What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PTree15 -- Do you have a pot pie recipe handy?? First, do you use a meat "sub" in it? I'd really love to try making a pie, now that I have that shortening... never made my own crust before. :blush: Since I don't dig sweets, I may as well make a savory pie that I can enjoy! LOL :)

I know I'd put potatoes & carrots & peas in it.... What else? Broccoli, maybe..? :shrug:

@PTree15 -- Do you have a pot pie recipe handy?? First, do you use a meat "sub" in it? I'd really love to try making a pie, now that I have that shortening... never made my own crust before. :blush: Since I don't dig sweets, I may as well make a savory pie that I can enjoy! LOL :)

I know I'd put potatoes & carrots & peas in it.... What else? Broccoli, maybe..? :shrug:
@MadamSarcastra Hey there, I don't have it handy, but I just modify the Betty Crocker recipe (my version is from the early '80s) for chicken pot pie, which calls for chicken, peas and carrots. I sub broccoli for the chicken and don't use a meat sub. I use soy or unsweetened almond milk to make the roux and vegan butter, of course. I also don't use the Betty Crocker crust part of the recipe; I have my own, but I'm sure the BC one would be good, too. I've never thought to put potatoes in it. That sounds really good! I can post a pic of the recipe sometime tonight after work, if that's cool.

Comfort food, in the form of broccoli-onion-"cheese" potato skins.... Super easy with the frozen naked skins & frozen broccoli, plus I mix the filling ingredients all together now: Half the bag of chopped broccoli (so it can thaw), half a red onion (chopped), about 1/3 of a bag of Daiya cheddar shreds (chopped finer), and all my seasoning (Mrs. Dash, dill weed, garlic powder, & plenty of nooch)....

10-6-18 Skins1.JPG
10-6-18 Skins2.JPG
10-6-18 Skins3.JPG

I topped with a few more shreds... and I have enough of the filling/topping left for the remaining frozen skins.

Reactions: Brian W and Val
Comfort food, in the form of broccoli-onion-"cheese" potato skins.... Super easy with the frozen naked skins & frozen broccoli, plus I mix the filling ingredients all together now: Half the bag of chopped broccoli (so it can thaw), half a red onion (chopped), about 1/3 of a bag of Daiya cheddar shreds (chopped finer), and all my seasoning (Mrs. Dash, dill weed, garlic powder, & plenty of nooch)....

View attachment 14978
View attachment 14979
View attachment 14980

I topped with a few more shreds... and I have enough of the filling/topping for the remaining frozen skins.
Hi sweetie!:wave: These things look really deliscious.:flower: Bon appetit and good night! :kiss: :mcat:

Ugh.:dizzy: :D It's 6.25 a.m. ...Just have finished cooking and tried my epic soup of chickpeas, lots of green beans, bell peppers, beets, carrots, cabbage, baby corn, snow peas, corn, potatoes, green peas, tomatoes, flaxseed flour, sumac, cayenne salsa and yeast seasoning.:leer: (It's my first chickpea soup).:ignore:
Earlier in the evening i cooked my new "mesivo" of black (forbidden) rice, white cabbage and teriyaki sauce.
I'm glad that black rice has become available in our "Okey" chain of grocery stores. Tomorrow we will be in that part of the town and i'm gonna buy some more. Oh, and i'm super excited that kale has appeared again in "Okey" next to my work. It's quite pricey, but i like it, and it's friendly to my guts.:rofl: The only problem is hummus, which is very hard to find, but i'll handle it somehow.:pride:
Btw, i've found the site "Gotovim.ru" ("We are cooking"), which offers 350 recipes with cabbage. Half of them are for omnis, but anyway, it's nice to watch that passion for cabbage is still alive in russian people. Perhaps, my love to cabbage is something genetically predisposed.:p

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Today I made a fresh batch of salsa with the tomatoes from my garden. Then I shredded the last zucchini to make: chocolate zucchini smoothies, zucchini bread, and two 1-cup portions of frozen zucchini for later. The bread is baking right now. Mmm.

Oh, and yesterday I shredded some of the horseradish root that my father gave me. The rest of the plant is in the garden. I may cut off a piece to plant in a different area, in case it doesn't like the front yard.

I've been totally lazy today. I had a ready made pizza for lunch and a sandwich for dinner.:D

Tonight I am just making some brown rice and peas to go in the fridge ready for a stir fry or stuffed peppers.

