How do you guys store your potatoes so that they don’t “grow eyes” and roots? I want to buy more but I’m afraid they will go bad before we can eat them all.
Don't worry, potatoes can last a year or more, if you store them "like soviet people do", lol.😁 When i was little, we used to store them in our "caisson" (it's a french word), which is basically a gigantic iron container buried under our garage. So almost any basement will do (if you have any).
The most important conditions are:
1) Absolute DARKNESS (except when you enter the basement with a flashlight). You need to avoid any light, otherwise solanine appears in potatoes, and it's kinda poisonous (not very deadly, but it may cause troubles);
2) You'll need to check if rodents can't penetrate inside your basement, and (they advise so), just in case, it's important to desinfect the area.
3) Temps must be ~+2°C... +4°C (35.6°F...39.2°F). It mustn't be frozen, otherwise its cells' structure is being destroyed and it becomes disgusting (but it's edible...);
4) Humidity about 70%-85% (not more), otherwise mould will appear. You'll need to use a ventilator ocasionally in order to dry it up;
5) The floor has to be covered with sand, or with anything that absorbs liquids, otherwise mould will cover the walls and then devour the potatoes (mould can be pretty invisible and undetectable by human eye);
6) The best wooden boxes' type for potatoes (we used to have something similar). The boxes are usually put on shelves (not directly on the floor):
SAVE_20200313_241832.jpg

7) Oh, and you'll need to tickle (stir) the potatoes every now and then (but very carefully, in order not to cause damage, which can turn into a rotten spot with time). Tickling potatoes helps to decrease the pressure of upper layers on lower layers,- it also helps to find rotten ones and to remove them from the boxes...

I hope you succeed. It's a good idea - to learn how to store potatoes (not because of the approaching apocalypse, but because you'll be able to buy good cheap potatoes in bulk, lets say, at a "vegetable base"). Lol, i don't know what it's called in English, but by saying "vegetable base" i mean this kind of facilities (like a huge clearance of leftovers that were gathered on the fields belonging to the state):
SAVE_20200313_244659.jpg

SAVE_20200313_244649.jpg

Last edited:
People are hoarding like mad! Cleveland area has 5 known cases, and quite a few on self quarentine. I've resolved to just assume I'll get it, and rather than stessing about prevention, I'm now more on exercise and food, and easy cheap home remedies.
I've been drinking a Tbls acv with mother in warm water in morning along with tumeric and pepper, amla, and nigella sativa seeds (I have How Not to Diet so....), Vitamin D, algae dha, b12
Fruit smoothies most morning with flax, pineapples have been cheap here again, and the local produce market gets strawberries weirdly cheap. I soak in vinegar water, hope it's enough
I stopped at Aldi realizing it is a possibility of quarentine. Spent $92.! That;s a fortune there for me, and two sons. No TP. No disinfectants there either- I m good on those anyway.
I got mostly dry items, more beans, rice, coffee

They got my favorite antihistimine nasal spray! Glad to see that - I found it better than like Nasacort, and it's $7
Now the Cleveland Clinic says it can do 500 tests a day on site so we're sure to increase numbers quickly!

My work is affected too, can't get a lot of shipments of stock, and, we've slowed production down anyway. A couple lines were told not to come in tomorrow!

People are hoarding like mad! Cleveland area has 5 known cases, and quite a few on self quarentine. I've resolved to just assume I'll get it, and rather than stessing about prevention, I'm now more on exercise and food, and easy cheap home remedies.
I've been drinking a Tbls acv with mother in warm water in morning along with tumeric and pepper, amla, and nigella sativa seeds (I have How Not to Diet so....), Vitamin D, algae dha, b12
Fruit smoothies most morning with flax, pineapples have been cheap here again, and the local produce market gets strawberries weirdly cheap. I soak in vinegar water, hope it's enough
I stopped at Aldi realizing it is a possibility of quarentine. Spent $92.! That;s a fortune there for me, and two sons. No TP. No disinfectants there either- I m good on those anyway.
I got mostly dry items, more beans, rice, coffee

They got my favorite antihistimine nasal spray! Glad to see that - I found it better than like Nasacort, and it's $7
Now the Cleveland Clinic says it can do 500 tests a day on site so we're sure to increase numbers quickly!

