We are down to our last three slices of bread. :cry:

I guess now is a good time to try making the pitas that I saw on facebook. They look really good and are pretty simple to make. I might do another beer bread, savory this time, if the boys left me a can of beer, that is. I saw something that said you can use any type of bubbling beverage. Maybe I should get a couple of bottles of seltzer, especially if I want the bread to be fairly plain and not flavorful.

Why don't you make a soda loaf ?

Why don't you make a soda loaf ?
Is that similar to the beer/seltzer bread? Or are you talking baking soda? I don’t have any carbonated beverages on hand but I do have baking soda...

Ohhhh...I just googled...you mean like Irish Soday Bread?

I’m looking for something that would work with sandwiches. I’m not really a fan of soda bread. I would actually prefer making the pitas.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas and Val
Ohhhh...I just googled...you mean like Irish Soday Bread?

I’m looking for something that would work with sandwiches. I’m not really a fan of soda bread. I would actually prefer making the pitas.

That's right. We just call it soda bread. ;)

Reactions: Val
We are down to our last three slices of bread. :cry:

I guess now is a good time to try making the pitas that I saw on facebook. They look really good and are pretty simple to make. I might do another beer bread, savory this time, if the boys left me a can of beer, that is. I saw something that said you can use any type of bubbling beverage. Maybe I should get a couple of bottles of seltzer, especially if I want the bread to be fairly plain and not flavorful.
I was at Aldi yesterday with their sourdough on my list. Completely out! Same with the big round Italian they usually have. They had all their other breads, like the sprouted ones, but we loved that sourdough!
I made pretzel bagels and one small loaf as just bread.
I've tried following pita recipes and never get a good enough pocket.
I find foccacia is the most forgiving bread.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
I was at Aldi yesterday with their sourdough on my list. Completely out! Same with the big round Italian they usually have. They had all their other breads, like the sprouted ones, but we loved that sourdough!
I made pretzel bagels and one small loaf as just bread.
I've tried following pita recipes and never get a good enough pocket.
I find foccacia is the most forgiving bread.
I actually prefer pocketless pitas...like the ones I get at the Greek restaurant when I get hummus...and that’s what I’m hoping for with this particular recipe. I hope I’m not disappointed.

At this point, I would take any kind of bread if I could get a delivery at home. But since that’s not happening for a few days I’m going to try my hand at this.

Well if I haven’t been torture enough, I’m trying instacart again but with a different store. I have a Friday delivery date. We shall see, we shall see.
Your son doesn't go out either?
I have to admit, I don't think anyone other than those who've had exposure to someone with the virus is spending 14 full days of quarantine
I'm just trying to distance, wear a mask, hygiene, and sticking to stores that are small and I know how to manuever quickly.
Working as usual I guess I have a different perspective. No ones gotten tested for it, many have been sick

• Friendly
Your son doesn't go out either?
I have to admit, I don't think anyone other than those who've had exposure to someone with the virus is spending 14 full days of quarantine
I'm just trying to distance, wear a mask, hygiene, and sticking to stores that are small and I know how to manuever quickly.
Working as usual I guess I have a different perspective. No ones gotten tested for it, many have been sick
He’s trying not to. Technically he could get infected and pass it to us. I’m not so worried about myself. I’m pretty healthy. I feel like I can fight it. And I’m still not convinced I didn’t have it the week of March 20. Husband is healthy too but he has an aortic aneurysm that’s being monitored. And he’s a few years older, 72. So I don’t want him getting sick.

But then there are stories of people who are 99 and 101 who have beat it! That’s so amazing. So it’s not just an age thing. It must have to do with overall health and a little bit of luck I suppose.

What makes me angry are the stories of people in their 40’s who are sick and being turned away from the hospitals to tough it out at home and then they end up dying. It’s like they won’t take you in the hospital until it’s almost too late, at least for some. It’s horrible. :(

so I went shopping today.... man, it sucks out there - I would really rather stay home and will do so for a long time after tomorrow

went to the bulk store and managed to get yeast and nooch and other things I wanted, no all purpose flour did get some whole wheat, and found SEEDS there so bought a bunch

then to the bank which was weird

then to the grocery store - OMG it was fine but seemed nightmarish - lots and lots of produce available but when you get into the dry goods there are a lot of holes, just 10 cans of chick peas were left and a few kidney beans....

guess what.... what? we are getting a small freezer tomorrow - I tried all day yesterday to get one through Walmart and although they showed available at check out they said "out of stock" - tried first thing this morning and was able to get a 3.4 cu ft one for $169 plus taxes - we can pick it up tomorrow at Walmart.... challenge is that there is not a lot of frozen stuff available to buy... I checked today and there were no berries at all and very few veggies - hopefully there is more coming because once I get back from picking it up and going for the frozen items I really don't wish to go out again for a while

I wore a mask and gloves, most people didn't - it was too hot in the bank and the stores, the line up to get out was the length of the store and it moved quickly thankfully.

