What Did You Cook or Bake today?

I’m going to go with the southern traditional black eyed peas. I just don’t know what I’m going to do with them. I might just open a can and throw some in a bowl of my vegetable soup that I made yesterday.

Reactions: Val
:???:I thought this one was the new one... Never mind...

That's right, it's a new one for 2019.
We have decided to lock the former ones as they contained a large number of posts due to their popularity.
We have also locked the many duplicate threads that sometimes keep popping up.
Too many duplicate threads make the forum look messy.

Last edited:
Yaay, a thread I started became popular! :smile:

So I didn't make this today, but a couple days ago I made vegan mac & cheese BLT. The recipe is from the newest edition of VwaV, which I bought with a gift card after Christmas... my original edition is falling apart. And this new edition has a few new recipes in it! The mac & cheese BLT was delicious. It didn't taste like cheese to me, but it was good. H liked it too.

Reactions: Val and PTree15

So I didn't make this today, but a couple days ago I made vegan mac & cheese BLT. The recipe is from the newest edition of VwaV, which I bought with a gift card after Christmas... my original edition is falling apart. And this new edition has a few new recipes in it! The mac & cheese BLT was delicious. It didn't taste like cheese to me, but it was good. H liked it too.
That sounds so good! I had vegan mac & cheese bites at Veggie Galaxy a while back, and it got me thinking that I need a good recipe for vegan mac & cheese. I've tried a few over the years, but they have been less than satisfying.

That sounds so good! I had vegan mac & cheese bites at Veggie Galaxy a while back, and it got me thinking that I need a good recipe for vegan mac & cheese. I've tried a few over the years, but they have been less than satisfying.
The recipe just happens to be posted on her blog! I dunno if you already have the new VwaV edition... if not, you can find the recipe here.

Please, excuse my ignorance, but what are BLT and VwaV??:???: (My narrow mind is not cappable of understanding such sophisticated terms:D).

Please, excuse my ignorance, but what are BLT and VwaV??:???: (My narrow mind is not cappable of understanding such sophisticated terms:D).
Blt = bacon lettuce tomato (common type of sandwich here). Vwav = vegan with a vengeance

Silva's is very good. I made a few minor changes, for personal taste, but it's my go-to recipe now.

I bought a large butternut squash at Lidl's on Sunday so have decided to make a curry. I made the usual Madras style sauce and it's all happily bubbling away on the hob.

Does anyone like that 'cheese' sauce with the carrots and potatoes? :yuck: I'm going to try it with cauliflower instead of carrots. All I taste are carrots! I'm p'ssed because it's called "the best vegan cheese sauce", so I click the link :p

I made a good not refried beans using the pico de gallo spices I got from Penzeys along with garlic and jalepanos. It again solidified my realization that most of what I like in so many foods is salt- I had to add Adobe salt (a garlic blend) to get it good:oops:

Reactions: Sproutskies
Silva's is very good. I made a few minor changes, for personal taste, but it's my go-to recipe now.
What did you do? My goal for that thread was for everyone to list their own ideas!
I'm always tweeking mine!
Which now reminds me that I wanted to try lactic acid. On a facebook vegan cheese thread they always talk of lactic acid

Reactions: Sproutskies
What did you do? My goal for that thread was for everyone to list their own ideas!
I'm always tweeking mine!
Which now reminds me that I wanted to try lactic acid. On a facebook vegan cheese thread they always talk of lactic acid
I leave out the vinegar and lemon juice, and increase the mustard. Because, German.

After the first time, I didn't measure, which is normal for me, but also means that things are never exactly the same. (Which I actually find to be one of the pleasures of cooking, and of eating.)

But your combination of ingredients is excellent, by far the favorite of both my sister and me. I use it not only for mac and cheez, but also potato casseroles, with broccoli or cauliflower, as a baked potato topping, on burgers,etc. My sister wants me to make pizza and try it on that.

Reactions: Sproutskies and Val
I leave out the vinegar and lemon juice, and increase the mustard. Because, German.

After the first time, I didn't measure, which is normal for me, but also means that things are never exactly the same. (Which I actually find to be one of the pleasures of cooking, and of eating.)

But your combination of ingredients is excellent, by far the favorite of both my sister and me. I use it not only for mac and cheez, but also potato casseroles, with broccoli or cauliflower, as a baked potato topping, on burgers,etc. My sister wants me to make pizza and try it on that.
Thank you-- I also am always doing things differently whether it's from a book or one I've come up with! I'm glad you flagged this because I'd like to make it again!
I post recipes here just so I can have reference

Does anyone else know of the app copymethat? It's wonderful! You just click it when on a page you want the recipe saved and it copies it and saves for you! You can uncheck the boxes by steps you don't want to customize how it looks, or make changes. I just did that for my recipe on that thread I posted, so now I can just go to copymethat.com ! Yes, it's free!

Reactions: Sproutskies and Val
Today I made this Mediterranean dish of pasta tossed with toasted almonds and sauteed radicchio, fennel, garlic, and green onions. The recipe used tons of olive oil, which really made the dish. I think it makes a big difference that I've switched over to a higher quality of olive oil. It's supposed to be a main dish, but I'm still a bit hungry. It needs some sort of protein thrown into it, maybe some beans or baked tofu.

Reactions: shyvas and Val
I made that mushroom seitan again, but used more oats this time, and fresh garlic.
I'll know how it is tomorrow :rolleyes:

Reactions: KLS52