Please Consider Stocking Up On Food Now

MOD POST

Could we keep this conversation about stocking up on food and not Covid vaccinations. If you wish to continue your debate please post
in the following thread. Thanks.:)

Reactions: Emma JC
I’ve always lived in the sticks, so having a stock of things is my way of life. Also I don’t waste food. I eat something until it’s gone and before it has a chance to go bad. Before starting something else. I’ve spent most of my life with no extra money. It’s difficult to get me to fall victim to temptation of new tech, fads, advertising, etc.

I got enough food for several months here. It might not necessarily be what I want but it will feed me.

If we see a shortage on the horizon, then yes we should stock up. But smartly. Like my buddy’s mom, she believed in the Y2K crash hype, so over the course of the year she bought 2 of everything instead of 1.

Please DO NOT panic buy. That’s the easiest way to create a real shortage. Others follow suit, then the rest buy whatever they can when they see it because no telling when they will get it again. Causes a huge disruption in the supply chain that takes forever to balance back out.

I’ve always lived in the sticks, so having a stock of things is my way of life. Also I don’t waste food. I eat something until it’s gone and before it has a chance to go bad. Before starting something else. I’ve spent most of my life with no extra money. It’s difficult to get me to fall victim to temptation of new tech, fads, advertising, etc.

I got enough food for several months here. It might not necessarily be what I want but it will feed me.

If we see a shortage on the horizon, then yes we should stock up. But smartly. Like my buddy’s mom, she believed in the Y2K crash hype, so over the course of the year she bought 2 of everything instead of 1.

Please DO NOT panic buy. That’s the easiest way to create a real shortage. Others follow suit, then the rest buy whatever they can when they see it because no telling when they will get it again. Causes a huge disruption in the supply chain that takes forever to balance back out.
Please note that there was no real shortage of TP until the shelves were empty.
When millions of humans shopping begin to see shelves are bare, they will all try to but what is left at the same time.
You do what you choose but I strongly suggest not waiting until that happens. I do not believe in panic buying. Simply
purchase several of what you normally purchase every shopping trip. Right now in the entire world there is only 6-7 weeks
worth of wheat left. When that is gone, the (non-existent) fall harvest will not fill in the gap. What happens will shock
Americans used to full shelves and full bellies. goo luck.

There are difficulties in some areas of the world but overall it is a good year for grain

This will go down as one of the easiest harvests in recent memory. There has scarcely been a stop for wet weather over the past few weeks. Farmers are also thankful grain is at a low moisture, although there is probably too much grain delivered under 15pc moisture content for many farmers’ liking. Grain quality appears to be excellent and it looks likely straw gathered up quickly.

This will go down as one of the easiest harvests in recent memory

:)

Reactions: silva
I've seen food shortages in the stores, but it seems to be mostly in the high processed food areas.

Fresh food, beans, grains seem to be fully stocked. There seems to be some higher prices, but not substantially.

I think the inflation might have one side benefit. People may not be as willing to overbuy food, and then throw it out. Farmers, distributors, stores, and consumers won't be as willing to throw away "imperfect" food.

Reactions: Brian W and silva
Right now in the entire world there is only 6-7 weeksworth of wheat left. When that is gone, the (non-existent) fall harvest will not fill in the gap. What happens will shock Americans used to full shelves and full bellies. goo luck.

Record spring wheat harvest possible in North Dakota​

Representatives from the North Dakota Wheat Commission say this year could yield a record spring wheat crop. They’re projecting about 51 bushels per acre if everything goes to plan, and that’s almost 20 bushels per acre higher than last year.

Again, assuming normal conditions through harvest and the long-term trend, USDA initially expects average yield (production per acre) for all U.S. wheat in 2022 to increase 11% from the drought-affected 2021 yield. If farmers achieve this increase, USDA expects the larger crop will help increase total U.S. 2022/23 supplies by 5% to 2.708 billion bushels or 73.71 million metric tons (MMT).

The US is poised to deliver a bumper spring wheat crop in the upcoming weeks, which if realized could help relieve global shortfalls caused by turmoil in the Black Sea.

Fields in North Dakota, the top producing US state, are forecast to yield a record high 49.1 bushels per acre of the grain, according to the final estimate of a three-day crop tour led by the Wheat Quality Council. North Dakota makes up about half of the US’s spring wheat crop.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
I've started ordering boxes of soy milk to be delivered. I don't think there is a soy milk shortage, I just think with all the other plant milks available they have pushed the soy milk off the shelves.

I've started ordering boxes of soy milk to be delivered. I don't think there is a soy milk shortage, I just think with all the other plant milks available they have pushed the soy milk off the shelves.
Trader Joes had the shelf stable soy beverage problems, but it is now fully stocked and they see no further problems. I think that was a suppler problem. I was able to get 10 cartons.
I had stocked up on vital wheat gluten already fearing a shortage, well really just because I got a good deal!

Coffee prices are going up

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
We over-produce food to the degree that 40% is thrown into landfills. If production is down, then we will just have to stop throwing away food.
Agreed. There is an enormous amount of food waste in this country in multiple areas; crops, vegetables, fruit, meat, dairy, eggs..
About 20% of the food we have in our homes is also wasted for one reason or another.
Perhaps a "food shortage" will get all of us to be more careful, appreciate more, and demand that agriculture as a whole
stop insisting that produce has to be 'perfect' looking, and waste so much in the fields. thanks.

stop insisting that produce has to be 'perfect' looking, and waste so much in the fields. thanks.

agreed - the frozen berries that I buy are no name "Imperfect" berries in a large bag - a few of them are inedible but most are just fine and a lot less expensive than the regular 'perfect' ones

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
It used to be that I would stock on up soy milk when the cartons were less than $2 each. it seems like now I'm lucky to find them for less than 3

Also in the refrigerated section, half gallons were reguraly less than 5. now I'm looking to buy it when its less than 6.

Not Milk seems to be the best bargain in the plant milk section.

• Friendly
Reactions: LoreD and KLS52
It used to be that I would stock on up soy milk when the cartons were less than $2 each. it seems like now I'm lucky to find them for less than 3

Also in the refrigerated section, half gallons were reguraly less than 5. now I'm looking to buy it when its less than 6.

Not Milk seems to be the best bargain in the plant milk section.
I think Trader Joe's has good prices. Nut milks in cartons are highy priced, they have few nuts in them and they have only
1 gram protein per serving. I think it costs less to make your own, if willing to. I started making my own tempeh, but
heating a plastic container to keep the mix warm, turned me off. I may just stick to beans. Some stores have great sales
on plant milks. Publix here has 2 for 1 sales on many items every week, sometimes plant milks. If you have a Grocery Outlet
in your area they often have great sales as well.

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52