What Did You Cook or Bake today?

That's a good idea.

OK, today I have tried French toast with the batter. It's delicious! I added a tablespoon of maple syrup, a few splashes of vanilla extract and some cinnamon to the batter. It cooked up nicely texture-wise, too. I topped it with banana slices and blueberries. Loving it!
What was the texture like though? I imagined it would be dense.
I didn't really want to try, not like I miss eggs.
I'm making the PPK Italian sausage. Maybe a spaghetti night. Or maybe I'll make sub buns?

Reactions: Emma JC
What was the texture like though? I imagined it would be dense.
I didn't really want to try, not like I miss eggs.
I'm making the PPK Italian sausage. Maybe a spaghetti night. Or maybe I'll make sub buns?
Yum on the PPK sausage! I love that recipe.

The texture was fine, I thought, though I like my French toast on the denser side anyway. I always use old bread or a dense bread. But the batter absorbed nicely, and the flavor was great with the additions I made. And it didn't make the bread any more dense that it was. I liked it better than the omelette. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Emma JC
No cooking or baking involved. I stuffed some pitted dates with cashew butter then dipped them in melted chocolate.

Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Made the weirdest seitan ever. I wanted to make more of PPK's sausage, that I just made yesterday, and double the recipe. I suck at following recipes as it is, so I should have known better, but I mostly wanted to be sure and get spices right. I mashed the beans, then got all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mixed up some no beef broth and let it cool. Came back, mixed in the broth with the dry really well--and realized I forgot the beans :fp:. I was talking to my son at the time and he said just knead them in, if it were me, i'd have left the dough without them, but I figured I'd try. They came out such a weird texture, like almost layered with bean mush. Not bad, got the spices right :rofl:

And also found it's important to thaw frozen cranberries when making muffins. I'd always done it by default, but this time I just threw them in right from the freezer. Dough got like ice cream, and the muffins were a bit dense

So, I made the liquid egg sub, this time using a combo of the recipes from Cheap Lazy Vegan and the one that was posted here. Tweaks: I added a tsp of baking powder and used 1/2 cup of soy milk and filled the rest with water until it measured 1 1/3 cups. I did not include CLV's 2 tbs of oil, but I did add the 2 tbs of nooch flakes and the garlic powder. I also didn't use the aquafaba. It's definitely less chewy with the baking powder, and the flavor from the nooch flakes and garlic powder also helped. It's still not as fluffy as I'd like but it's much lighter in texture using the baking powder. I would make it again this way, even without the aquafaba.

Super simple. I change up the spices. I had vegan pork bullion, katchup, soy sauce, liquid smoke, cumin, paprika and other spices. I use my rice cooker to steam it. It is not super hard or rubbery. It is great for sandwiches.

Super simple. I change up the spices. I had vegan pork bullion, katchup, soy sauce, liquid smoke, cumin, paprika and other spices. I use my rice cooker to steam it. It is not super hard or rubbery. It is great for sandwiches.

I have never tried to make seitan and this does seem simple so maybe I will pick up some VWG and try it. Thanks for the recipe.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
Vegan cinnamon rolls. For some reason the small always reminds me of Christmas! But why do mine just look like a curly dog poo, rather than the pictures in the recipe book??
Not sure if this was meant to be funny but it made me chuckle. 😊

Have a seitan in the IP that's 50/50 black beans and vwg. Not what I usually like, but i had cooked a lot of black beans 🙄. Nailed the seasoning though, so should be good thin sliced for sandwiches

I made a large pot of cabbage soup yesterday with vegetable broth, cabbage, onions, zucchini, carrots and great northern beans. I added some crumbled firm tofu to my first bowl and today I added some meatless grounds. It's so good!
IMG_8949.jpeg

@KLS52 That sounds amazing! I think my problem formerly was that I used water, not broth, for my soups, stews, or pilafs; stuff was healthy and edible, but kind of boring. I recently got a jar of vegetable broth paste, and it made a big difference in the dishes I made with it.
I love the better than bouillon brand. The drawback is the sodium and I'm not exactly light handed when I use it. I like my soups to be flavorful and usually means extra paste and extra sodium. I'm fortunate it doesn't really pose an issue for me.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom L.