Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

refried bean bean dip - chopped bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, zucchini, salsa, olives, cherry tomatoes mixed in, in the oven in a small casserole dish, a bit of cheez on top, hot sauce and eaten with tortilla chips

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I'm always craving real tortilla chips.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Potatoes, onions, cauliflower in a creamy no oil vegan sauce in a 9x13 inch pan, for lunch.
Dinner is mushrooms in their juices w/onion, garlic, parsley, lemon, salt, served with whole wheat toast.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I'm excited for dinner. I'm making donairs/gyros today, using a combination of both Beyond and Impossible meat. I've made this recipe before, but as it was an experiment from the start, each time I hope to improve on it. I find since Beyond and Impossible meat doesn't behave quite the same as traditional meats would, I have to improvise different methods.

For example a traditional donair/gyro roast is usually roasted on a spit and sliced off in thin strips as it cooks. My at home version used to make a loaf, sort of like a meatloaf, and then slice that thin and fry the strips. The problem is plant-based meats crumble apart when you use either spit or loaf roast methods as you normally would. So I'm cooking my plant-based gyro roast in burger form. This should allow them to get some texture while cooking, but without drying out and turning into sawdust.

Has anyone else experimented with Beyond or Impossible meats to create traditional meat recipes? I have made Shepherd's pie a few times, but not using Beyond's recipe. I made enough Shepherd's pies in my life that recipes are not required. Vegan Shepherd's pie with a nice savory gravy on a cold winter night is the ultimate comfort food.

The main issue I find with plant-based meats like Beyond and Impossible are they tend to overcook easily in recipes. Most anything that requires baking often makes the meat either chewy and tough or in the gyro case, dry and powdery. I've used it in lasagnas, which does work, but I think I prefer veggies or even mushrooms for meaty texture. It depends on the recipe.

we had our usual pasta night only this time we had whole wheat penne with all the garlic, onion, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and I also did more soy curls with bbq sauce on top - kinda italtexicana

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

All day crockpot pasta sauce with tons of vegetables, stewed tomatoes, onion, garlic, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers and spices with a splash of red wine. Yum. Cooking it now.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC