Importance of Alkaline Foods & DietAlkaline foods are vital in maintaining pH balance in the body. Experts suggest that having a balanced meal with a good blend of all the food groups is important to uplift overall wellness, rather than restricting to certain food items. As per the acid-ash theory, acidic ash is believed to make you prone to illness, whereas alkaline ash is protective. Thereby choosing alkaline foods would help to keep up the pH of the body and enhance overall health.
The alkaline diet is also called the acid-alkaline or alkaline ash diet that claims to alter the pH value of the human body, improve well-being, manage weight, and combat cancer. It is based on the concept that a few foods can cause your body to produce acid, which is detrimental. However, consuming certain foods or drinks can alter the body’s acid level or pH balance.
Benefits Of Alkaline Foods In Your DietOne of the most important benefits of alkaline foods is that it protects bone density and muscle mass. While a high acid level in the body can cause inflammation, an alkaline diet can boost immune functions and reduce swelling and redness. By including alkaline in your diet plan, it helps in preventing obesity by lowering the level of leptin and also helps in eliminating toxins from the body.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) dietary guidelines include calorie recommendations and tips for a healthy, balanced diet. The following nutrient-dense foods are recommended by the USDA.
|Vegetables and dark, leafy greens||Fruits||Grains||Lean meats||Beans & Legumes||Nuts &Seeds||Milk products||Oils|
|spinach||apples||quinoa||chicken breast||lentils||walnuts||reduced-fat milk||olive oil|
|broccoli||berries||brown rice||fish||peas||almonds||cheese||avocado oil|
|green beans||melon||oats||turkey breast||sunflower seeds||yogurt|
- Adopting a plant-based diet rich in fruits and vegetables may help you achieve overall wellness and protect against certain diseases.
- Food affects the pH of your urine, but not your blood
- It’s critical for your health that the pH of your blood remains constant.
- If it were to fall outside of the normal range, your cells would stop working and you would die very quickly if untreated.
- For this reason, your body has many effective ways to closely regulate its pH balance. This is known as acid-base homeostasis.
- In fact, it’s nearly impossible for food to change the pH value of blood in healthy people, although tiny fluctuations can occur within the normal range.
- However, food can change the pH value of your urine — though the effect is somewhat variable
Excreting acids in your urine is one of the main ways your body regulates its blood pH.
- If you eat a large steak, your urine will be more acidic several hours later as your body removes the metabolic waste from your system.
- Therefore, urine pH is a poor indicator of overall body pH and general health. It can also be influenced by factors other than your diet.
Source & Credits:
Alkaline diet benefits the body by modifying internal pH levels, lowering excess acidity, with healthy food sources highlighted in this feature.
This is a detailed review of the alkaline diet, including foods to eat and avoid and an in-depth look at the science behind it.