The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us! (June 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friends, I can't relate to most people in modern times. I feel like I grew up in a previous century. My ideas about animal rights and human rights are consistent with modern ones, fortunately.

However, in many ways, I have a different perspective. I've been on my own my whole life. My parents were abusive and so were a lot of the people at school. I didn't really have anyone. Didn't have much tv, movies, or even modern books either. I read books from previous centuries. So I know about social norms from several thousand years ago through the late nineteenth century. And all about pre-electric living.

Modern life was a culture shock. I tried to adjust, but I've gone back to what I'm familiar with.

The problem is that it can be hard to find common ground with people. I know a lot about modern music, technology, etc, but I have a different vantagepoint. And people never want to hear me explain where I'm coming from. There's just a lot of judgment. I think they tend to think I've had it easy. Hahahahaha.

I don't care that much. I enjoy living a solitary life, just with my dog. But you have to interact with people sometimes, and I'm tired of dealing with all the misunderstandings.

I can really feel you on this point. I often say I'm born to late... And I really wish I was born before all this technology. It gives a lot of joy of cause, as you can get to know people from different countries very easy. But it gives a lot of stress too. I wonder if we perhaps was a bit happier before, when we couldn't see all our 456 Facebook friends' houses and hollidays. And the endless need to impress people we don't like.

Why don't people want to hear about where you come from?

I'm a music geek and a book geek, so I listen to and read things from many linguistic backgrounds. This can be good for language practice. For example, I'm a big fan of certain French bands, so I talk to people from that fan community in French so I can keep my skills fresh. After studying that language through college, it's really nice to talk to people who won't be offended if you misspell a word or your grammar isn't the best.

I find German spelling to be really consistent and easy. And I see your point - Gaelic spelling is also consistent and logical. It's more logical than English, and easier than French too. You just have to adjust to it. I need to practice again!

Tapadh leat!

Yeah. German isn't that hard. It's the grammar there I struggle a bit. And of cause the vocabulary... Also the problem is always self esteem when it comes to talking. If I have to talk German, it goes okey. I can make me understood quite well. Since I talk with two different dialects in Norwegian, I also have a bit advantage on the accent too. Luckly, as I have talked with Norwegian tourists on English without them understanding I'm from the same country

I get ashamed quite often how Norwegians behave on hollidays, so I never want to be recognized with speaking the same language. :p

But so far in Gaelic, the building of the scentenses are quite easy to understand. And what I have seen other have posted on Facebook for later session, it keeps it that way. I think the lention of some of the words will be the hardest as for now, as I've never seen that before.

I can't of cause not tell how hard Norwegian is, as it's my native language. But when I see on how people both write and speak after living here for a lot of years, it doesn't seems to be the easiest. Or people really have no interest in getting it better. Our nouns have three genders example, but to many have lost the third one (Gealic lost their third one on a ferry in the Medieval times claims my app....) And that makes a lot of words sounds really strange when their endings aren't correct.

I have a German penpal writing in Norwegian, and her Norwegian is better than even several Norwegians I know... And she haven't even been in Scandiavia.

Our nouns have three genders example,
That is so interesting. Our nouns differ on gender level,- there are 3 types, a.k.a. male gender, female gender, and middle gender. And therefore, our verbs can be of 3 different genders,- it depends on the noun they relate to.

That is so interesting. Our nouns (and therefore, our verbs) have 3 genders either.

Or verbs have no genders. Only nouns. And we are luckly a bit sane an says "my dog" and not like the Hungarians that says dog and then put on an ending depending if it's mine, yours or anyone elses dog. :p I hate translate Hungarian of that reason... :p

Reactions: Val
I can really feel you on this point. I often say I'm born to late... And I really wish I was born before all this technology. It gives a lot of joy of cause, as you can get to know people from different countries very easy. But it gives a lot of stress too. I wonder if we perhaps was a bit happier before, when we couldn't see all our 456 Facebook friends' houses and hollidays. And the endless need to impress people we don't like.

Why don't people want to hear about where you come from?

Yeah. German isn't that hard. It's the grammar there I struggle a bit. And of cause the vocabulary... Also the problem is always self esteem when it comes to talking. If I have to talk German, it goes okey. I can make me understood quite well. Since I talk with two different dialects in Norwegian, I also have a bit advantage on the accent too. Luckly, as I have talked with Norwegian tourists on English without them understanding I'm from the same country

I get ashamed quite often how Norwegians behave on hollidays, so I never want to be recognized with speaking the same language. :p

But so far in Gaelic, the building of the scentenses are quite easy to understand. And what I have seen other have posted on Facebook for later session, it keeps it that way. I think the lention of some of the words will be the hardest as for now, as I've never seen that before.

