The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us! (June 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!23:laptop: We're in the middle of white nights now,- since Jun.27th, it will be gradually getting darker. Summer is so short... Unghshu is living in the small house, so i can have supper and go to bed whenever i want, and it's not hot here. The only thing that i'm not pleased about, is my pillow (my right shoulder aches because of it, pppffff). Mosquitoes and gnats are fierce: they are ready to bite your head off (literally, haha). This night, i almost couldn't sleep, because my legs (and *ss) were aching like a hell. At least my COPD doesn't hurt. I realized how stupid i am: Sumerian gods told me about oregano last summer (for treating mom's condition), but i decided that i should be taking it too only now. It helps even better than turmeric with pepper!
David has been a clueless boy and damaged my protective glass, uuuggghhh... Now i'm ridiculously careful. At least i can have some rhubarb as a moral compensation. Yesterday evening, Liza, David and Unghshu went to the river together. I have my daily evening walks too.
At the 5th quarry (part 1). It was pretty dark, because the sun was below the horizon already:
IMG_20200618_204719.jpg

IMG_20200619_213315.jpg

IMG_20200619_212450.jpg

IMG_20200619_212347.jpg

IMG_20200619_212103.jpg

IMG_20200620_131610.jpg

IMG_20200619_020337.jpg

IMG_20200619_020552.jpg

Liza, Elijah and David on the way back to the car:
IMG_20200619_212540.jpg

It's quite overcast but still very hot today and I'm just back from the huge shopping centre which is 10 mins north of my place. The DIY shops were jam packed with people despite it being Father's Day.

I made the most of my trip ( I had a click & collect) and popped into the organic health food store to see whether there were any new plant based products. They indeed did have a couple of Jay & Joy artisan style cheeses. However, the camembert style and blue style were a whopping 5 € for a tiny wedge of 2 portions. They also had some pb ice cream magnum style sticks which were also 5€.......so I ended up buying som vegan coconut milk chocolate (100g) for a whopping € 3.80 ! I hope that it's worth the money. :eek:

At the 5th quarry (part 2).
David devoured a tomato. He's holding a bottle of kvas.
IMG_20200619_212924.jpg

Trying to make David get into the water.
IMG_20200619_213055.jpg

David pointing at Unghshu (this bbq grill isn't ours, but we decided not to put it away, because it could be contagious).
IMG_20200619_213733.jpg

Liza posing.
IMG_20200619_233350.jpg

IMG_20200619_214730.jpg

Climbing a "hill".
IMG_20200619_015402.jpg

Liza dabbing her phone, but watching David with an eagle's eye, lol.
IMG_20200619_212747.jpg

On the way back.
IMG_20200619_020820.jpg

David kissing a pine.
IMG_20200619_211532.jpg

IMG_20200619_211740.jpg

Morning/afternoon y'all! Love the pictures Val! It is going to be another hot day today! Happy Father's Day to any dads hanging out here. ( and women who take on the role)
I am doing laundry this morning. I might go to the Dollar General later. I have no real plans for the day.

It's bad to say so, but it feels like the city of sin is being punished from above. Moscow has been flooded. Again. But this deluge is vast and it covered many districts. Some areas turned into rivers and lakes. What about sin,- 2 "luxurious" districts (Patriarshiye ponds and Sparrow hills) have got filled with crowds of "covidiots", who made parties with s#x, drugs, booze, loud music, striptease, expensive cars, bbq, etc... They say, that covid cases in Moscow drastically increased in the last 2 days. I never stop thanking God that i don't live there. Moscow is a very sad place. Especially now, with covidiots and this today's deluge:

• Wow
Reactions: PTree15
I was listening to the radio and they were getting people to call in what was their lowest points of lockdown. A woman called in and said she had been potty training her 3 year old and he missed the bowl and afterwards she licked her finger because she had been eating a chocolate cake and it wasn't chocolate she licked off! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I tried some Gaelic many years ago! It's extremely different from English, at least if you focus on the spelling. I found some of the sounds to be difficult to pronounce, having grown up speaking English, French and German.

Then I saw a TV broadcast in Gaelic and realized it sounds a lot more familiar and consistent with other languages I know if you're just listening. I think the differences in spelling are part of the challenge. Next time, I want to focus on the spelling part for a while before diving into the actual vocab and grammar.

Easier to answer on my computer at home, than phone on a travel. :p

But yeah, some of the sounds are not the easiest, and the spelling are in the beginning very strange. Special since it lacks some letters in the alpabeth, but they just pronouce other combinations as those letters. As math and mhath example if you remember. I work on both the sounds and the spelling, and when you start to get a bit hang of it, they spell a lot of the words just as they are said.

