For anyone who is running low, or runs out, I would suggest saving the TP for the number 2 emissions and commision rewashable cloths, old tshirts, car washing cloths etc for pee. We have a huge stack of shammy type (softer) cloths that we use for car washing and if need be we will use those.

Please remember not to flush anything except toilet paper, even tissues should be put in a bag in a bin.

I have had numerous time over the years where I was on septic or had an outhouse and so putting toilet paper in a garbage bag is not a new experience for me.

Emma JC

My honey is going to love me even more in awhile because he doesn't know that the last time I went out, Friday, I bought him a bottle of scotch.

We have wine and I bought some beer earlier and so he has been having just two beer a night for the past three days. It will be fun to be the hero. lol

Emma JC

It’s likely I will run out of TP/LP but I have a good supply of dinner napkins and paper towels should the need arise. I think I have six rolls of toilet paper left.
Every time I see "LP" I miss my old records......

At me job the had a big box of cut up rags for free- like old tee shirts. Nobody wanted them and made jokes, but I'm glad I took a bunch! They were literally a box of rags for cleaning like they sell in bags 🙄 . Now I wish I'd taken more!

Really, anyone who ever dealt with diapers shouldn't be so adverse to using cut up cloths and washing them. Whether or not you have a bidet (which of course is best) most sinks are right next to the toilet/loo. I just thought about how sometimes it's not so "clean", so if that;s the case nevermind

Every time I see "LP" I miss my old records......

At me job the had a big box of cut up rags for free- like old tee shirts. Nobody wanted them and made jokes, but I'm glad I took a bunch! They were literally a box of rags for cleaning like they sell in bags 🙄 . Now I wish I'd taken more!

Really, anyone who ever dealt with diapers shouldn't be so adverse to using cut up cloths and washing them. Whether or not you have a bidet (which of course is best) most sinks are right next to the toilet/loo. I just thought about how sometimes it's not so "clean", so if that;s the case nevermind
Right? I mean do I want to have to do that? Of course not. But I’m not going to freak out over it. I mean, not saying I’m going to wash the other adults‘ rags, :lol: should it come to that. It’s bad enough I’ve become the designated toilet cleaner. I think it’s going to be just fine.

:???: I'd rather eat pinto beans (even if they're in tomato sauce, lol).
I decided that any time i visit a grocer (e.g. Okey mall), i'll be getting a can of green peas, of sweet corn, or smth similar. Or even pickles, like pattypan squash (pickled pattypan squash is delicious). I can't stock up on everything in one evening, even if i had enough money (but i haven't), because i don't have a car and i can't drag a heavy sack. But doing it gradually - why not.
Tonight i got 6 cans of red beans, 2 cans of corn and 2 cans of peas.
...I would like everyone to think of stocking up on raw beets. If stored properly, they can stay fresh for 3 months (if not so fresh, then edible at least). As soon as people on quarantine are always deprived of fresh veggies and fruit, - raw beets are an option: they're digested splendidly, they're an awesome source of vitamins, minerals etc., and they're sweet, juicy and tasty. Here's a link with some advice how to store raw beets.👇 (Turnips may also be helpful: at all times, russian peasants survived on turnips, as there were no tomatoes, eggplants cucumbers, etc. before). There also were no potatoes. But Russians did just fine.
OTOH, in ancient times, russians were harvesting amaranth! (It was forbidden since the times of tzar Peter the great,- it's an ancient conspiracy theory about the reason it was forbidden, but it's the naked truth, that russians used to thrive on amaranth, but later, even the memory about it was almost erased from the whole nation's mind). I'm glad it has come back. So, i would stock up on amaranth (i probably will). I had never heard about it until Sumerian gods told me (i believe they had a reason). It was long long ago, when vegan industry was not developed over here. I'm glad it's available now. (Haven't been to a vegetarian shop for a long time,- i should stock up on something specific, until Kolpino's vegans wipe out everything from the shelves, ğyyyyyy). I asked mom to buy me a couple packs of chickpea dumplings though (because this veggie shop is out of my way, as usual).
About beets:

My husband went to Spar (weirdly as he has never been in there before now :laughing:) last night and they had just stocked up on toilet roll as they were stacking the shelves. We have had a grocery delivery so I think we are okay now for everything for at least 2 weeks.

I just checked and we have enough cat litter for about 21 days so we are only going to change the tray every other day so that should be enough for a month and a half.

I think I will have one meal with a lot of fresh food, one freezer meal and one store cupboard meal each day to make sure we are eating everything equally.

I wish I thought to buy more pizza dough last week. I was craving pizza fritta so I bought the dough and made it. Now I’m thinking I could have frozen some for future use.