I can't of cause not tell how hard Norwegian is, as it's my native language. But when I see on how people both write and speak after living here for a lot of years, it doesn't seems to be the easiest. Or people really have no interest in getting it better. Our nouns have three genders example, but to many have lost the third one (Gealic lost their third one on a ferry in the Medieval times claims my app....) And that makes a lot of words sounds really strange when their endings aren't correct.

I have a German penpal writing in Norwegian, and her Norwegian is better than even several Norwegians I know... And she haven't even been in Scandiavia.

Woah! I actually meant to delete that whole first part instead of posting it. I thought, "Eh, this is random and won't come across the right way. I'll write about it somewhere else." So it was a pocket post or the text auto-reappeared or something....

Anyway, now I'm glad I posted it. I was just thinking about how those things that seem weird and overly personal often end up being the most relatable when you do write about them.

I think the, "no one wants to know," part is partly because my interactions with people are often fairly brief. I tend to think it has to do with incorrect assumptions too, but I think I should judge people less and be more open-minded. It's probably just that I've been living the kind of life where in-depth conversations don't happen very often. Or a combo of both. Who knows.

Or verbs have no genders. Only nouns. And we are luckly a bit sane an says "my dog" and not like the Hungarians that says dog and then put on an ending depending if it's mine, yours or anyone elses dog. :p I hate translate Hungarian of that reason... :p

Italian is a bit like that. Not exactly, but leaning in that direction. Interesting.

Reactions: Val and Mikkel
Woah! I actually meant to delete that whole first part instead of posting it. I thought, "Eh, this is random and won't come across the right way. I'll write about it somewhere else." So it was a pocket post or the text auto-reappeared or something....

Anyway, now I'm glad I posted it. I was just thinking about how those things that seem weird and overly personal often end up being the most relatable when you do write about them.

I think the, "no one wants to know," part is partly because my interactions with people are often fairly brief. I tend to think it has to do with incorrect assumptions too, but I think I should judge people less and be more open-minded. It's probably just that I've been living the kind of life where in-depth conversations don't happen very often. Or a combo of both. Who knows.
Lol. Well, good to get it out! :D I have a mate I have talked about this with, as we both thought we were very strange that really don't feel we belong in this time. So I think it's more people out there.

And yeah. Those great convensations happens not too often. When you can discuss really great topics or get to know people good. Life happens so rapid. Things are changing, people always wait on a better or more interesting things to do. Just to have a evening, talk with friends and not being online or have their focus elsewhere...

Italian is a bit like that. Not exactly, but leaning in that direction. Interesting.

It's interesting how languages are. And to find similarities too. I have read a bit Italian for fun, but nothing more than I can read a menu if they can't provide a English one. And luckly, as I was able to order me a really great pizza in Milan, but my friend who wanted "cheese and pepperoni" ended up with cheese and bell pepper. She doesn't like bell pepper. I still remind her on that pizza once a year. :p

I had to ask a question in the Gaelic group I found on Facebook, and people really jumped in and answered me great at once. :) So nice people! I know nice is snog, but no clue how to say they are nice yet. :p

Lol. Well, good to get it out! :D I have a mate I have talked about this with, as we both thought we were very strange that really don't feel we belong in this time. So I think it's more people out there.

And yeah. Those great convensations happens not too often. When you can discuss really great topics or get to know people good. Life happens so rapid. Things are changing, people always wait on a better or more interesting things to do. Just to have a evening, talk with friends and not being online or have their focus elsewhere...

It's interesting how languages are. And to find similarities too. I have read a bit Italian for fun, but nothing more than I can read a menu if they can't provide a English one. And luckly, as I was able to order me a really great pizza in Milan, but my friend who wanted "cheese and pepperoni" ended up with cheese and bell pepper. She doesn't like bell pepper. I still remind her on that pizza once a year. :p

I had to ask a question in the Gaelic group I found on Facebook, and people really jumped in and answered me great at once. :) So nice people! I know nice is snog, but no clue how to say they are nice yet. :p

I call people nice all the time. There's nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, I think we keep getting more fast-paced and on edge, quick to jump to conclusions, quick to get emotional.

I call people nice all the time. There's nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, I think we keep getting more fast-paced and on edge, quick to jump to conclusions, quick to get emotional.