My work is affected too, can't get a lot of shipments of stock, and, we've slowed production down anyway. A couple lines were told not to come in tomorrow!

The virus may infect anyone, so it's kind of useless to stress about (everyone still does, me included). Complete prevention might not even be possible, but reducing the risk of getting and spreading the virus is most important. The health care facilities do not have the capacity and means to take care of a massive quantity of ill people. We must take care of the elderly and others who are at risk of serious consequences from falling ill with the coronavirus.

Plus, I love what you are doing, taking care of yourself and your family.
I think it's vital to do something that gives the feeling of being in control of the situation. It can alleviate the symptoms of stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest, I really think it's a bit stupid to think that people won't stock up. Everything we have learned so far in the society is that people will stock up. So just say "don't do it" won't help. They need to have restrictions early at the stores to avoid it. I was at the store today, and it seems like milk, toilet paper, minced meat, noodles and frozen pizza is the most common product to buy. One of my FB friend said that it's very good to be vegan now, as no one stocks up on the vegan food.

Yeah. I have shoped. I usually shop big once a month, so I just pushed it some days ahead now. So I'm good for a month now at least. It feels like I have prepared for this all my life. :p

To be honest, I really think it's a bit stupid to think that people won't stock up. Everything we have learned so far in the society is that people will stock up. So just say "don't do it" won't help. They need to have restrictions early at the stores to avoid it. I was at the store today, and it seems like milk, toilet paper, minced meat, noodles and frozen pizza is the most common product to buy. One of my FB friend said that it's very good to be vegan now, as no one stocks up on the vegan food.

Yeah. I have shoped. I usually shop big once a month, so I just pushed it some days ahead now. So I'm good for a month now at least. It feels like I have prepared for this all my life. :p

Really ? :)

Yeah. The vegan section wasn't emptied at all. We aren't too many vegans in Norway, compare with other places. Perhaps something to do with it. And may be vegans don't need to buy 25 items of everything? We just stock up with 5? :p And buying 25 items of one thing would ruin us, as vegan food in Norway isn't too cheap. :p (I think of the premade burgers etc now...).

Hello all

Well, I did manage to get dog food yesterday, so the dog's ok! :dog:

Picked up a few bits of dried pulses, could not find bread yeast anywhere, almost every item of tinned stuff gone, except things like spaghetti hoops in tomato sauce, or, beans with sausages (non-vegan). This time I noticed a gap where there used to be tinned meats and fish. There was only the expensive toilet paper last week, none yesterday, and of course nothing for cleaning with the words 'anti-bac' on it or hand gel...

Even the dried pulses were depleted to how they have been... Looks like I will be reduced to using re-usable cloths, thinking that I could bleach in eco-bleach and then put through a hot wash in the washing machine. Bit awkward explaining that one to guests - maybe we should have a toilet roll party, where I cook up pulses and everyone brings a roll? :poop:

Now wish I had a bidet. I do remember my gran having the cut up newspaper on a string in the outdoor lavvy. Showing my age there. Unfortunately I don't tend to buy any nowadays, unless I wait for the free weekly one. Not great, you end up with black ink on your nether regions! There are worse things.

Forgot the odd thing so have to drag myself back there. I was able to get vegan things like nutrient yeast (nooch), peanut powder, hemp seeds, a few nuts and seeds. There was a big gap in the 'Free from' shelves, mostly bread, and hardly any long life milk (dairy and vegan). I heard people on their phones a few times telling whoever was on the other end 'There aren't any x, y, z - do you want a, b, c instead?'

Never known anything like it since the great bread shortage of the 1970s, and there was a sugar one as well I think... Now that we've been told that no large events are to be held, and sports events, etc are being cancelled, I am kind of surprised that USA is still open to travellers from UK.

Shopping is so anxiety relieving.... lol

okay, I am done now, I promise, maybe

So happy that I started this shopping experience back when I did, wow just checked and it was Feb 26 when I started this thread. Today I went out for the last few things as our community is shutting down although we only have 2 cases locally however we are a hop skip and a jump from Toronto which has more. All schools, libraries, public civic places etc. Did all my banking for the month so don't have to worry about that. Very bummed about the library! Our Prime Minister, who is self-isolated as his wife picked up the virus in the UK, has put out a request that all Canadians come home while they can.

My big search today was for tofu as my main store was out and I finally learned how to cook it to my liking and so was a bit upset I couldn't find any. Then went to the local health food store and they had lots so I bought 5 packs of it. The secret I learned was from Cheap Lazy Vegan - cut it into slices and freeze it, then squeeze out the water and because the water expands inside the slices when frozen it sucks up the marinade so much better - had it last night and it was fantastic with the new (to us) Korean paste that I found, gochujang, it is spectacularly tasty.

Besides tofu today I picked up more cans of breakfast beans, tomato, lemon juice, tahini, peanut butter, garlic (almost none left), a huge kale, lots of bananas, mushrooms, celery. All the frozen berries were sold out completely and it is a huge section so I took a package of frozen black cherries and frozen lemon/lime. Also went to the bulk store for more nutritional yeast, regular yeast, oats, flour, etc. and filled a water bottle.

No toilet paper anywhere!! no isopropyl alcohol etc.

A couple more bags of chips, some more Field Roast sausage and Gardein meatballs and some bread.

Now on to eating it all.....

Stay healthy everyone! this too shall end.

Emma JC

Shopping is so anxiety relieving.... lol

okay, I am done now, I promise, maybe

So happy that I started this shopping experience back when I did, wow just checked and it was Feb 26 when I started this thread. Today I went out for the last few things as our community is shutting down although we only have 2 cases locally however we are a hop skip and a jump from Toronto which has more. All schools, libraries, public civic places etc. Did all my banking for the month so don't have to worry about that. Very bummed about the library! Our Prime Minister, who is self-isolated as his wife picked up the virus in the UK, has put out a request that all Canadians come home while they can.

My big search today was for tofu as my main store was out and I finally learned how to cook it to my liking and so was a bit upset I couldn't find any. Then went to the local health food store and they had lots so I bought 5 packs of it. The secret I learned was from Cheap Lazy Vegan - cut it into slices and freeze it, then squeeze out the water and because the water expands inside the slices when frozen it sucks up the marinade so much better - had it last night and it was fantastic with the new (to us) Korean paste that I found, gochujang, it is spectacularly tasty.

Besides tofu today I picked up more cans of breakfast beans, tomato, lemon juice, tahini, peanut butter, garlic (almost none left), a huge kale, lots of bananas, mushrooms, celery. All the frozen berries were sold out completely and it is a huge section so I took a package of frozen black cherries and frozen lemon/lime. Also went to the bulk store for more nutritional yeast, regular yeast, oats, flour, etc. and filled a water bottle.

No toilet paper anywhere!! no isopropyl alcohol etc.

A couple more bags of chips, some more Field Roast sausage and Gardein meatballs and some bread.

Now on to eating it all.....

Stay healthy everyone! this too shall end.

