How do you deal with the Cravings?

Hi, bibibis, I'm glad you refreshed this thread,

there was a lot of things I had planned to say to the OP but then he just sort of disappeared. And he hadn't seem very receptive to other people's suggestions.

but this is a common problem so may I'll just quickly respond to some of the things you said.

Since the OP said he was craving pizza (which has tomatoes) and meat-based burgers, I couldn't help but wonder if those kinds of cravings may stem partly from a need for more iron.

As I said earlier, cravings are very unreliable. They do happened but it's Way more likely that he craves pizza for the salt or the nostalgia.
Another thing I read, and also don't remember where, is that cow milk can actually reduce the absorption of iron from other foods eaten with it.

That is true about milk. Calcium reduces iron absorbing. And milk has calcium.
Also vitamin C improves iron absorption. Orange juice has Vitamin C. so if you were taking an iron supplement, take it with OJ, not milk.

I was slightly anemic before I became vegan. Probably just didn't have a good enough diet. but a vegan who eats a variety of healthy foods will get enough iron.

It doesn't make much sense, but I guess food has a lot to do with memories and nostalgia and all that stuff... Eating can be a very social thing.

So I think the easiest way, at least for some people, would be to get vegan friends and have hang-out nights with vegan food.
Creating new memories around cruelty free food.

There is a lot of vegan junk food out there. There is even vegan tuna now-a-days. So no need to eat animals really...
And if you are like "well, vegan junk is expensive..."
You don't have to eat it every night, just once a month. You'll get used to waiting for the junk food night.

Or idk. That's just what comes to mind right now. But I'm stupid so what ever...

For a straightforward, practical solution from a neuroscientist I suggest pulling up some footage from a relevant documentary. When I used to crave cheese I would watch Cowspiracy or Earthlings. Bacon - Dominion. It’s always worked for me. I hope someone finds it helpful.

Hi there,

I've been Vegetarian for 5 years now with the exception that I will eat a can of Tuna every few months just to keep healthy. But sometimes I get the maddest cravings for a burger or pizza, like very intense cravings.

I can somewhat justify eating small amounts of Tuna as A: My intake is extremely conservative and B: According to science, Fish such as Tuna don't go through complex emotions or feel pain to the extent of other sentient life forms.

I do feel bad for consuming milk and Yogurt which is all of my dairy intake. But those represent my favorite foods in life. I don't even know if I could imagine life without milk. The substitutes I've tried don't taste anything like the real thing and apparently, Soy can be problematic in large and frequent doses.

Anyway, sort of going off-topic there. Just wanted to give some context.

Lately, I've been craving a pizza with pepperoni on it. I can't explain why. I have been eating Quorn imitation meat products for years, And while they taste pretty good, they are also prohibitively expensive and don't quite hit the same spot as real meat or give any animal fats or vitamins.

I was so close to giving in the other day, trying to justify to myself that I've been a good boy for so long and it's only a small portion, but then my reason kicked in and I realized that if only a handful of people thought that way, that would be another cow being murdered.

I don't even know what I want to accomplish by posting this. Maybe if anything people know ways to make the craving go away. Thanks for reading and appreciate any input. :)
Hi there, Thanks for sharing your experience. It's understandable to have food cravings, even as a vegetarian. Finding satisfying alternatives can be challenging, but experimenting with homemade recipes or exploring different plant-based options might help. Remember to listen to your body and find a balance that aligns with your values.

Hi there,

I've been Vegetarian for 5 years now with the exception that I will eat a can of Tuna every few months just to keep healthy. But sometimes I get the maddest cravings for a burger or pizza, like very intense cravings.

I can somewhat justify eating small amounts of Tuna as A: My intake is extremely conservative and B: According to science, Fish such as Tuna don't go through complex emotions or feel pain to the extent of other sentient life forms.

I do feel bad for consuming milk and Yogurt which is all of my dairy intake. But those represent my favorite foods in life. I don't even know if I could imagine life without milk. The substitutes I've tried don't taste anything like the real thing and apparently, Soy can be problematic in large and frequent doses.

Lately, I've been craving a pizza with pepperoni on it. I can't explain why. I have been eating Quorn imitation meat products for years, And while they taste pretty good, they are also prohibitively expensive and don't quite hit the same spot as real meat or give any animal fats or vitamins.

I was so close to giving in the other day, trying to justify to myself that I've been a good boy for so long and it's only a small portion, but then my reason kicked in and I realized that if only a handful of people thought that way, that would be another cow being murdered.

I don't even know what I want to accomplish by posting this. Maybe if anything people know ways to make the craving go away. Thanks for reading and appreciate any input. :)
Hi, you have made some effort, good for you. However you are dismissing the life and sentience of land animals and marine animals by your
habits. Watch the documentaries "Seaspiracy", "cowspiracy" and "earthlings". Volunteer at a farm animal sanctuary.
No offense, but consider some other being besides just yourself!.

O
Hi there,

oat milk (vanilla oatly is the one i like). oat yoghurt. Alpro soya yoghurt has got some nice flavours.
The sharks need the tuna. They come inland looking for food as the fisherman have taken all the fish.

For a straightforward, practical solution from a neuroscientist I suggest pulling up some footage from a relevant documentary. When I used to crave cheese I would watch Cowspiracy or Earthlings. Bacon - Dominion. It’s always worked for me. I hope someone finds it helpful.
I agree. Cravings are most likely psychosomatic as a result of the enjoyment level of the food one is craving. I really don't buy the idea that it is because of a nutrient need. The best solution therefore, at least for anybody with any empathy at all, is to watch a good video like the ones you mentioned.

I agree. Cravings are most likely psychosomatic as a result of the enjoyment level of the food one is craving. I really don't buy the idea that it is because of a nutrient need. The best solution therefore, at least for anybody with any empathy at all, is to watch a good video like the ones you mentioned.
Hi, I do believe sometimes "vegans" do not eat healthfully and do not eat beans, get enough protein, iron, etcetera
and cravings can result from that...

there was a lot of things I had planned to say to the OP but then he just sort of disappeared. And he hadn't seem very receptive to other people's suggestions.

but this is a common problem so may I'll just quickly respond to some of the things you said.

As I said earlier, cravings are very unreliable. They do happened but it's Way more likely that he craves pizza for the salt or the nostalgia.

That is true about milk. Calcium reduces iron absorbing. And milk has calcium.
Also vitamin C improves iron absorption. Orange juice has Vitamin C. so if you were taking an iron supplement, take it with OJ, not milk.

I was slightly anemic before I became vegan. Probably just didn't have a good enough diet. but a vegan who eats a variety of healthy foods will get enough iron.
Yes, cows milk causes iron deficincies in babies. And cows milk has TONS of estrogens in it. Not healthy for men or women to consume.

Cravings?

Luckily there are so many substitutes around these days that I can usually feed my cravings. Yesterday I wanted some Doener and I made myself a pocket with all vegan ingredients.
YES there are TONS of choices, and multiple one's in frozen food boxes and elsewhere.

Reactions: PTree15