Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

Note to self: Don't use the phone to post on VF. :D

Tonight I would like to try this recipe for seitan steak. I will have a mix of roasted veggies as well: potatoes, beets and carrots.
So, again, another seitan recipe with not enough spice/flavor. Maybe my tastebuds are having issues. :D The texture was great, though, as it was both dense and tender. The marinade did help, but I think I would skip the tomato paste and use something else in the seitan mix. It almost had this slight sweetness to it that I didn't love. So I will tinker with the spices to get the right mix of flavors. It could also be good ground up and used for tacos, a shepherd's pie, or in chili.

That said, I will have the same meal tonight with the leftover roasted veggies.

So, again, another seitan recipe with not enough spice/flavor. Maybe my tastebuds are having issues. :D The texture was great, though, as it was both dense and tender. The marinade did help, but I think I would skip the tomato paste and use something else in the seitan mix. It almost had this slight sweetness to it that I didn't love. So I will tinker with the spices to get the right mix of flavors. It could also be good ground up and used for tacos, a shepherd's pie, or in chili.

I looked up the list of spices and there is far too much tomato puree in the recipe. Moreover, I would add 2 tsp of onion powder and some smoked paprika. I'am also not a fan of sweet flavoured savoury food.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieW
I looked up the list of spices and there is far too much tomato puree in the recipe. Moreover, I would add 2 tsp of onion powder and some smoked paprika. I'am also not a fan of sweet flavoured savoury food.
Agreed, I didn't like the tomato paste at all in the recipe. Now I know to skip it. :) I was surprised onion powder wasn't in the recipe as well. Maybe the creator doesn't like onions.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Soup made with seitan stock/leftover vegetables/yeast flakes/smoked paprika.
A slice of courgette & tofu bake with peeled slice plum tomatoes/vinaigrette/yeast flakes.
A Swedish crisp bread with Violife spread/smoked paprika.
An apple and a few almonds.

Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW

I did a recipe with tomato paste and ended up not liking it. I don’t remember which recipe I used at the time.

• Informative
  • Sad
Reactions: PTree15 and EllieW
That's why I don't stick to recipes and adapt them to my own taste. :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:
I should do more of that. I always try it as is first, just in case I actually like it, but I'm finding that any new seitan recipes I'm checking out seem to be lacking in the flavor department, even when the comments are like, OMG this is the BEST seitan ever!! :D

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: shyvas and EllieW
Agreed, I didn't like the tomato paste at all in the recipe. Now I know to skip it. :) I was surprised onion powder wasn't in the recipe as well. Maybe the creator doesn't like onions.
I also agree on the tomato paste.
I used to add A1 sauce in seitan. I forgot about that!
One thing I do like is slices of garlic. Not only taste, but you get those creamy bits that are almost fat like, without being fat if you know what I mean

last night was more of the veggie/bean soup that I made - put argula and some plain bread croutons in the bottom of the bowl firest and added some extra potato, to the soup, that I had in the fridge so there was just enough for a large bowl each

I love cooking extra potatoes to have in the fridge for these kind of occasions and for skillet potatoes on Sundays. Stops me from eating the prepackaged hash browns that I have in the freeezer.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

A greenless salad of grape tomatoes, cukes, shredded carrots dressed with a little mayo and Sweet Onion Vinaigrette; a plateful of mashed potatoes with red cabbage and 2 Gardein Spicy Sausage Patties. A banana. I'm trying to up my veggie and fruit game.
I'm stuffed but it has to last me till 10AM tomorrow.

"Gyro bowl"
A packaged mix of quinoa and brown rice with garlic, onion, zucchini and spice. Topping it with some of my homemade seitan that was reheated in the over with a mix sauces to keep it from getting too rubbery. Last top is a tahini yogurt sauce. Pretty good.