Emma JC
Yeah, no isopropyl anywhere. :sigh: Toilet paper is in abundance though. Thankfully, russians don't have this idea - to stock up on TP yet. Everything is in abundance, except masks and isopropyl. I told mom to buy a few bottles of 40% vodka, at least (to desinfect masks and surfaces in the future, though 40%-ethanol doesn't actually desinfect anything)... At least there is an enormous supply of vodka everywhere (so there is no threat of running out of vodka, lol).
Today my mom seems not as insane as she was yesterday. She's acting more rational and even somewhat listens to what i say. It's probably happening because she has got really frightened this morning: some person who works in Mariinsky theatre is contaminated.😱 Elijah (my sister's husband) told it. Elijah works in Mariinsky too (as a choir soloist). All their tours are cancelled. Performances are not cancelled yet (wtf??). Everyone is getting really scared. E.g. tomorrow, mom is going to Koltushi village, where my sister Liza, her husband Elijah and their 16-months son (my nephew baby David) live, because they need her to "baby-sit" David. It's very far from us. So Elijah is going to come here, to our hometown, by his car, deliberately, just in order to take mom to their place, so she won't have to traipse all over the city (especially in the subway), which is unsafe now.
P.S. While listening to my favourite NZ radio yesterday evening, i heard about cutie Justin Trudeau... Poor mite...:hmm: On that radio, they are monitoring the situation quite thoroughly, which affects the listeners' mental health, i believe, but what can we do... Oh, well...
Sorry to hear that your community is shutting down.:sigh: I feel so bad for all Canadians who have become accidental "hostages" of this situation.
Hang in there.😎 And stay safe.:hug:

/Ungh-shu.🐨

I love tofu after it’s been frozen and pressed but I’m too lazy to even do that lol.
I lucked out and I have a container plus two travel packs of wipes, a spray bottle of alcohol and bottle of aloe. I also got a box of the tiny all square wipes they use to disinfect your arm when they take blood. There’s a rumor going around that they want to shut down grocery stores but I think it’s just that, a rumor.

Last edited:
I love tofu after it’s been frozen and pressed but I’m too lazy to even do that lol.
I lucked out and I have a container plus two travel packs of wipes, a spray bottle of alcohol and bottle of aloe. I also got a box of the tiny all square wipes they use to did if’s your arm when they take blood. There’s a rumor going around that they want to shut down grocery stores but I think it’s just that, a rumor.

I think the places they should shut down are my favourite places, the bulk food stores, it has to be the least sanitary place to shop and that's the other reason I went there today and stocked up on nooch. They have said they will not shut the grocery or drug stores.... hopefully not the liquor stores either. We have specific stores for alcohol although some of our grocery stores are allowed to carry wine and beer.... no going to the corner store for whiskey in Ontario. :( So far all stores are still open.

Emma JC

I went to the local discount store today that has my apple cider vinegar with mother. I've been taking a Tblsp in warm water every morning, just because. I add the tumeric to it.
I was glad I went too- they were well stocked and were limiting cleaning and paper supplies to 2 per customer, with the same low prices. I did get bleach. 🙄. I can use it to wash the garage siding as it's has green algae or something on the side.
It was good to see people shopping a bit more normally.
I had a chuckle when I saw a woman with nothing in her cart but Corona beer!
I just remembered I got a pack of apple ginger sparkling water they had on sale- left it in my car. It's the unsweetened kind
1584226134398.png

I lucked out and I have a container plus two travel packs of wipes, a spray bottle of alcohol and bottle of aloe. I also got a box of the tiny all square wipes they use to did if’s your arm when they take blood. There’s a rumor going around that they want to shut down grocery stores but I think it’s just that, a rumor.
I love tofu---except after it's been frozen! The first time I prepared it I made it like that and just yuck to me! I always didn't try again, and people who like it like that kept offering me tofu they prepared. No thanks!
Reminded me I forgot to get miso

I went to the local discount store today that has my apple cider vinegar with mother. I've been taking a Tblsp in warm water every morning, just because. I add the tumeric to it.
I was glad I went too- they were well stocked and were limiting cleaning and paper supplies to 2 per customer, with the same low prices. I did get bleach. 🙄. I can use it to wash the garage siding as it's has green algae or something on the side.
It was good to see people shopping a bit more normally.
I had a chuckle when I saw a woman with nothing in her cart but Corona beer!
I just remembered I got a pack of apple ginger sparkling water they had on sale- left it in my car. It's the unsweetened kind
View attachment 20068
Doesn't apple cider vinegar cause teeth corrosion? :(

