What did you cook or Bake today? (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrina

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Here's a place to post our latest cooking/baking endeavors.

Did you try baking a dessert that you've never tried before? Try out a recipe from a new vegan cookbook? Or maybe you pulled out your all-time favourite recipe that everybody loves and made a huge batch for dinner?

I just went on a cooking binge today, so I'll start off the thread.

Today I made:

- silky mayo dressing from veganomicon
- homemade V8 drink
- mashed potatoes, which I put on top of leftover shepherd's pie filling to make another batch of shepherd's pie
- a batch of yogurt (currently fermenting on the counter)
- salad dressing from scratch
- a salad with cucumber, tomato, and green onions

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PTree15
Geez, that's very ambitious of you! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a big cooking/prep day as well:
Three batches of pesto;
Spaghetti
Sauteed onions and green peppers (for dinner later this week)
Sauteed beet greens (for tonight's dinner)
A salad of raw beet greens, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, green peppers, shredded carrots, dill pickle slices and Daiya mozzarella shreds

Reactions: Katrina
I ended up making some "breakfast bean cookies" last night when I found out that my SO has been eating McDonald's apple pies for breakfast!! The cookies have finely ground rolled oats, brown sugar, pureed white beans, chocolate chips, almonds, flour, etc. They taste pretty good. Probably still not the healthiest breakfast ever, but at least it has some protein and fibre in it.

I fried up some more eggplant. I love it so much right out of the fry pan. I will be putting it together with tofu ricotta again. It was so good when I made it for my friends. I was telling a co worker about it and I want to bring some for her to try.

Reactions: Katrina
Well, it's truly a mish-mash of awesomeness, I have to say. :p I heated up the rest of my roasted garlic/roasted red pepper/red lentil stuff, added what was left of my veggie rotini (cooked al dente), AND one small container of Amy's organic (light in sodium) mac-n-cheese.... along with a lot of nooch & some baby spinach & diced Roma tomato.

photoalbum_499431116_user70471033-1.jpg

WOW, did that sh*t turn out SOO tasty!! :drool: I'm gonna bring what's left to Jerry's tonight 'cuz I'm gonna crash there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katrina and KLS52
I tried three new recipes. In my usual style, I couldn't help but make my own slight modifications to each:

Zucchini Ravioli: Zucchini Ravioli

Roasted Red Pepper and Strawberry Gazpacho: Roasted Red Pepper & Strawberry Gazpacho

Crockpot Jambalaya, for which I pretty much just used this recipe, added okra, tweaked the spices a bit, and put it in the crock pot, instead of cooking it on the stove top: Recipe: Vegetable Jambalaya — Budget Recipes from The Kitchn

The ravioli are in the oven now, the crockpot still has a couple hours left to go, and the soup is chilling in the fridge. Taste testing to follow...

My boyfriend and I had some of the ravioli for dinner. His review, "Oh man, I love the crap out of these." Guess I will be making those again in the near future, at least as long as zucchini are cheap and plentiful.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
I'm going to try that ravioli recipe. It looks so good. I haven't cooked anything today, but I plan on doing some tomorrow.

We had the gazpacho last night. It was very tasty, and unique. The only downside was the aftertaste of strawberry and garlic. Not bad as long as you have a mint afterward, haha. We will likely be trying the jambalaya tonight.

More eggplant with tofu ricotta!

c615458f66a4933d6ba7a4c8b2213c2f.jpg

The jambalaya was really tasty, with just the right amount of spice. Based on the recipe in my previous post, I used a large can of diced tomatoes instead of fresh, veggie bouillon instead of the soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, added a cup of frozen cut okra, and some dried fennel, since I did not have any veggie sausage. Instead of cooking on the stovetop, I cooked the veggies and spices in the crock pot for about 4 hours, so the veggies still have some crunch. I meant to cook some rice to mix in, but I forgot. I had the veggies on their own last night. My boyfriend had some for lunch today, to which I added some eggplant meatballs from the freezer to make it more filling. He said the flavors complement each other well. I was inspired by this gumbo recipe I made last autumn/winter: Vegan (Say what?!) Gumbo Recipe

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
They were delicious! Both recipes I tried this week were nice, I will definitely be making them both again.:)

I'm cooking soya mince bolognese with courgette spaghetti today and will be using my new spiralizer.

Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
Well, this was last night, but I guess it counts since it was after midnight.... :rolleyes:

I made & then devoured a dish of angel hair pasta with killer homemade vegan pesto & diced Roma tomatoes. :drool:

photoalbum_499865612_user70471033-1.jpg
Oh man, oh man, oh man! Yum!

OK, this was last night, but I'm having it again tonight, so I'm posting it here. :D I made a burrito bowl a la Moe's with brown rice, black beans, marinated tofu (in Italian dressing), tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, peppers, onions and homemade guacamole. I topped it with Daiya cheddar shreds, hot sauce and salsa. It was delicious!!

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Status
Not open for further replies.