I ment in Gaelic. I haven't gotten much further than you, me, he, her and you in plural. But Tha thu snog! :D

We do. I ended up ending a couple of friendships because of it. I just got so sick tired of beeing just a "reserve friend" when no one else could offer them things to do. And trying to do something a Friday or Saturday was hopless, as they waited for the cool invitations then only... :p

• Friendly
Mondays are like I need to stay up late, but I'm old and want to go to bed early. So it's 10.40 pm, and I want to go to bed. It's best if I can stay up to about 3.00 am, but I can't remember last time I managed that. :p

I ment in Gaelic. I haven't gotten much further than you, me, he, her and you in plural. But Tha thu snog! :D

Hahaha. I'm sorry. I stress about how to say things like, "nice people," in every language except English. It's so much in the realm of how people actually talk and not the textbooks. I was projecting.

We do. I ended up ending a couple of friendships because of it. I just got so sick tired of beeing just a "reserve friend" when no one else could offer them things to do. And trying to do something a Friday or Saturday was hopless, as they waited for the cool invitations then only... :p

Yeah. There are so many things about it . . .

I'm currently trying to rebuild healthier friendships without social media, seeking out more substance, and also more time for reflection when I'm alone.

I used to say I was born at the wrong time, but I'm really glad to be living today from a human rights perspective. There is always a lot that's wrong, but at least we're going in the right direction ideologically.

• Friendly
Reactions: Freesia and Val
Busy, busy, busy.
I started a call center phone company support job last week. I hate it. I thought it was going to be work from home, but nope. I am going to try to get into a different division doing wellness counseling for an insurance company, work from home. It was two years ago, I was in the hospital with respiratory issues from a simple cold. I should not risk it.
I have been trying to avoid groups and mask in indoor settings. We went to a small beach, that there is hardly anyone at Saturday. It is a little cove type of thing that people park their boats in and do a bit of sailing. The water gets kind of gross. We saw two small jellyfish. I had some yummy apple wine. It got super hot, so we went home early. Sunday lazy.
[ 1592872318571.png
1592872393282.png1592872318571.png1592872393282.png

Morning/afternoon y'all! It is cloudy this morning and will heat up as usual. This morning I think I will go get my hair trimmed as it needs it badly! My sister is coming over for lunch and we will go downtown.
SB I am sorry the job is a disappointment and I hope you can find something more suitable soon!

It's really hot here today. It's going to get much hotter in the week.

I had a lie in until 11 today. I just couldn't be bothered to get up as there isn't much for me to do!

Another day in paradise.
Before lunch I was told work had their first positive covid test. The worker's last day on campus was last Tuesday. I started last Monday. I do not work directly with said person, but it is a huge open air type office. The employee had very mild symptoms. They check temps (doesn't matter for asymptomatic), require masks except at desks, work stations are separated and have nightly cleaners. The only exposure would be when I am at my desk from air vents, touching doors and bathroom. My exposure risk is very low, however I do have underlying health issues.
I have only talked to my husband about this, besides work and this post. I am nervous. I wish I was working from home. I need to work, as I am running out of my reserve funds. Husband has not really been working either.

Another day in paradise.
Before lunch I was told work had their first positive covid test. The worker's last day on campus was last Tuesday. I started last Monday. I do not work directly with said person, but it is a huge open air type office. The employee had very mild symptoms. They check temps (doesn't matter for asymptomatic), require masks except at desks, work stations are separated and have nightly cleaners. The only exposure would be when I am at my desk from air vents, touching doors and bathroom. My exposure risk is very low, however I do have underlying health issues.
I have only talked to my husband about this, besides work and this post. I am nervous. I wish I was working from home. I need to work, as I am running out of my reserve funds. Husband has not really been working either.
You will likely be fine but I understand your concern. I would be nervous too.

Thanks. Life is scary right now.

I need to get my walks in, but it is so insanely hot lately. I need the exercise. Great stress relief. I do not like walking after dark, when it is cooler.

I'm leading two food distribution projects this week. Tomorrow's will be in an area that's hard to get to. So I have to leave really early. But it's ok. I enjoy riding the trains.

To me, NYC is really chilled out compared to other parts of the US. You don't have to drive. You just board a train or bus. You can be yourself; it's so huge and diverse, there's a welcoming, friendly community for almost everyone. You can say what's really on your mind and people don't get offended. Almost everything you need is within a few blocks.

To me, it feels like a calm and slow pace of life. I find driving and strip malls and formalities to be more frantic. (To me, normal American small talk feels formal, compared to our ways here in the city.)

I need to post more garden pictures. The garden is starting to look nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.