What did you cook or Bake today? (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, this was last night, but I'm having it again tonight, so I'm posting it here. :D I made a burrito bowl a la Moe's with brown rice, black beans, marinated tofu (in Italian dressing), tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, onions and homemade guacamole. I topped it with Daiya cheddar shreds, hot sauce and salsa. It was delicious!!

I would like to see a photo of that.:drool:

This isn't from today, but this summer I managed to cross a few things off of my "I must make this soon" list: homemade potato gnocci, strawberry shortcakes from scratch (the same recipe my father made during my childhood), basil pesto, garlicky artichoke and potato soup, potato and broccoli dill soup.

Today I am picking up a CSA box filled with freshly picked veggies and fruits from the farm. Whatever I make next will be based off of those ingredients, kinda like the show Chopped! where the chefs open up a picnic basket of random ingredients and need to make a meal with them all. Heheh.

ETA: I also want to make corn chowder made from fresh corn on the cob. I hope I get corn in the basket today!

Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
I am trying to do something with all the produce in the fridge. The CSA box is forcing me to cook with veggies whether I want to or not! And we just got MORE stupid yellow beans when I don't even like them. Gahh! I'll just make a four-bean salad next week.

Today I made a Greek salad inspired orzo pasta salad to use up the cucumbers, tomatoes, and red onion. We have a bunch of eggs from the local farm, so I'm going to make leek quiche. I'm not a huge fan of eggs, so I hope that H will eat them. At least the eggs are not from a factory farm.

I also need to make another batch of veggie shepherd's pie, which I will then freeze. Maybe I'll cut up some of the stupid yellow beans and add them to the filling.

Reactions: PTree15
Oh yeah, and I have a recipe for vegan cabbage slaw that looks really good. I need to do something with the head of cabbage we got last week, so I'll just make that.

Reactions: PTree15
I got more tomatoes from my friend, so today I made veggie chili and spaghetti sauce (the sauce is actually still cooking). I also made some quinoa to go with the chili. It was really tasty! Yesterday I made hummus and chickpea salad. I also took a bunch of the tomatoes and turned them into crushed tomatoes, which I will use for more sauce. I froze them in the portions needed for my sauce recipe. I was going to make black bean burgers, but I ran out of steam, lol.

I got more free veggies over the weekend, including eggplant, so I am making another batch of eggplant balls. I had some eggplant leftover from the recipe, so I sliced it up and breaded it for lunch tomorrow. I will top it with Daiya mozarella and homemade spaghetti sauce. Yum. I wanted to make seitan, but I'm running out of time for tonight, lol. I think I will make some tomorrow night after work. I want to have buffalo seitan nuggets for Thursday night's football game (my team is playing).

Reactions: Val
Not cooked today, but taken them out of the molds today.

First try on top eight free vegan cheddar. It will be exciting to try to use them later. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: Val and KLS52
Cool! Can't wait to hear your review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, this was from last night: buffalo seitan nuggets and vegan nachos. Tonight I am going to have a seitan cheezsteak and maybe make some BBQ tofu for the weekend. And now that I have my new crockpot, I'm thinking baked beans.

I roasted a huge butternut squash and then made soup with it (it is delicious!). I have enough to make more soup, as I used only half the squash. I might make some sort of patties with the other half instead of soup just for something different. The soup is really good, though. I froze some of it, but I will be eating it all week, as it's my busy week at work. It will be good to have something delicious for the long days/nights.

Reactions: MadamSarcastra
It was late on Sunday and I needed to whip up some meals for the week with minimal thought. Into the crock pot I put red potatoes, eggplant, onions, leftover spaghetti sauce and some herbs and spices. That actually turned out reasonably tasty. I also made a roasted butternut squash casserole by putting diced squash, sliced mushrooms, onion and chickpeas into a baking dish, pouring over a sauce made with vegan chicken broth, almond milk and corn starch, and seasoning everything with garlic powder, ground sage, nutmeg, salt and pepper. I baked that for about 45mins in the oven. For something that I made up as I went along, it was actually quite delicious.

It was late on Sunday and I needed to whip up some meals for the week with minimal thought. Into the crock pot I put red potatoes, eggplant, onions, leftover spaghetti sauce and some herbs and spices. That actually turned out reasonably tasty. I also made a roasted butternut squash casserole by putting diced squash, sliced mushrooms, onion and chickpeas into a baking dish, pouring over a sauce made with vegan chicken broth, almond milk and corn starch, and seasoning everything with garlic powder, ground sage, nutmeg, salt and pepper. I baked that for about 45mins in the oven. For something that I made up as I went along, it was actually quite delicious.
That is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Perhaps I will make that with the rest of my squash. It sounds delicious!!

I made a batch of seitan last night along with sweet potato fries.

Just finished up the scalloped potatoes! :D They need to cool. Kitchen was quite dark by that time, awful lighting. They smelled friggin' amazing, though! :woo:

ScallopedTaters.jpg

The "making of" can be viewed here.... LOL :rolleyes: Whatcha Makin'??

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.