But it's fun. I have a 11 days streak now, and counting. And I had forgotten the joy of learning a new language. From the first time you read it where it's just letters scattered around, to when they start to give meaning.

For me, reading a language is always the first I get best hang of, and also the last one I loose or struggle with if I don't use one (like my German). So I read what I have learned so far quite good now, and understand it (so my reading vocabular in Gaelic is now over 100 words :p ) So so far it's the spelling when I write myself that is the hardest part. But I do all the repetions each day, so I get in in the end. :p

Then I need to find a person who is very good in Gaelic to write with in the end. Pen or mail or something. So I can keep the language too. :p I will probably never, ever speak it to someone, but who cares. It's really fun. :D

I'm not sure if you all can watch this video? Rime found snow on the mountains, and was very happy. :D

(If you can't watch it, I guess you need to add me as a friend on FB).

Edit: Nope. I wasn't allowed to post it here. :( So yeah. Those of you that are on my FB list can watch Rime play in the snow, the others of you just have to live to never know how cute he is there!

I'm not sure if you all can watch this video? Rime found snow on the mountains, and was very happy. :D

(If you can't watch it, I guess you need to add me as a friend on FB).

Edit: Nope. I wasn't allowed to post it here. :( So yeah. Those of you that are on my FB list can watch Rime play in the snow, the others of you just have to live to never know how cute he is there!
I've just opened Instagram, and the 1st post i stumbled across, was Rime playing in the snow.😍😍😍 You/he made my day.😁

• Love
Reactions: Mikkel
Morning/afternoon y'all! Hot day here today with temps in the mid 90's with only a very small chance of rain. It is typical for this time of year. I am off work until Thursday. I have to go to the Dollar General for a few things sometime today. Yesterday was my stay home day.

Friends, I can't relate to most people in modern times. I feel like I grew up in a previous century. My ideas about animal rights and human rights are consistent with modern ones, fortunately.

However, in many ways, I have a different perspective. I've been on my own my whole life. My parents were abusive and so were a lot of the people at school. I didn't really have anyone. Didn't have much tv, movies, or even modern books either. I read books from previous centuries. So I know about social norms from several thousand years ago through the late nineteenth century. And all about pre-electric living.

Modern life was a culture shock. I tried to adjust, but I've gone back to what I'm familiar with.

The problem is that it can be hard to find common ground with people. I know a lot about modern music, technology, etc, but I have a different vantagepoint. And people never want to hear me explain where I'm coming from. There's just a lot of judgment. I think they tend to think I've had it easy. Hahahahaha.

I don't care that much. I enjoy living a solitary life, just with my dog. But you have to interact with people sometimes, and I'm tired of dealing with all the misunderstandings.
Easier to answer on my computer at home, than phone on a travel. :p

But yeah, some of the sounds are not the easiest, and the spelling are in the beginning very strange. Special since it lacks some letters in the alpabeth, but they just pronouce other combinations as those letters. As math and mhath example if you remember. I work on both the sounds and the spelling, and when you start to get a bit hang of it, they spell a lot of the words just as they are said.

But it's fun. I have a 11 days streak now, and counting. And I had forgotten the joy of learning a new language. From the first time you read it where it's just letters scattered around, to when they start to give meaning.

For me, reading a language is always the first I get best hang of, and also the last one I loose or struggle with if I don't use one (like my German). So I read what I have learned so far quite good now, and understand it (so my reading vocabular in Gaelic is now over 100 words :p ) So so far it's the spelling when I write myself that is the hardest part. But I do all the repetions each day, so I get in in the end. :p

Then I need to find a person who is very good in Gaelic to write with in the end. Pen or mail or something. So I can keep the language too. :p I will probably never, ever speak it to someone, but who cares. It's really fun. :D

I'm a music geek and a book geek, so I listen to and read things from many linguistic backgrounds. This can be good for language practice. For example, I'm a big fan of certain French bands, so I talk to people from that fan community in French so I can keep my skills fresh. After studying that language through college, it's really nice to talk to people who won't be offended if you misspell a word or your grammar isn't the best.

I find German spelling to be really consistent and easy. And I see your point - Gaelic spelling is also consistent and logical. It's more logical than English, and easier than French too. You just have to adjust to it. I need to practice again!

Tapadh leat!

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Mikkel
I was listening to the radio and they were getting people to call in what was their lowest points of lockdown. A woman called in and said she had been potty training her 3 year old and he missed the bowl and afterwards she licked her finger because she had been eating a chocolate cake and it wasn't chocolate she licked off! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That does it. I'm not having kids.

I'm not on FB or Instagram. If I joined FB the only people I would add as friends is you guys on here. :D My brother is not even on FB anymore. My husband has an account but doesn't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.