What Did You Cook or Bake today?

No, more like a soft cheese spread. I've seen that recipe you linked, but I didn't want the coconut oil, either, so I didn't try it. I will find one I like, though. That will be my mission. I ended up going to Divine Treasures and picked up some herbed vegan cheese.
I meant taste like cashew butter--I did like the texture, but taste primarily of nuts

I went to TJ's and got corn tortillas, so I made enchiladas. Boy did I miss adding chese, just that textual quality, even when it's the sticky kind

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I meant taste like cashew butter--I did like the texture, but taste primarily of nuts

I went to TJ's and got corn tortillas, so I made enchiladas. Boy did I miss adding chese, just that textual quality, even when it's the sticky kind
Maybe my cashews were too old or something. I do keep them in the fridge, but the cheese I made had very little flavor.

• Friendly
Reactions: Tom L.
@PTree15 @silva I would have expected a spread made primarily of cashews would at least taste quite good, even if it wasn't even remotely like any soft dairy cheese in flavor. I think almost anything with miso paste, nooch, vegetable stock, and lemon juice would really hit the spot with me. Although I've never had raw cashews, I'm thinking their flavor wouldn't be that different from roasted. I'm sorry it was a disappointment though.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Cashews have very little flavour. I very often make cashew cream and have to season it when I use it for cooking.
I agree. Any time I have had a cashew-based sauce at a restaurant it has always been kind of bland. I mean, maybe some people like it that way, but I like a little more tang/zip in my vegan cheese and sauces.

@Tom L. I thought the flavor would be good as well, but I don't think there was enough of the other ingredients to make it to my liking. I'm going to use it either as part of a cheese sauce made with some store-bought shreds, or maybe as ricotta-like cheese for a lasagna at some point. Right now, it's in the freezer. :D

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
@PTree15 @silva I would have expected a spread made primarily of cashews would at least taste quite good, even if it wasn't even remotely like any soft dairy cheese in flavor. I think almost anything with miso paste, nooch, vegetable stock, and lemon juice would really hit the spot with me. Although I've never had raw cashews, I'm thinking their flavor wouldn't be that different from roasted. I'm sorry it was a disappointment though.
Bland, but still taste like cashew. Neither recipe, IMO, had enough other flavor. Raw are far milder than roasted
Actually, the only way I like cashew cheese is if it's cultured, that changes everything

Please let me know the results 😊
Sooo! The flavor is pretty good, but Kala Namak is an absolute must, because it mimics that eggy taste. Otherwise, there is not much flavor in the liquid egg and the bean flavor comes through, which isn’t bad but not what I am going for.

The texture, though, is not great, as it’s dense and gummy. I followed the recipe as is, but I think this could do with a little baking powder to make it fluff a bit more. It also might be that I used to much. Also, the tip about using a nonstick pan is key because this definitely would stick even with a little oil. It’s completely edible and tasty if you can get past the texture. I will be tinkering with this for sure because it’s so much cheaper than Just Egg.
IMG_1604.jpegIMG_1605.jpeg

Sooo! The flavor is pretty good, but Kala Namak is an absolute must, because it mimics that eggy taste. Otherwise, there is not much flavor in the liquid egg and the bean flavor comes through, which isn’t bad but not what I am going for.

The texture, though, is not great, as it’s dense and gummy. I followed the recipe as is, but I think this could do with a little baking powder to make it fluff a bit more. It also might be that I used to much. Also, the tip about using a nonstick pan is key because this definitely would stick even with a little oil. It’s completely edible and tasty if you can get past the texture. I will be tinkering with this for sure because it’s so much cheaper than Just Egg.
View attachment 29888View attachment 29889

I couldn`t view the video as there is no sound on this computer. Is the recipe made with chickpeas? I agree that JE is so ridiculously expensive that I refuse to buy it.

• Friendly
I couldn`t view the video as there is no sound on this computer. Is the recipe made with chickpeas? I agree that JE is so ridiculously expensive that I refuse to buy it.
No, it's made with mung beans. I had originally bought the mung beans to try Cheap Lazy Vegan's homemade Just Egg, but I never got around to making it. Her recipe has aquafaba, oil and a few other ingredients, I believe. It also uses nondairy milk.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas

Well that’s interesting 🤨 it will be a start for me 👋

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas

How about beating the aquafaba until you obtain a stiff peak?

• Informative
Reactions: Blues
Saw this today ….looks good ,😊 has a few suggestions in the comments
Done that quite a few times, and not enough like Just Egg to be good. I've done as he has, with soy milk, with a pinch of baking powder, by grinding the moong dahl dry into flour....it's just sticky, gummy, tacky when cooked -- you can even see it in the video.
Just Egg has transglutaminase, which of course makes a world of difference in texture, as well as other ingredients--

"What is a transglutaminase used for?
Transglutaminase is an enzyme that catalyses the formation of isopeptide bonds between proteins. Its cross-linking property is widely used in various processes: to manufacture cheese and other dairy products, in meat processing, to produce edible films and to manufacture bakery products."

I like Just Egg, but I know that too is not all that like egg.

I do love tofu scramble with kala namak.

• Informative
Reactions: Blues and PTree15
Done that quite a few times, and not enough like Just Egg to be good. I've done as he has, with soy milk, with a pinch of baking powder, by grinding the moong dahl dry into flour....it's just sticky, gummy, tacky when cooked -- you can even see it in the video.
Just Egg has transglutaminase, which of course makes a world of difference in texture, as well as other ingredients--

"What is a transglutaminase used for?
Transglutaminase is an enzyme that catalyses the formation of isopeptide bonds between proteins. Its cross-linking property is widely used in various processes: to manufacture cheese and other dairy products, in meat processing, to produce edible films and to manufacture bakery products."

I like Just Egg, but I know that too is not all that like egg.

I do love tofu scramble with kala namak.
I actually like it better than the chickpea omelettes I have tried, as they are more cake-like. They're good, but not at all omelette-like. At least mung bean one was a little closer to an omelette. I'm going to play with the recipe and see what I can come up with. I do like the idea of using it to make French toast. I haven't had that since I went vegan.

Reactions: Blues
I actually like it better than the chickpea omelettes I have tried, as they are more cake-like. They're good, but not at all omelette-like. At least mung bean one was a little closer to an omelette. I'm going to play with the recipe and see what I can come up with. I do like the idea of using it to make French toast. I haven't had that since I went vegan.
You're right about those textures. I may try and use half mung bean puree with half chickpea flour (if mine is still good!)

You're right about those textures. I may try and use half mung bean puree with half chickpea flour (if mine is still good!)
That's a good idea.

OK, today I have tried French toast with the batter. It's delicious! I added a tablespoon of maple syrup, a few splashes of vanilla extract and some cinnamon to the batter. It cooked up nicely texture-wise, too. I topped it with banana slices and blueberries. Loving it!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC