Please Consider Stocking Up On Food Now

VeganRachel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Raw vegan
This topic has been mentioned by politicians and the media (who I honestly distrust).
Costs of fertilizers, gasoline, diesel and other supplies have increased. Crops have been
destroyed, warehouses sabotaged, droughts, all leading to dwindling supplies and very few crops
to be harvested in the Fall. Even animal businesses have had many millions of animals destroyed
in one way or another.

I suggest stocking up on grains and beans, canned vegetables, pasta, dried fruits, nuts, seeds and
nut butters as a start. Enough food to last 2 to 3 months. If you have animals you will need extra food
for them. Keep raw grains and beans in sealed containers such as 5 gallon buckets with lids. Whole grains
and beans are inexpensive compared to prepared foods loaded with salt and oils.
No one thought there would be a toilet paper, or, baby food shortage. Food is next on the list.

If you choose not to believe and stock up, you will find empty shelves this Fall. This is not a joke. I am simply
sharing practical and prudent advice while markets shelves, supermarkets, and Amazon are still stocked.
Here are two video's to help get your started.
(food shortage prep, plant-based foods)
(27 vegan prepper items)

Best wishes, vegan rachel

I haven't seen anything to make me this concerned. Where are you getting this?

I have a lot of Mormon family members and they're supposed to keep a year's supply of food...that's one of the few parts that actually makes sense to me!

I do think it makes sense to keep a couple months of non perishable food--food that you regularly eat and rotate stock. Beans, grains, flour.
I happen to have 20 pounds of vital wheat gluten now!

I think seeds for sprouting is an excellent idea.

I'm not buying into the idea of complete scarcity, but I can envision further shortages and inflated pricing.
Right now we're experiencing shortages of certian foods like I'd never seen in my life

It is time for households to garden and trade

That's a good idea, I've also started stacking up on precious metals incase inflation gets much worse.

I have a lot of Mormon family members and they're supposed to keep a year's supply of food...that's one of the few parts that actually makes sense to me!
I'm curious why people think there would be food on the shelves now if there is supposedly going to be a shortage in the fall. I mean, if there are problems with food production & distribution, I would think we would be seeing the shortages right now... and would not have to wait until the fall to see shortages considering businesses don't keep a lot of stocks of food on hand (they rely on "just in time" shipping/business practices to deliver replacement supplies of foods more or less as they are purchased to reduce the need to warehouse excess food, which minimizes food storage costs).

I'm curious why people think there would be food on the shelves now if there is supposedly going to be a shortage in the fall. I mean, if there are problems with food production & distribution, I would think we would be seeing the shortages right now... and would not have to wait until the fall to see shortages considering businesses don't keep a lot of stocks of food on hand (they rely on "just in time" shipping/business practices to deliver replacement supplies of foods more or less as they are purchased to reduce the need to warehouse excess food, which minimizes food storage costs).
Just one of several explanations for that phenomenon would be the seasonality of food production; a shortage in carrot seed now would mean a shortage of carrots in 3 months’ time, not right now.

Another is that a shortage of one commodity now might well result in higher consumption of substitutes, thereby depleting the stock of the substitutes, and only causing a shortage once those stocks run low.

That said, I live in the UK and have heard nothing about these predicted shortages. If so, that suggests it’s either a national rather than global problem (so possible to deal with by more imports - more costly but not the end of the world) or that it isn’t the scale of problem it’s made out to be.

Reactions: Second Summer
There are "shortages" in a sense, but not for the average American. I mean, prices of things like wheat and rice are going up, and this is causing political instability in some nations of the "global south" where people's incomes are not high enough to handle price increases like that.

But it seems odd to me that Americans think there won't be wheat or rice products on the supermarket shelf to buy anymore soon. I think there will be food available... but the price will just be higher unless the Ukraine-Russia dispute comes to a resolution.

I'd also like to point out the selfishness of people who pay farmers to feed wheat, soy, rice, corn, whatever to cows/chickens/pigs/etc to produce animal products for them -- at a time when many people around the world don't have enough of these plant crops to eat. They literally seem to be taking food out of the mouths of some of the world's poorest people in order to satisfy their own gluttonous desires for animal products.

I'd also like to point out the selfishness of people who pay farmers to feed wheat, soy, rice, corn, whatever to cows/chickens/pigs/etc to produce animal products for them -- at a time when many people around the world don't have enough of these plant crops to eat. They literally seem to be taking food out of the mouths of some of the world's poorest people in order to satisfy their own gluttonous desires for animal products.
In most cases I don't think they are being selfish or gluttonous, I think they genuinely fear the idea of becoming vegan and think they would find it too difficult. Bad actions don't necessarily come from bad motives.

Hmmm. Given I’ve declared myself as a meat eater, I suppose you’ll be meaning me.

Please don’t think for one moment that the ”consume more, spend more” throwaway society - or the marketing machine that pushes those ideals - leaves vegans alone. We all waste, and we and our governments do less than we should to help those in need unless it becomes politically expedient.

