What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I've seen such wide variations on vegan worchestershire, then I noticed A1 sauce, which I have, seems kinda similar. What do you think?
I haven't tried A1 sauce in so long I can't remember what it tasted like.

Today I made bipimbap with spicy tofu and extra veggies. It was quite good. There's enough leftover to eat it again for dinner. Technically I made some of it yesterday too, since I prepped the veggies and tofu last night... I knew I'd be too tired today to do everything.

Last edited:
GRRR. ARGH. I give up trying to cook white rice in a slow cooker...

I attempted it for the last time this past weekend: I had been using the high setting in my two previous attempts, and although nothing burned, some of the rice was an overcooked glutinous mass, yet there were many undercooked grains too. I ate it anyway- it wasn't going to make me sick- but I would prefer my food to be reasonably nice in texture. I stirred the rice occasionally too during cooking, so I don't know why it wasn't cooked evenly.

Last weekend I just used the low setting, stirring occasionally, with just some fresh garlic added. Same result: some rice overly chewy, the rest mostly pasty-mushy. I ate some and put the rest in the fridge after it had cooled, and cooked some (dried) Great Northern white beans in the crock-pot (I had pre-soaked them while the rice was cooking the previous night). They came out perfectly. For lunch today, I heated the rest of the variably-cooked rice with some white beans, along with lots of fresh parsley and mushrooms, a bit of olive oil, some low-salt canned vegetables and soy sauce. Not a total loss, by any means.

The thing is, lots of people supposedly think rice is hard to cook- but neither white or brown rice gives me any trouble whatsoever cooking it on the stove (unless it boils over- I was hoping a slow-cooker would avoid that problem). No trouble with white rice in a microwave either- I just zap it for about 5 minutes in a covered casserole dish and let it site covered someplace to finish cooking with its own residual heat, zapping it again for a minute or two later, if necessary. (brown rice takes too long for me to want to use a microwave for that).

Last edited:
@Tom I wonder if you just have a lousy rice cooker. We used to have a high-quality rice cooker that made rice perfect every time. Then it broke (well, I broke it :oops:), and we replaced it with a different brand. The rice now cooks okay, but we can't leave it on "warm" for long or it gets mushy in some spots and overly dry in others.

I just made Santa Fe beans and rice. It's basically just bell peppers sauteed for a bit and then mixed with salsa, BBQ sauce, mustard, and a bunch of beans. Easy and tasty.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
@Katrina Once, my folks asked me if I wanted a rice cooker (for my birthday or for Christmas- I forget which), and I didn't want one. I was just using my slow cooker, or crock pot, as an experiment. It'll do for rice in a pinch, but for the most part I'll just use my range.

@Poppy I think that's a wonderful use of old bananas! I'll eat them old, but I think they're really best with just a tiny bit of green at the very end.

Very easy cooking day today, just the way I like it.:D

I'm making spicy potato wedges and salad for lunch.

I have a bowl of lentil curry and rice leftover so I'm going to make stuffed bell peppers for dinner.

@Poppy I think that's a wonderful use of old bananas! I'll eat them old, but I think they're really best with just a tiny bit of green at the very end.

I like them like that too. I've stopped buying bananas recently as I cannot stand them when they are even slightly past that stage.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
Our bananas usually turn black before we eat them all, so I like to peel and freeze most of them while they're still yellow. Then, I can use them in smoothies later. I'll keep maybe two or three at room temperature.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I made sesame-ginger tofu with broccoli and snow peas again. It's for dinner, but I can't wait to eat it, haha. I also made a buffalo seitan grinder with melted Chao cheese for lunch. I just finished it. Delicious!

Last weekend I had another try at crock-pot rice: I knew most of the rice was getting badly overcooked, so this time I measured out the water and heated it almost to a simmer in the slow cooker before I added the rice (and two of my indoor-grown jalapenos). About an hour later, most of the rice was actually cooked rather nicely, but there were still quite a few undercooked, overly-chewy grains. I think I'd get it cooked perfectly if I had stirred it maybe once during cooking, but most slow-cooker instructions I've seen advise leaving the cover on (no idea why- maybe it's because the low heat would take too long to get everything up to a proper cooking temperature again, and if you kept taking the lid off, your stuff would NEVER get cooked...)

I ate about half of the rice and brought the rest to work this week to re-heat in a microwave for lunch, with other stuff for extra flavor and nutrition. But this gizmo appears to be MUCH better suited for cooking dry bean dishes (such as chili) and winter squash.

A potato, cauliflower, & broccoli "sarcasserole".... :up:

Sarcasserole 2-3.JPG

This thing smells amazing! :drool: But I'm just going to cool it down & put it in the fridge. I don't wanna anger a potentially jumpy gut with cruciferous veggies, so I'll probably just snack on an English muffin or something.... :| Yippee. LOL

Reactions: silva
I made "bacon" bits out of coconut today. It's not too bad. I think it would taste better if I used larger coconut flakes next time. Of course, I haven't tested it out yet in an actual salad, so it might work okay as it is.

I also made the Caesar salad dressing from Veganomicon. Just letting it thicken up in the fridge for now. We may not have the salad until tomorrow, since I don't have romaine lettuce or the bread for homemade croutons, and I have no desire to go to the store today.

Reactions: PTree15
Last night I made stir fried green beans with a bit of sesame oil, mirin, soy sauce, and chopped walnuts. I felt like something was missing, so I cooked a few pieces of fresh pineapple to see how that would taste with it. Delicious! I ate that with brown rice and a vegan sausage.

Reactions: silva
Status
Not open for further replies.