my honey ordered a battery for our UPS and it came very quickly, much faster than they said it would

I had a few minutes out today at the grocery store and grabbed some bananas (3 bunches), some mushrooms and some cherry tomatoes and a carton of oat milk. I plan to make a trip again in a few days and do all the banking etc for the month at the same time. I forgot to check if they had toilet paper, silly me, but we still have lots.

Emma JC
ps hand sewing a mask is not a fun task, and it was annoying that no one else seemed to be wearing one

I made a quick stop at the produce market- I'm so happy with that store! It's the only place that seems unaffected
I got an organic cauliflower for a buck, I filled the whole rack of the oven with pieces (on cookie sheets :weird: )
A discounted organic celery for .50 cents
A bag of organic oranges $1.99. They taste great, but the membranes are super tough.
I found our grocery stores stopped running ads. That's a good thing! We don't need folks going out just for bargains 🙄

I’m trying not to go out at all. It’s be almost a week now, not counting dropping a letter off at the post office. It was super quick, in/out and I had wipes with me.

Son went to the grocery store today then together we disinfected all of the items, got rid of the bags/boxes and proceeded to wash our hands and clean all the doorknobs and everything we touched.

It’s probably overkill but it’s become routine so I’ll continue to wipe down everything that comes into the house going forward. My goal is to have enough where I won’t need to order/buy anything else after my last grocery delivery next week.

Emma JC
ps hand sewing a mask is not a fun task, and it was annoying that no one else seemed to be wearing one

Over here and in the UK, the advise is not to wear them unless one is a medical care worker or if working with the public i.e. supermarket check out staff etc.

“The average healthy person does not need to have a mask, and they shouldn’t be wearing masks,”

Dr. Perencevich said. “There’s no evidence that wearing masks on healthy people will protect them.
They wear them incorrectly, and they can increase the risk of infection because they’re touching their face more often.”

OMG, I over did it with the paper towels and toilet paper, lol. The tp rolls are gigantic...like the kind that would be in a public rest stop on a highway :lol: What was I thinking? That I was going to run out, apparently. I even ended up with the flat paper towels that go in the dispensers in public restrooms. 🤦

OMG, I over did it with the paper towels and toilet paper, lol. The tp rolls are gigantic...like the kind that would be in a public rest stop on a highway :lol: What was I thinking? That I was going to run out, apparently. I even ended up with the flat paper towels that go in the dispensers in public restrooms. 🤦
It's DEFINITELY better than nothing. Good job!👍😜

I have most of what I use in bulk already, just because that;s my style of cooking. . . have lots of grains, dried beans (which I then cook and freeze), spices, frozen fruit, frozen veggies, nuts, on hand. Then I buy fresh veggies as needed. That said, here's my list:

Bulk Items
  • white rice
  • brown rice
  • quinoa
  • rolled oats
  • pasta
  • flour (mostly white, but some whole wheat)
  • sugar
  • gluten flour (for making seitan)
  • nutritional yeast
  • smaller amounts of random things for variety: wild rice, bulgar, wheat berries, etc
  • dried beans (mostly chickpeas, red and white kidney, black, pinto)
  • spices (I always have lots of almost everything)
  • cashews, slivered almonds, roasted peanuts, maybe some walnuts or pecans

Canned/boxed goods:
  • tomato paste
  • crushed tomatoes
  • diced tomatoes
  • coconut milk
  • soups
  • peanut butter, cashew butter
  • tetra packs of self-stable soy milk
  • oils (olive, canola, coconut, sesame)
  • vinegars (red wine, white wine, apple cider, rice, plum, regular white)
  • cereal, boxes of Scottish Oats
  • coffee
  • basic baking items (baking soda, baking powder, salt, active yeast, cornstarch)
Frozen:
  • fruits/berries (strawberries, raspberries, peaches, mango)
  • bananas (I already have a bunch frozen, since I like to buy lots at once and freeze the extra)
  • veggies (corn, peas, edamame)
  • excess veg from the garden (celery, zucchini, tomatoes)
  • juice from concentrate
  • bread, bagels, etc
Keep cool, not frozen::
  • condiments like dijon mustard, soy sauce
  • veg/fruit that keep a long time: butternut squash, onions, potatoes, apples, carrots, parsnip, beets)

I probably forgot some things, but that's what I typically have on hand. I'm a bit of a hoarder/collector when it comes to food, which has come in really handy since COVID-19 hit. For example, when the flour disappeared from all the stores, I had a huge bag downstairs already!

For other fresh veg, I grow tomatoes and such every summer already. This year I'm putting together a list of things we eat often so I can plant as much as I can. Our stores are still open of course, but it's such a pain in the *** to go there just because we need more parsley or whatever else.

