Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

I made Sweet and Sour Meatballs with Beyond Beef and VH Sweet and Sour Marinade. I was going to make rice with it but we've had rice twice already this week so I made Tater Tots.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Well, I have everything I need to put together a shepherd's pie, but now I want to make a mushroom stew instead. Mmm, a chanterelle stew. Doesn't that sound delicious? I wonder how many people here are even familiar with chanterelle mushrooms?

Reactions: EllieW and Emma JC
Well, I have everything I need to put together a shepherd's pie, but now I want to make a mushroom stew instead. Mmm, a chanterelle stew. Doesn't that sound delicious? I wonder how many people here are even familiar with chanterelle mushrooms?

well, there is knowing about them and there is eating them.... so I am familiar because I watch some off-griders collect them in BC but I haven't eaten them

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Informative
Reactions: Veganite
well, there is knowing about them and there is eating them.... so I am familiar because I watch some off-griders collect them in BC but I haven't eaten them

Aw, that's a shame, but as far as I know Chanterelles grow in most Canadian provinces. I'm not suggesting you go foraging for them, but I would think they would be available in markets where you live? They do grow in abundance here in BC, but they still fetch high prices in the store, nonetheless. I think they are worth the money as a treat.

If you like mushrooms, like me, I highly recommend treating yourself to taster portion of chanterelles some time if possible. The flavour is unique, but absolutely wonderful, in my humble opinion. I really don't know how to describe them, aside from the fact that I never get tired of them. I could sit and eat a bowl of sauteed chanterelles just on their own....everyday. lol

They are often described as delicate mushrooms that have a kind of peppery flavor, which some people describe as mildly fruity. They also have this fruity bouquet, which is almost apricot-like. Just lightly sauteed they have a very addictive melt-in-your-mouth texture.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
I steamed it first dmfirb10 minutes, then marinated it in the peanut sauce for 2 hours. Then I basted the tempeh with the rest of the marinade and baked it for 20 minutes. Delicious.
Note to self: Don't use the phone to post on VF. :D

Tonight I would like to try this recipe for seitan steak. I will have a mix of roasted veggies as well: potatoes, beets and carrots.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
I tried Gardein's Golden Filets for the first time and they were very good. I never liked fish and this doesn't taste like fish but better. Loved it. With it I had mashed potatoes with red cabbage, and a sliced tomato. My blood sugar was a little high this morning so I'm trying to stick to an 8 hour eating window so that's it for the night. Maybe a cup of tea later.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I had rehydrated more soy curls so I could marinade half for tomorrow. Ended up pouring hot sauce on them and sauteing in some spread.
I ate far more than my share.
I keep forgetting to make them with Old Bay

we had a similar meal to @EllieW - Gardein fish with a caesar salad (hummus dressing), and boiled potatoes - we are also doing the 8 hour window, which isn't unusual for us as we normally eat around noon and then again around 8 so we have switched to the 1 pm - 9 pm window

@EllieW - remember that blood sugar being high may mean that you may be eating foods that are a bit too high in fat as that is what stops the cells from turning the sugar in your blood into glucose - maybe track your meals on Cronometer for a few days just to be sure - sometimes when we have a fattier meal like last night we have a shot glass with a teaspoon or so of apple cider vinegar diluted with water, after our meal

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: EllieW
remember that blood sugar being high may mean that you may be eating foods that are a bit too high in fat as that is what stops the cells from turning the sugar in your blood into glucose - maybe track your meals on Cronometer for a few days just to be sure - sometimes when we have a fattier meal like last night we have a shot glass with a teaspoon or so of apple cider vinegar diluted with water, after our meal

Emma JC
I've read the Barnard books so I knew about that. My main problem was my evening snacking, lately sneaking in chips, etc. I was Keto for 3 years so it's kind of like crack to me. LOL So not eating in the evening means I cut down on fats. Fatty chips. It's just past the time for my morning latte so I'm running off to make it. 2 cups of tea so far this morning. LOL I was very hungry when I went to bed last night but not hungry when I got up so it wasn't too bad.

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
I've read the Barnard books so I knew about that. My main problem was my evening snacking, lately sneaking in chips, etc. I was Keto for 3 years so it's kind of like crack to me. LOL So not eating in the evening means I cut down on fats. Fatty chips. It's just past the time for my morning latte so I'm running off to make it. 2 cups of tea so far this morning. LOL I was very hungry when I went to bed last night but not hungry when I got up so it wasn't too bad.

yes, chips can be an issue here too, not as much for me as for my honey, however, he stroked chips off the grocery list before I left the other day so he is also making an effort - we buy some popcorn that is very low in fat and so if we need a quick snack before 9pm hits then a small bowl of that will help and I also have some pretzels and cereals for those 'gotta have a snack' time also

Emma JC

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and EllieW