From the very childhood until now, i've been consuming tons of apple cider vinegar (at first - with dumplings, later - with salads and everything, including soups, stews, just boiled red beans that i devour frequently, etc...). I never noticed any corrosion because of it. (Vice versa, i would say that my teeth, in general, decay slower than others' teeth).
OTOH, ordinary (white) vinegar can cause a lot of damage(!), even to internal organs.
Nevertheless, i would say, when consuming apple cider vinegar, one should stick to the rule "everything in moderation". Because, as we say: "S duri mozhno i khren slomat'" ("One can break his "horseradish" out of the exagerrated enthusiasm"). 😁

Last edited:
All acids soften enamel temporarily, even coffee. Vinegar of any kind should never be taken straight, as it would burn the esophagus. I dilute a Tblspoon in about 2/3 ish of a cup of warm water and follow it with a glass of water, swishing first. You should avoid brushing teeth for 20-30 minutes after anything acidic, coffee, fruit, many herbal teas. This would also apply to lemonade, and salads with vinegar based dressings.
While there is back and forth research on what vinegar does, whether keep sugar levels in check, lower cholesterol, thin mucus...it's cheap, and I don't mind taking it, I add my nasty tumeric and pepper mix to it and chug it down.
Your teeth remineralize after about 20-30 minutes

I made my morning routine coffee, shower, brush teeth, vinegar water.

All acids soften enamel temporarily, even coffee. Vinegar of any kind should never be taken straight, as it would burn the esophagus. I dilute a Tblspoon in about 2/3 ish of a cup of warm water and follow it with a glass of water, swishing first. You should avoid brushing teeth for 20-30 minutes after anything acidic, coffee, fruit, many herbal teas. This would also apply to lemonade, and salads with vinegar based dressings.
While there is back and forth research on what vinegar does, whether keep sugar levels in check, lower cholesterol, thin mucus...it's cheap, and I don't mind taking it, I add my nasty tumeric and pepper mix to it and chug it down.

That's right, i never brush my teeth after a meal.🐈

Reactions: Emma JC

Thank you for explaining. :)

Reactions: Emma JC
It's not so obvious yet, but people have started panicking. As soon as Petersburgians have the most philosophical definition of life (only in theory, lol) than any other russians, they are still pretending that everything is cool. But every now and then, i see people stocking up on something (that SEEMS important to them). I also see people asking for desinfectant items in pharmacy shops (all the time), but everything is sold out.
Today afternoon, i saw a senior woman who was stocking up on pasta, and a man who was stocking up on toilet paper and diapers. And in general, i didn't expect to see so much people in grocers on Tuesday afternoon. (Maybe some of them are not working today due to the free regime that was announced in most schools and some offices).
So i called mom (who is on her way to Liza's place now) and told her to make Liza stock up on diapers, hygiene items and medicines, especially the ones that David might need *knocking on wood*. Then Liza suddenly called me, started preaching and trying to make me persuade mom to wear a mask in the subway.
I may seem crazy, but having seen how quickly people are "devouring" liquid soap in public restrooms (sometimes there is no soap), i got 3 packs of this.👇 Now i can use it at work and even without water! (because it's not very foamy, and feels more like cream that can be just wiped away from hands with a towel or a handkerchief). I can even play piano with this soap on hands (i checked it out!). Moreover, i got an unexpected bonus out of it: it's capable of moisturizing my tzipki (and other parts of irritated skin). It was sold out yesterday. People have bought almost all liquid soap in so-called "frogs" (soft plastic containers), because it's very convenient.
It's written here: "Liquid soap. Triple mosturizing. Anti-pollution effect. Sea algae and hyaluronic acid. Protects from damage from the outside. Provides long-term and sustainable mosturizing".
IMG_20200317_083827.jpg