ETA: I've had a "be apocalypse ready" mindset for years now. It's partly why I started gardening!

I would have been fine if I were still in my home. We didn’t bring everything with us because we knew we wouldn’t be here more than 2-3 months. And of course we had no idea about covid 19 wreaking havoc the way it is.

Over here and in the UK, the advise is not to wear them unless one is a medical care worker or if working with the public i.e. supermarket check out staff etc.

“The average healthy person does not need to have a mask, and they shouldn’t be wearing masks,”

Dr. Perencevich said. “There’s no evidence that wearing masks on healthy people will protect them.
They wear them incorrectly, and they can increase the risk of infection because they’re touching their face more often.”

The USA is changing their opinion

Canada has not taken a position as yet.
EDIT: they have a suggestion now

Emma JC

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Irene Adler and Val
I'm going to start wearing a mask when around people. At work it reminds people to take things seriously. It drives me nuts that people will keep distance, but right when they walk right by you, feel the need to say hello. Just smile and nod, or wave. I will be happy if this stops people from hand shaking, and hugging platonically.
I did find an old dust mask and wore it last time I was at a store. I'm going to see if I can sew one to fit better

I shouldn't need anything for at least another week. I'll only go to Aldi and the produce market now, and the Asian store if I need tofu

It’s interesting because I’m pretty sure when this virus started it was believed that it was more of a contact virus rather than an inhaled one and now everything I’m reading is saying the reverse. I guess that can happen as they learn more and more about it. If this is the case I would think a mask would be in order. If we go ahead with the closing I wonder if we will be wearing masks.

It’s interesting because I’m pretty sure when this virus started it was believed that it was more of a contact virus rather than an inhaled one and now everything I’m reading is saying the reverse. I guess that can happen as they learn more and more about it. If this is the case I would think a mask would be in order. If we go ahead with the closing I wonder if we will be wearing masks.

Perhaps this can help :

• Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing.
    Why? When someone coughs or sneezes they spray small liquid droplets from their nose or mouth which may contain virus. If you are too close, you can breathe in the droplets, including the COVID-19 virus if the person coughing has the disease.
  • Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
    Why? Hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once contaminated, hands can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick.
  • Make sure you, and the people around you, follow good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze. Then dispose of the used tissue immediately.
    Why? Droplets spread virus. By following good respiratory hygiene you protect the people around you from viruses such as cold, flu and COVID-19.

Q&A on coronaviruses (COVID-19)

Reactions: Emma JC
this is a long list - basically my grocery list just all bunched together as I will try not to buy anything that I don't use regularly

toilet paper
paper towels
toothpaste
shampoo
soap
garbage bags

I only have a fridge w/freezer full size, no separate freezer.

fresh

onions - 10 lbs yellow 5x red onion
potatoes - 20 lbs
sweet potatoes - 10 lbs
carrots - 10 lbs
zucchini - 4
mushrooms - not sure of the weight but about 4 paper bags worth
garlic - loads and loads...
apples - dozen
celery - 3 bunches
green onions - 2 dozen
bell pepper - 4
jalapeno - one dozen
arugula - one small container
kale - 2 bunches
cabbage - 2
baby bok choy - 2 packages
parsnips - 5 pounds
turnip and/or rutabage - 2
bananas - 5 dozen (refrigerate most, freeze some)
pita whole grain - 5 packs of 5
whole grain tortilla - 5 packs of 6
sprouted bread - 3 loaves frozen
oranges - 6, zest then slice and freeze the zest and the slices
lemons - 3, zest then slice and freeze the zest and the slices
medjool dates - 4 pounds
raisins - 4 pounds
cranberries, dried - 2 pounds
tofu - one silken, 3 x firm
tempeh - 4 x facon, 4 x block
cheeze shreds - 2 packs each mozz and cheddar

frozen

cranberries - 2 packages
wild blueberries (Canadian) - 3 packages
sweet peas - 2 packages
brussel sprouts - 3 packages
kale - 2 packages
mixed berries - 2 x 4 pound packages
corn - 2 packages
pineapple - 1 package
mango - 1 package
Field Roast sausage - 2 each apple/sage, italian, chipotle (packs of 4)
perogies - 2 packages
Gardein hamburger - 2 packages