I'm going to cook properly tomorrow. I am going to make a vegan cottage/Shepherd's pie.

I'm not sure whether to use vegan beef mince or just lentils. Hmm.

I made a huge batch of caramelized onion chutney this weekend and filled up 10 250ml jars and one larger jar. I'll give away the smaller jars closer to Christmas. The larger one is in the fridge for us to start using, though I'm wondering if I should seal that one too.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
Yesterday I made a horrible attempt at chili! I only had tomato puree and it came out like beans in somewhat spicy ketchup. My son suggested I give it to an Indian person and they'd fix it right up--so I tried it myself. I had a container of coconut milk in the freezer and a jar of curry paste in the fridge. Made basmati rice and it was very good!
The curry paste had a expire date of 2016. Has some oil in it but had always been sealed in the fridge. Seems fine o_O

Do you make pie crust or buy one? I found this European Bakery Style Dough | Wewalka but it was $3.00 and only one crust :rolleyes:
Still checking Aldi's Baker House for a change- they had been veg shortening, now lard :(
Funny- I found refrigerated pies seem to use veg! I want to make savory pie
I make my own crust. It's my aunt's recipe. That reminds me, I was supposed to post the Betty Crocker (chicken) pot pie recipe here...D'OH. Will find that one and do it. :D

Reactions: Val and silva
20181015_205443.jpg

OK, I use broccoli instead of chicken and nondairy milk and vegan butter instead of the dairy. I use veggie broth instead of the meat broth. I can include the celery seed crust if wanted, otherwise use a crust for a savory pie.

Attachments

• 20181015_205443.jpg
    20181015_205443.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Val
Holy crap, it worked! :clp: And I used up some leftovers! :up:

This evening's "Let's just wing it & see what happens" cooking experiment yielded:

Roasted garlic-mashed potato-spinach-broccoli-onion-cheddar muffins.... :weird:

10-15-18 Exp1.JPG
10-15-18 Exp2.JPG
10-15-18 Exp3.JPG
10-15-18 Exp4.JPG
10-15-18 Exp5.JPG

Took a taste of an un-topped smaller one & oh, my.... :drool: But I still needed an actual thing for dinner & my creativity is tapped out, so I'm gonna have another beer & listen to jazz while my Amy's burrito is in the oven... should be ready around midnight. :cool: LOL

Just have finished making (and now devouring it:D) my new borscht of green lentils, beets, carrots, bell peppers, baby corn, red beans, small amount of frozen potatoes, lots of cabbage, green beans, flaxseed flour and cayenne salsa.:leer: And finished pickling yuba.:woo: Liza woke up, crawled to the kitchen, saw my 4.5 litre pot of soup, made square eyes and uttered: "Are you really gonna eat it all???":rofl: It's so hot outside that i've opened all the windows but it doesn't help.o_O The kids at the dance class are acting, as we say (literally), like a boiled rutilus fish.:p

I didn't cook this today- it was over this past Sunday night. I rinsed and scrubbed off a number of smallish white potatoes from the bag I bought, took one of my butternut squashes (medium-size), cut the stem off, and scooped out the seeds from the bottom. I put the potatoes around the wall of my slow cooker and put the squash upside-down in the middle of the potatoes; it just fit. Then I put the lid on and set it on "low"; this was a little after 7 PM. At 4AM, I had to get up for something so I checked on the veggies. I tried a potato and stuck the squash to see if it was done... everything was cooked perfectly! I thought the squash probably took longer to cook than the potatoes, so putting it in the center may have been a good idea. I turned it off and left it covered.

That morning when I got up I had some of the potatoes drizzled with a bit of vegetable oil. They were only slightly warm at that point. YUM!!!!!!

So yesterday I made the citrus noodle thing with tofu. The tofu was amazing. The citrus sauce for the pasta wasn't so great. I mean, it COULD be great if I use a bit less lemon juice and add something sweet.. it was a little too sour for my taste, and I love tart/sour foods.

Today I had leftover carrots, cucumbers, and rice noodles, so I made a peanut sauce and served that all together. Yummy!

I've been cooking more often, now that there's not much gardening to do.

Reactions: Brian W and Val
I forgot to mention that I made a batch of Caribbean jerk sauce sometime last week.

I haven't cooked much else in the past few days. I'm gearing up for another cook session soon: maybe some baked tomatoes or another batch of salsa. I can't decide what to do with the rest of the garden tomatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.