking powder biscuit with the strawberries sliced and sugared overnight to release their juices, and whipped creme. I made it once with whipped coconut creme and liked that
Yeah, that's exactly the kind of strawberry shortcake I made. It's the same recipe my dad used to make for us growing up, and it comes from this super old cookbook (I'm guessing from the 70s?). I really don't like those little yellow sponge-cake things you can buy from the grocery store. And I got locally-grown strawberries from the farmers market. I find that the grocery store strawberries are kinda bland.

The pad thai salad is from Appetite for Reduction. Did you want the recipe?

Not today, but over the weekend I gave my slow-cooker a workout: first I cooked some white beans, home-grown blackeyed peas, and brown rice. I measured the proper amount of water first and put it in the cooker. Then I added the legumes, and after they had cooked a bit I added the rice (which doesn't take so long to cook). everything came out perfect- cooked, but not overdone.

Then I cleaned it out well and baked some potatoes in it on "low".
home-grown blackeyed peas? That sounds really neat. I keep meaning to grow my own beans. Well, I tried to this year and something kept eating the seedlings... probably the bunny or squirrel.

That always makes me think of the Strawberry Shortcake doll. It was in the 1980s so probably before your time! She smelled like strawberries.:)
I actually had one of those dolls. I'm guessing it belonged to someone else first, since I have no memory of the show. There was a TV show, right? And there were other dolls... a blueberry one with short dark hair. And a couple others I can't remember.

I am going to batch cook tomorrow. I am going to either boil or part bake some potatoes, roast some chickpeas in spices and prepare black beans/rice/sweetcorn/veggies/onions to keep in the fridge in my glass storage containers for easy meals.:up:

That always makes me think of the Strawberry Shortcake doll. It was in the 1980s so probably before your time! She smelled like strawberries.:)
I actually had one of those dolls. I'm guessing it belonged to someone else first, since I have no memory of the show. There was a TV show, right? And there were other dolls... a blueberry one with short dark hair. And a couple others I can't remember.

I had Lemon Meringue and the Purple Pie Man.... :rolleyes: LMAO

il_340x270.1355840072_ih7s.jpg
il_340x270.998123033_elnz.jpg

Reactions: Katrina and Val
Overnight oats - not bad, but trying again now with soya milk instead of water!

Also heated up two bean burgers which I put on slices of bread, buttered generously with cream cheese.

Not sure any this counts as cooking ... :)

I want to watch that show now. Lol. According to wikipedia, there was a 2003 remake.

Overnight oats - not bad, but trying again now with soya milk instead of water!

Also heated up two bean burgers which I put on slices of bread, buttered generously with cream cheese.

Not sure any this counts as cooking ... :)
It counts!

Reactions: Second Summer
I made a chickpea curry with cauliflower rice and roasted brussels sprouts yesterday so I will have the leftovers heated up with some added basmati rice today.

home-grown blackeyed peas? That sounds really neat. I keep meaning to grow my own beans. Well, I tried to this year and something kept eating the seedlings... probably the bunny or squirrel.
Blackeyed peas aren't my favorite beans as far as taste goes- but evidently they're not a favorite of most garden beasties such as rabbits or grasshoppers either! So that was what I wound up harvesting. They taste fine when I mix them with something else such as white beans, anyway.

Do you like marigolds? They're one of my favorite flowers, especially the tall, full-size ones with orange and yellow flowers (I think they come in other colors too). The flowers smell sweet, but the leaves really stink, and supposedly they repel animals (although I suppose if the critters were starving, they'd just barge past them and eat the beans anyway).

Do you like marigolds? They're one of my favorite flowers, especially the tall, full-size ones with orange and yellow flowers (I think they come in other colors too). The flowers smell sweet, but the leaves really stink, and supposedly they repel animals

I know they're supposed to repel mosquitoes quite well....

So last night I made Lemon Garlic Orzo with Roasted Vegetables (recipe here), and it was freaking amazing!! I'll need to go buy more mushrooms and bell peppers soon so that I can make it again. And I need to figure out what sort of vegetarian protein would taste good with it. Maybe something as simple as baked tofu would work.

So last night I made Lemon Garlic Orzo with Roasted Vegetables (recipe here), and it was freaking amazing!! I'll need to go buy more mushrooms and bell peppers soon so that I can make it again. And I need to figure out what sort of vegetarian protein would taste good with it. Maybe something as simple as baked tofu would work.
That looks delicious!! What about just adding some garbanzos for extra protein? OMG, I need to make that now.... :drool: LMAO

That looks delicious!! What about just adding some garbanzos for extra protein? OMG, I need to make that now.... :drool: LMAO
H hates chickpeas, but I think some black-eyed peas or great northern beans would work well. Hmm. Or I could make some bean fritters and throw them on the side.

Let me know if you end up making it!

Ohh, veggie pot pie is perfect for this weather!

I've been trying to use up the last of the tomato harvest, so I made a batch of salsa and a batch of fresh pasta sauce. Both turned out really well. I'm going to freeze the pasta sauce.

Ohh, veggie pot pie is perfect for this weather!

I've been trying to use up the last of the tomato harvest, so I made a batch of salsa and a batch of fresh pasta sauce. Both turned out really well. I'm going to freeze the pasta sauce.
Indeed, it is. I want it every week now, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.