Please Consider Stocking Up On Food Now

We over-produce food to the degree that 40% is thrown into landfills. If production is down, then we will just have to stop throwing away food.
I think we appreciate things more when we respect them. We have sooo much food in this country that it has become
easy to waste it and just buy more. I have watched several youtube video's about dumpster diving. I can afford to buy
food. However, I have looked in several store dumpsters and been appalled at what was being thrown out. Much of it
was perfectly edible (bread, bananas, potatoes, juice, popcorn, and other products). One Aldi dumpster I looked in, for months,
had enough food every week to feed a family of four. They often throw out stuff just because they get a new shipment in.
The complete 'waste" of edible food is what gets to me. I called two organizations that feed needy people and told them to consider
calling Aldi and seeing if they can pick up unwanted food every week. This is just one store's dumpster, multiply that by many
others. There are also many crops that leave vegetables and fruits rotting in the fields. No one should go hungry in this country.

I think we appreciate things more when we respect them. We have sooo much food in this country that it has become
easy to waste it and just buy more. I have watched several youtube video's about dumpster diving. I can afford to buy
food. However, I have looked in several store dumpsters and been appalled at what was being thrown out. Much of it
was perfectly edible (bread, bananas, potatoes, juice, popcorn, and other products). One Aldi dumpster I looked in, for months,
had enough food every week to feed a family of four. They often throw out stuff just because they get a new shipment in.
The complete 'waste" of edible food is what gets to me. I called two organizations that feed needy people and told them to consider
calling Aldi and seeing if they can pick up unwanted food every week. This is just one store's dumpster, multiply that by many
others. There are also many crops that leave vegetables and fruits rotting in the fields. No one should go hungry in this country.

The amount of food that is thrown out by consumers is also considerable. People who buy takeout and then won't eat leftovers. My daughter's ex husband would insist on making large meals, and then refuse to eat leftovers. He didn't know that my daughter was freezing the leftovers in a basement freezer, and then bringing them out as "freshly made" a few weeks later.

I freeze all of my veggie scraps for making broth, and then take them over to a public composting drop site.

I will eat meals that I don't particularly like because I don't believe in being "picky" about my food. I make a recipe and realize it wasn't that great, but I eat it anyway.

Also, sometimes those veggies will look a little nasty, I peel them, and they are just fine.

I was rather surprised when I went over to the local food composting bucket. There was a large, perfectly good cabbage in there. It wasn't the scraps; it was the whole cabbage. Nothing wrong with it. It was something that could have been donated to a local food bank, but was thrown out in a composting bin.

What were people thinking?

The thread kind of evolved into a discussion about food waste, and how people are working to reduce the problem.
More "hijacked".
It's fine to stay on topic :)

I must admit with all the price increases and random shortages I am finding myself stocking more than usual when I find a sale

I rarely have waste that wasn't bad to begin with--like the last peach I bought 🙄.
Can't imagine throwing out a cabbage, they last sooo long in the fridge. If I did I'd put it out in the yard. Compost piles are a great way to get around the "don't feed the animals" laws. (I don't have things like bear or gators here)

Companies waste all manner of things. What my company throws out should be a crime. No one is allowed to take anything. They've been doing a purge to free up space and the dumpsters had good desks, chairs, trash cans...you name it. Nothing donated. Why it pains me to argue with people about taxing and fining corporations

More "hijacked".

I must admit with all the price increases and random shortages I am finding myself stocking more than usual when I find a sale

I rarely have waste that wasn't bad to begin with--like the last peach I bought 🙄.
Can't imagine throwing out a cabbage, they last sooo long in the fridge. If I did I'd put it out in the yard. Compost piles are a great way to get around the "don't feed the animals" laws. (I don't have things like bear or gators here)

Companies waste all manner of things. What my company throws out should be a crime. No one is allowed to take anything. They've been doing a purge to free up space and the dumpsters had good desks, chairs, trash cans...you name it. Nothing donated. Why it pains me to argue with people about taxing and fining corporations
This is surprising and sad. I am happy to say that TJX donates lots of stuff. Items that are damaged but still usable and clothing items are packed up and donated on a regular basis. However when I worked for Sally Beauty Supply, we would cut the cords off of returned appliances and throw them out which I always thought was terrible. Also when I worked at Sears many years ago, we actually smashed the returned small appliances and tossed them. Such waste!
As far as food, I hate throwing out things but sometimes do because just one person doesn't always use it up before it goes bad. :(

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
More "hijacked".

I know. When I see a good price on an item I know that I will eat, I do stock up. With a lot of the supply chain issues, a lot of items are more difficult to get. I was looking on Amazon for some of Orrington's veggie concentrate, and saw a guaranteed delivery date of the end of December (two months).

I don't think there are food shortages. There are just shortages of certain items.

Reactions: PTree15
Downside of stocking up is the shock when you get through it and see the new prices! :laughing:
I just finished the last bag of walnuts I had stocked-- I found them a pound for .99 cents I think in spring, and bought like 7 bags I froze. I was so surprised to see the last bag :worried:

The thread kind of evolved into a discussion about food waste, and how people are working to reduce the problem.
You are right. There is a connection between the need to grow more food and the amount of existing food that is being wasted.
I think the same about water. We take both for granted.

Your response is essentially whataboutism... a type of logical fallacy. To quote Wikipedia, this whataboutism involves:

In this case, I made the argument that meat consumption diverts scarce plant food crops away from the world's poorest people in order to feed them to animals to produce animal products. Instead of explaining why this isn't true, you responded with a counter-accusation that vegans are wasteful too.

Thus, your response is whataboutism.
Apparently the natural trees in the rainforests are pulled down to provide food for animals to create junk food. Something like that.

It used to be that I would stock on up soy milk when the cartons were less than $2 each. it seems like now I'm lucky to find them for less than 3

Also in the refrigerated section, half gallons were reguraly less than 5. now I'm looking to buy it when its less than 6.

Not Milk seems to be the best bargain in the plant milk section.

True. Since no local store stocks NotMilk, I have to special order it from a health food store. I buy a carton of 6 half gallons for about $25. Ripple is about $6 per liter.

Last edited:
This topic has been mentioned by politicians and the media (who I honestly distrust).
Costs of fertilizers, gasoline, diesel and other supplies have increased. Crops have been
destroyed, warehouses sabotaged, droughts, all leading to dwindling supplies and very few crops
to be harvested in the Fall. Even animal businesses have had many millions of animals destroyed
in one way or another.

I suggest stocking up on grains and beans, canned vegetables, pasta, dried fruits, nuts, seeds and
nut butters as a start. Enough food to last 2 to 3 months. If you have animals you will need extra food
for them. Keep raw grains and beans in sealed containers such as 5 gallon buckets with lids. Whole grains
and beans are inexpensive compared to prepared foods loaded with salt and oils.
No one thought there would be a toilet paper, or, baby food shortage. Food is next on the list.

If you choose not to believe and stock up, you will find empty shelves this Fall. This is not a joke. I am simply
sharing practical and prudent advice while markets shelves, supermarkets, and Amazon are still stocked.
Here are two video's to help get your started.
(food shortage prep, plant-based foods)
(27 vegan prepper items)

Best wishes, vegan rachel
I do know that before leaving our old country there were a LOT of empty shelves, and it was only a couple of months ago, it's always a good thing to have a pantry full of canned goods in case there is power shortage for days ( which is already hyappening in Europe ), or other things. The sadness is seeing all these poor animals being treated like that, makes me so powerless and angry :'(

Reactions: Emma JC