grocery

4 dozen canned soda water, some with lemon
Soy curls - 3 packages
dill pickles
lemon juice - 2 large bottles
lime juice - 2 small bottles
maple syrup - 3 x 500 ml bottles
extra 2 bottles each of tamari, mustard, rice vinegar, hot sauces etc
tahini - 2 jars
peanut butter - 2 extra jars
peanut butter powder - 2 jars
veggie stock powdered - 2 extra
jam - 2 jars
cans of beans (black, kidney), lentils, chick peas, breakfast beans refried beans - at least one dozen of each
spaghetti sauce - 6 cans/jar
olives - 12 jars
canned tomatoes - 6 cans each whole and diced
canned corn - 6 cans
apple cider vinegar - 1 extra large container
white vinegar - 1 extra large container
noodles - a dozen packages of a variety of types
pasta - LOTS
pasta sauce - 12 cans
tomato sauce - 6 cans
tomato paste - 6 small cans
pizza sauce - 12 small cans
cereal - extra 3 or 4 packages as we use them for snacks
flour - 10 pounds whole wheat, 10 pounds regular
rolled oats - 10 pounds
steel cut oats - 10 pounds
sugar - one extra package as rarely use
nutritional yeast - very very very large bag (hopefully make a deal with the bulk store)
spices - lots of extra of all we use regularly
nuts - walnuts, cashews (raw and roasted), peanuts, maybe a pound of each
rice - 3 x 10 pounds bags
olive oil - 2 litres
salsa - 4 jars
dry lentils, pinto beans, northern beans, navy beans - 5 pounds each
coffee - 3 large cans
chocolate - 2 large dark chocolate bars

dry fruits and vegetables
(I went today to my local bulk store and they have all of these so I will only consider buying a small amount of each as I don't use all of them regularly and so they would mostly be for if all the fresh and frozen run out)

a variety of dried onions, chives, garlic powder/chunks, sun dried tomatoes, carrots/bell peppers etc again bulk store
a variety of fruit, dates, prunes, apricots, strawberries, blueberries

wine - 4 x 4 litre boxes
scotch for my honey - amount to be determined

junk food

a few bags of chips and pre-popped popcorn just for fun and crunch

This is for two people and it seems like a lot, and I know that much of it will last longer than two months and that's okay as it is all part of our regular buying list. I wish I had the energy to add up all the calories and divide by 60 days.... to see how many calories per day per person this is. I will not buy from one of the 'emergency' websites as none of them are vegan and most are a much higher cost per pound.

If I was really doing this properly I would make a meal plan for two months and then truly know how much food we would need.

Our regular grocery bill (not including wine and scotch) per week averages $130 and he doesn't eat breakfast or lunch at home on weekdays, most of the time. So if I looked at cost alone the list above shouldn't come to more than 8.5 x 130 = $1,105 Canadian dollar if it only was to last for 2 months

- huh, interesting, I just did a quick addition and the above list adds up to almost that amount, maybe a few dollars over when I add in the junk food.

So my plan is to pick up a few of these things everytime I shop over the next few weeks and will also work out a deal with the bulk store too. My local grocery store also has a bulk section with lots of interesting dried options so will price compare too.

I always keep a fair amount of water on hand, some for toilet flushing etc and lots of drinking water and do also have an emergency kit that has small propane bottles and a small cooker for it and I can see one of the Great Lakes so hopefully I will have enough water. Our high rise holds the heat so well that I haven't even turned on the furnace once this year and it doesn't drop below 23 degrees C which is 73 degrees F.

Ah yes, some extra batteries are also a good idea.

Thanks for participating in this exercise - I have found it extremely helpful and look forward to seeing more items others will stock.

Emma JC

ps thank you @KLS52 I forgot Oat Milk - at least 6 cartons
You seems a store manager my dear... Lol😜😂😂😂
But that's really helpful 👍

Reactions: Emma JC
You seems a store manager my dear... Lol😜😂😂😂
But that's really helpful 👍

Thank you! it has given me peace of mind to know that we will be okay for a while.

I have stored all the dry goods in various tubs and kept an inventory in a notebook so that I know what I have and where it is.

As I am using up items, I add them to my grocery list and next week will venture back out to restock. I did buy a few bananas etc this week ($15 worth of food) as I just did a quick in and out of the store.

Emma JC

It’s probably overkill but .....

Many years ago, long before coronavirus, my wife asked a pathologist what special hygiene precautions he took on leaving the mortuary. He said that he always cleaned out his nasal passages with cotton buds and hot soapy water.

If you really want to go into overkill you can use a clinical disinfectant such as TCP instead of the water. But beware: The smell may result in your partner refusing to share your bed with you. :)

Roger.

We are down to our last three slices of bread. :cry:

I guess now is a good time to try making the pitas that I saw on facebook. They look really good and are pretty simple to make. I might do another beer bread, savory this time, if the boys left me a can of beer, that is. I saw something that said you can use any type of bubbling beverage. Maybe I should get a couple of bottles of seltzer, especially if I want the bread to be fairly plain and not flavorful.