Yes, I’ve just made a very sweeping statement; a set of oversimplified generalisations that seem pretty accurate but in fact do an injustice to a lot of individuals. Just like your statement, in fact. You’ve called me selfish and gluttonous without knowing anything about me.

Another member on this forum (@Hog) posted a thread trying to better understand meat eaters. I’ve been considering for a while whether or not to contribute, and the accommodating welcome I got from others here almost convinced me my opinions would be listened to and considered, and that I would not just be volunteering to appear on trial with the verdict already decided. Thank you for reminding me the understanding of some is not universal..

Last edited:
I do think it makes sense to keep a couple months of non perishable food--food that you regularly eat and rotate stock. Beans, grains, flour.

I'm not buying into the idea of complete scarcity, but I can envision further shortages and inflated pricing.
Right now we're experiencing shortages of certian foods like I'd never seen in my life

I'm with you. I have about 10 pounds of vital wheat gluten at the moment, and I would like more. I'm going to make an Aldi run soon and stock up on staples and canned goods.

I'm with you. I have about 10 pounds of vital wheat gluten at the moment, and I would like more. I'm going to make an Aldi run soon and stock up on staples and canned goods.
If you buy Anthonys do that google search/vital wheat gluten, select "shopping"--and click on the Anthonys link for $14.93 at Anthonys Goods
That's why I got 4 bags. It's been $19.99 for some time everywhere else, including Anthonys site if you go directly there.
Shipping is free

I need to stock up on split red lentils. They're hard enough to find now!
I should try other dahls, maybe I will

Reactions: Veganite

Yes, Mormons (and Amish) are usually prepared.
In the alternative news realms there is a ton of information about food crops and warehouses being destroyed, etcetera.
The lamestream media is not telling the truth so of course you would not hear about it. however they have mentioned
stocking up on food occasionally.
Search "food shortages" on Bitchute and Brighteon.

I need to stock up on split red lentils. They're hard enough to find now!
I should try other dahls, maybe I will
Amazon seems to have everything you need right now. They even have 10-25 pound bags of some things.
Some Indian stores, or even (Korean) H-Mart, also have grains and beans.

Stores have massive warehouses and stock a lot of foods there. Before the TP shortage there was plenty of TP on the shelves,
until the warehouses ran out....Crops are harvested in the fall. We are still consuming last Falls' harvests....

There is no harm in having extra food. In Florida here we are told to have extra water, food, batteries, supplies on hand when there
'are hurricanes coming. We can be practical, not fearful. Sprouting and even having a garden are great ideas. I bought several garden tools and vegetable
seeds. Lentil and broccoli sprouts are delicious. Chickpea flour can be used to make scrambled "eggs". I also think its' prudent to have
extra vitamins and minerals on hand like B12, D3, Zinc, magnesium, trace minerals, etcetera.

Hmmm. Given I’ve declared myself as a meat eater, I suppose you’ll be meaning me.

Please don’t think for one moment that the ”consume more, spend more” throwaway society - or the marketing machine that pushes those ideals - leaves vegans alone. We all waste, and we and our governments do less than we should to help those in need unless it becomes politically expedient.

Your response is essentially whataboutism... a type of logical fallacy. To quote Wikipedia, this whataboutism involves:
"a procedure in which a critical question or argument is not answered or discussed, but retorted with a critical counter-question which expresses a counter-accusation. From a logical and argumentative point of view it is considered a variant of the Tu-quoque pattern (Latin 'you too', term for a counter-accusation), which is a subtype of the Ad-hominem argument.[1][2][3][4]"

In this case, I made the argument that meat consumption diverts scarce plant food crops away from the world's poorest people in order to feed them to animals to produce animal products. Instead of explaining why this isn't true, you responded with a counter-accusation that vegans are wasteful too.

Thus, your response is whataboutism.

Last edited:
@vegan89, I congratulate you. You selectively attacked only part of my posting, and specifically the part I myself countered in my very next paragraph - a paragraph you kindly omitted from your quote. In essence, I said "I can make sweeping statements too; look here" and then illustrated why it was a dodgy thing to do.

The only point I actually made in the post you half quoted was that you were combining sweeping generalisations with emotive labels to create a polarised viewpoint that is offensive to anyone who is a subject of your barb, and since it oversimplifies it almost guarantees that offense will be aimed at plenty for whom the language is uncalled for; the shades of grey in between your black and white.

You're quite right that I didn't answer or discuss your assertion. I also explained why I wasn't going to. I came to this forum to discover and learn, not create arguments, so I'm not going to try and combat your views. The only thing I actually challenged you on was your phrasing your views in a combative and condescending manner, and that has done much to reinforce my feeling that if I do ever try to put forward a reasoned summary of my position as a meat-eater you will not be open-minded enough to consider it.

If you had promoted plant-based food production as a means of freeing up food to feed the needy, I wouldn't have even commented. Instead, you chose to attack those who don't consume an entirely plant-based diet. Attack vs promote. Destroy rather than build. Change the way you articulate your viewpoint and you may well persuade more people of its validity. Of course, it won't feel quite as satisfying as coming out of your corner fighting but it might just do more good.