I braved going to Costco over the weekend. All the neighbors on Nextdoor are still freaking out about TP but there was tons of TP at Costco so 🤷‍♀️ ... I have more than enough for the next several weeks. I'm seriously considering switching to cloth wipes & a bidet, though. I'm honestly not sure why I didn't just do that after having cloth diapering my son for 2+ years 17 yrs ago.

Right now I don't have a fear of running out of food, but I am wanting to minimize the # of times I go out, so that's really the only reason I'm stocking up. I don't think there's going to be a food shortage, but going out to the stores less frequently is the main focus. The only things I'm "missing" right now are potatoes, Trader Joe's frozen falafels.

I managed to score some aloe vera gel and some travel tubes from Amazon and my son has a bunch of 99% isopropyl alcohol for repairing MacBook boards, so I'm going to make some hand sanitizer for us. (Though admittedly, honestly, I really just prefer to wash my hands. It's nice to have though for when you can't.)

I have to laugh when people say their afraid of their teeth rotting for drinking vinegar... When I was a kid I used to eat lemons ALL the time. I still do sometimes. Never had any problems associated with that. It's my belief that all of my tooth problems were acquired when I was eating meat - lots of it as a child - and lots of sugar. I've had no new problems with my teeth since I went pescatarian when I was 27.

...They closed the beaches yesterday. Saturday the weather was really nice and people came in from everywhere and I guess the main beach was crowded - people playing basketball 'n' stuff like business as usual. I walked down (to my beach) in the late afternoon to catch the last bit of the sunset and it seemed like everyone was "behaving." Pretty bummed it had to come to closing the beaches... This whole situation sucks. :(

hmmm even though I currently have no place to grow anything I am going to start saving seeds from the fresh food that I have and will eat over the next while - I may even order some from Amazon as this is a new and different world we are entering and being able to grow your own food may be important

I do have some broccoli seeds that I bought for growing sprouts that may come in handy. I have some bell peppers in the fridge and may save some of the onion tops of both regular and green onions and some of my garlic are already growing roots. My balcony faces northeast which limits greatly my growing ability and as we had snow fall today it doesn't appear that warm weather is going to help.

Is anyone else growing a garden or planting starters to put in place when the warmer weather arrives?

Emma JC

Reactions: Irene Adler and Val
hmmm even though I currently have no place to grow anything I am going to start saving seeds from the fresh food that I have and will eat over the next while - I may even order some from Amazon as this is a new and different world we are entering and being able to grow your own food may be important

I do have some broccoli seeds that I bought for growing sprouts that may come in handy. I have some bell peppers in the fridge and may save some of the onion tops of both regular and green onions and some of my garlic are already growing roots. My balcony faces northeast which limits greatly my growing ability and as we had snow fall today it doesn't appear that warm weather is going to help.

Is anyone else growing a garden or planting starters to put in place when the warmer weather arrives?

Emma JC
I usually spend a lot of time at the beach in the summer, so the only thing I grow is some basil in a pot on my deck since I travel back and forth a lot. But I might consider a small garden this year, especially if the beach does not open this year (it's a private beach with little cottages). I would grow tomatoes and maybe peppers. I don't really want to dig up my yard, so I might consider building a box garden. I've seen a few DIY videos on this, and it doesn't look too difficult. And it would save my back when I have to weed and pick. :D

Emma JC
I'm not growing starters (because i usually devour what i'm germinating at once), but it can easily be planted into soil, if needed.
Meanwhile, i grow small edible grass of different kinds in this thing👇. It's a hydroponic sprouter for seeds germination. It's a 4-module sprouter on these pictures, but i own a 2-module one.
It requires certain efforts, because you need to look after it every now and then, and you need to change water and to remove ooze from the walls of these containers (it's important!), but in a nutshell, it's cool, and even entertaining. It also has a tool for growing spring onions out of bulbs.
P.S. I also grow swiss chard on my window sill ocasionally (in the 6.5-liter pot), but now my big pot is empty. I need to try and plant it again (in case if we're going to be self-isolated),- moreover, i have seeds and 2 big bags of soil.
Hydroponic sprouting system "Zdorovya klad" ("The hoard of health"):
IMG_20200323_215257.jpg

IMG_20200323_215418.jpg

IMG_20200323_215443.jpg

IMG_20200323_220008.jpg

IMG_20200323_215950.jpg

Another one, available on russian market. Why am i showing you all this stuff? - There are a lot of varieties of sprouting systems all over the world, and you could get a similar one in order to always have fresh green grass to eat. But if you're deprived of an opportunity to buy it nowadays (if everything is closed),- it's possible to germinate seeds in mason jars, or smth similar. (Of course, hydroponic method is the fastest, and it allows to get crops in a very little time, but even if there is no any visible sprouts, a germinated seed becomes a 100 percent more beneficial and satieting). So, germinating is worth it anyway (it will boost your immune system,- this is the very least benefit you will get).😏
IMG_20200323_215924.png