What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roasted some cauliflower last night to make more "cheese" sauce. Did more of a smoky cheddar-style this time... lots of smoked Spanish paprika (during the second half of roasting and in the food processor)... a great deal of nooch, as usual... a little lemon juice for tanginess... had to use low-sodium veggie broth (and a splash of that creamy portobello mushroom soup) because I'm out of soy-milk.... Smells & tastes fantastic, though! :)

Smoky Cauli-cheese1.JPG
Smoky Cauli-cheese2.JPG

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I made a batch of roasted butternut squash soup. I might bake something tonight as well. Not sure what yet, though.

Reactions: Val
I made a batch of roasted butternut squash soup. I might bake something tonight as well. Not sure what yet, though.

That sounds nice. Will you be baking something savoury or a cake ? I'm planning to make a boiled fruit cake this week.

Fruit cake is nice to have at this time of year, especially when you have guests that pop in for a chat. This particular cake keeps for several weeks if stored in a tin or plastic container.

When you bake it you must leave it to rest overnight. It will then develop it's flavours and gain in moistness.

Last edited:
That sounds nice. Will you be baking something savoury or a cake ? I'm planning to make a boiled fruit cake this week.

Fruit cake is nice to have at this time of year, especially when you have guests that pop in for a chat. This particular cake keeps for several weeks if stored in a tin or plastic container.

When you bake it you must leave it to rest overnight. It will then develop it's flavours and gain in moistness.
I ended up making what my mom calls Poor Man's Cake. It has no eggs or milk and only 1 stick of (vegan) butter. It's a spice cake with raisins. This time I made muffins out of the batter and I got almost 2 1/2 dozen! I really like the size as the cake serving sizes tend to be larger. :D It's so good with coffee or tea.

I also made a batch of seitan, some of which I had for lunch today (buffalo seitan on a ciabatta roll with vegan cheese...delicious). Last night, I had a friend over for dinner, and I made a crispy spicy tofu dish over Jasmine rice and a side of stir-fried cabbage and pea pods. I will be having the leftovers tonight.

Reactions: Val and KLS52
I ended up making what my mom calls Poor Man's Cake. It has no eggs or milk and only 1 stick of (vegan) butter. It's a spice cake with raisins. This time I made muffins out of the batter and I got almost 2 1/2 dozen! I really like the size as the cake serving sizes tend to be larger. :D It's so good with coffee or tea.

I also made a batch of seitan, some of which I had for lunch today (buffalo seitan on a ciabatta roll with vegan cheese...delicious). Last night, I had a friend over for dinner, and I made a crispy spicy tofu dish over Jasmine rice and a side of stir-fried cabbage and pea pods. I will be having the leftovers tonight.

That sounds right up my alley. :lick:

I may try that with seitan. How do you make poor man's cake ?
Here is the recipe from my mom, who got it from my grandmother.

Ingredients:
2 cups raisins
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 stick margarine
4 cups flour
1 TBSP. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 scant TBSP. baking soda

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 F; grease and flour a tube pan or a bundt pan really well.
In a saucepan, combine raisins, sugar, water and margarine and heat to boiling; turn off heat and let cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and baking soda. When raisin mixture is cool, fold it into dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon until just combined. Bake at 350 for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If making cupcakes, use paper liners and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Reactions: KLS52 and Poppy
Here is the recipe from my mom, who got it from my grandmother.

Ingredients:
2 cups raisins
1 3/4 cups sugar
3 cups water
1 stick margarine
4 cups flour
1 TBSP. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. salt
1 scant TBSP. baking soda

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350 F; grease and flour a tube pan or a bundt pan really well.
In a saucepan, combine raisins, sugar, water and margarine and heat to boiling; turn off heat and let cool.
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, cloves, salt and baking soda. When raisin mixture is cool, fold it into dry ingredients and mix with a large spoon until just combined. Bake at 350 for one hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If making cupcakes, use paper liners and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

It looks similar to boiled fruit cakes. Instead of water I use weak tea.;)

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I made tempeh Philly Cheesesteaks. They were good. This picture doesn't really show the tempeh, but it was there, underneath the onions.

IMG_1645.jpg

Not done yet,- only started soaking beans... But i'm making mexican bean soup.:woo: Since i realized that boiled veggies are not good for my guts (i really can feel it:eek:), i decided that nothing bad would happen if i eat 80% raw (which apparently can't last forever:tinfoilhat:). And soups don't seem that attractive to me anymore (which is so sad:sigh:). But i'm craving beans, and i obviosly can't eat them raw, so... voilà!:p

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I made a thick mushroom gravy with plain almond milk and made that green bean casserole with it! First time I ever made it- I had it once and thought it awful, but I guess it was with canned beans :yuck:. I cooked fresh green beans, as those are the only ones I like! So delicious!
I also made a spinach artichoke dip in crescent rolls, like madame had made. I had no tofu so I just used some Just Mayo, onion dip mix, vegan mozz and filled two tubes of crescent rolls in the muffin tins. I still had some filling left over!
For someone who doesn't watch sodium I sure do feel it :rolleyes:

I made chocolate chip cookies and am about to make hummus.

A big pot of marinara sauce
Butternut squash soup
Two apple pies
A pumpkin cheesecake

Lunch will be cabbage & vegetable soup that I made yesterday plus leftover seitan and lentil mince.

For dinner, I'm planning to make some roast potatoes and carrots with either seitan sausages or seitan tenders.
Perhaps, a golden syrup steamed pudding for dessert.

Status
Not open for further replies.