Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

I'm currently working on a pasta salad for dinner. It's going to be Mexi-style with fresh corn niblets and black beans as the star ingredients. Of course some fresh lime and avocado will freshen this up nicely when serving.

I don't usually make dessert, or even eat dessert for that matter, but a friend gave me a heap of fresh blueberries. So...I'm making a nostalgic blueberry dessert that my mom used to make when I was a kid. It's an old east coast blueberry dessert called Blueberry Grunt or Fungy, which is totally easy to veganize.

It's simply a delicious hot blueberry sauce with fresh made dumplings simmered in the sauce. As simple as it is to make, it's amazingly delicious. Here's a veganized recipe if anyone is curious to try it: Individual Blueberry Grunts | VeganYumYum

It's simply a delicious hot blueberry sauce with fresh made dumplings simmered in the sauce. As simple as it is to make, it's amazingly delicious. Here's a veganized recipe if anyone is curious to try it: Individual Blueberry Grunts | VeganYumYum
Oh yum! I can totally get into that! Can I assume it can be made with another kind of berry/fruit? I like blueberry but it’s not my favorite.

• Agree
Reactions: Veganite
A grunt is steamed, if it's baked it's a cobbler, so that recipe is kinda disingenuous--she baked it!
I remember that from Alton Browns show

• Agree
Reactions: Veganite
First time cooking mayocoba beans. I used the same seasonings I use when cooking white beans, or pinto beans for baked beans, using the Instant Pot. I had to put them through 3 cycles! First 30 min npr, then 15 npr, then another 10--finally they softened properly!
I had them with a salad, and won't be buying them again

• Friendly
  • Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
Boca chicken Patty on a whole grain bun with pickles and lettuce. Lemon pudding with coco whip for dessert. Fresh cherries. 🍒
Tell me about the lemon pudding? I still have some Truwhip in the freezer!

boiled some white and sweet potatoes - I then made a small amount of miso soup (water with miso in it) and added some of the sweet potatoes and a few brown lentils - my honey took the white potatoes and made himself a mushroom/onion/garlic/chili pepper topping for the pototoes

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: EllieW
I made Miyokos Better Buffalo cheese and a seitan dough that'll sit overnight, so I split the Dollar Tree spring rolls with my son

Can't say I like Daiya cheese on pizza--but can't wait to try VIolife mozz shreds! Those made me think "pizza"! (for the first time in soooo long)

one pot whole wheat soba noodle dish - green onions, garlic, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes - chili bean paste as the sauce

also, a small amount of reheated breakfast beans on the side for fibre and protein

Emma JC

Last edited:
I made Miyokos Better Buffalo cheese and a seitan dough that'll sit overnight, so I split the Dollar Tree spring rolls with my son

Can't say I like Daiya cheese on pizza--but can't wait to try VIolife mozz shreds! Those made me think "pizza"! (for the first time in soooo long)
I'll have to see if I can find that Violife Shreds. I'm not overly fond of the Daiya but it's better than nothing. I think I saw the violife at Metro yesterday but not sure. The only thing I don't like about the Daiya shreds on the pizza is that it has a sticky, gummy mouth-feel.

I have never tried a Daiya pizza and don't intend to as it is so easy to make our own and that way you can control the type and amount of cheese - I just get the President's Choice flat pizza crusts (usually the whole wheat square or round (pack of 2) and then add pizza sauce, mushrooms, pineapple (frozen/thawed), olives, green onions and usually a sausage (Fieldroast), I put garlic powder on top of the sauce to add extra flavour, and then sprinkle some shreds on top after keeping it tasty but not overloaded. I usually use Earth Balance and recently Violife as it is less expensive.

Emma JC

• Love
Reactions: EllieW
I have never tried a Daiya pizza and don't intend to as it is so easy to make our own and that way you can control the type and amount of cheese - I just get the President's Choice flat pizza crusts (usually the whole wheat square or round (pack of 2) and then add pizza sauce, mushrooms, pineapple (frozen/thawed), olives, green onions and usually a sausage (Fieldroast), I put garlic powder on top of the sauce to add extra flavour, and then sprinkle some shreds on top after keeping it tasty but not overloaded. I usually use Earth Balance and recently Violife as it is less expensive.

Emma JC
I just told hubby last night that I was going to make my own next time. Your topping sound delicious except for the olives, can't stand them. LOL Love pineapple on pizza. And thanks for the tip on the PC brand crusts, I was going to look for some vegan crusts and I like PC stuff. What brand of pizza sauce do you get? Or do you make your own?

:thanks:

Reactions: Raven and Emma JC
I just told hubby last night that I was going to make my own next time. Your topping sound delicious except for the olives, can't stand them. LOL Love pineapple on pizza. And thanks for the tip on the PC brand crusts, I was going to look for some vegan crusts and I like PC stuff. What brand of pizza sauce do you get? Or do you make your own?

:thanks:

That's the great thing about making your own pizza's is you can put any toppings you like.

I just use the small cans of Unico pizza sauce and often buy 6-10 when they are on sale - the pizza crusts are in the deli area...

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52 and EllieW
I just made a broccoli and cauliflower salad to go with my BBQ mushroom dinner tonight. The salad is basically just broccoli & cauliflower florets, with carrot sticks, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. The dressing is a homemade ranch dressing.

I bought some locally made smokey seitan burgers this morning. I've tried this guys stuff before when visiting friends over on Vancouver island. It was delicious. So now it's available in most grocery stores on the mainland. Anyhow, the guy calls himself "The Very Good Butchers". Upon researching a bit, I see that he's expanded into the US as well. If you see his products, they are yummy. Definitely worth a try. His seitan hot dogs are really yummy, as was the pepperoni.

Anyhow, smokey seitan burgers for dinner tonight. I can't wait!

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and EllieW
I bought some locally made smokey seitan burgers this morning. I've tried this guys stuff before when visiting friends over on Vancouver island. It was delicious. So now it's available in most grocery stores on the mainland. Anyhow, the guy calls himself "The Very Good Butchers". Upon researching a bit, I see that he's expanded into the US as well. If you see his products, they are yummy. Definitely worth a try. His seitan hot dogs are really yummy, as was the pepperoni.

Anyhow, smokey seitan burgers for dinner tonight. I can't wait!

If I rightly remember they are based in downtown Victoria?

Reactions: Emma JC
If I rightly remember they are based in downtown Victoria?

Yes, that is correct. Have you been in BC for a visit before?

I haven't had a chance to try their cheezes yet, but my friend in Victoria says they're really good.