Emma JC

I know I sound like a broken record, but I don’t like not being in my house, lol. I had a small chest freezer and it was great to have. We have no real storage space here for refrigerated/frozen items. I ended up giving the chest freezer to my daughter when we moved so at least it’s being put to good use.

I’m thinking that, if/when we get to the new house, I may get a new refrigerator because the one that is there is on the small side. I will keep the old one and put it in the basement for extra refrigerated/freezer space. That’s the plan anyway. We shall see once we’re settled in and all of the other stuff is done that needs taken care of.

I got my Peapod order. Woo hoo! I received 2/3 of that I asked for. No Silk creamer though. Darn! But I did get two bags of skinny pop and earth balance cheese puffs! 😁

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
We are not in a "hot zone", so I'm still going to stores once a week or so. The worst place I went to this week was stupid Petco. No sanitized carts, no wipes, no employees with masks. I bought two cans of dog food since we no longer need to be on Hills prescription ID and of course the remaining dogs loved it. So now I have to go back tomorrow and restock. It's scary.

I have 5 cases of ID canned and at least two bags of dry to donate, which I will this week.

I am going to get my husband to get a few more things tomorrow. We keep running out of kitchen roll! I need shower gel too or I might get him to buy soap instead as that lasts longer.

yahoo, home for the long term now

Walmart really stepped up with the freezer, ordered it Tuesday, picked it up at the back of the store yesterday afternoon and had it aired out, washed out and up and running by evening.

Did my last grocery run today to fill it up and found it so stressful that I can barely remember what I bought. The only frozen berries left were cultivated blueberries so I snarfed them. Lots of frozen veggies, some Gardein altho' the pickings were slim. Three bunches of bananas, the third last bag of rice, more noodles, sriracha, ice cream (the freezer asked for it, hehe), tomatoes, jalapenoes, and some more ziploc bags and containers. I have a lot of onions and garlic and green beans that I intend to freeze and now when I make soups and chilis I can easily store the extra although the freezer is getting pretty full already.

I had to wait in line outside (it was very cold and windy and thankfully sunny) for about 15 minutes and then about the same amount of time in line to check out. Most people are still not wearing masks or gloves and yet there were more than last week.

I do not intend to go out for 3-4 weeks now, other than garbage and if we get really crazy, a walk.....

Emma JC

On my last grocery trip I took my huge hiking backpack:

3 cartons of local extra-firm tofu
a huge carton of pre-washed mixed salad greens
fresh apples, tangerines and bananas
frozen peas
jar of peanut butter
bottle of agave syrup
a huge bag of pre-mixed muesli
2 large cartons of cashew yogurt
1 carton of coconut milk
2 packages of Field Roast vegan sausages
2 loaves of bread
1 jar Vegenaise
1 jar dill pickles (this and the Vegenaise were my two heavy glass jar "splurges")
a bag of Yerba Mate loose grounds
huge Asian bag of rice
4 pkg veg instant ramen
1 onion
Assorted lemons, limes and fresh ginger
Not Beef and Not Chkn bouillon
1 small container red pepper hummus
1 Miyokos Roadhouse cheddah
local vegan bakery chocolate chip cookies
vegan korean bbq "rinds" and vegan nacho chips
a normal 4-roll package of recycled toilet paper
1 over-the-counter painkiller/fever reducer
1 generic package benedryl-type antihistamine
2 bars hippie hand/body soap
1 container hippie laundry soap

Most of this was in light paper or plastic packaging, or no packaging at all, so I was able to hike a mile with my full backpack and a grocery bag in each hand, with rest stops. This was definitely over my normal hiking limit, but I made it home and rested up the next day. This was seven days ago, and I am still good for maybe another seven, since I already had previously stocked up on things like nuts, dried fruit, canned beans and canned soups, dried beans and lentils, oats, hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, salad dressings, multi-vitamins, shampoo, teas, and sundry dried goods that store well.

I probably could make it another two weeks or longer, realistically if I absolutely had to, if I were to eat nothing but beans and rice for a week of it. But I will want more fresh food by next week. I have considered ordering from Vegan Essentials so I don't have to go out, but they don't deliver produce. I refuse to order food someone else cooked, as I am even avoiding two of my own roommates due to their crazy extroverted ways. I am in super-lockdown. My reasoning is I won't get anyone else sick if I don't get sick, and if I am exposed to as few germs as possible, I will get less ill if I do. People with multiple, messy exposures are at greater risk for more severe complications. I managed cloth masks for myself, and managed to set up a mini-kitchen with a rice cooker and hot pot in my bedroom (which is large enough to be comfortable with this set-up). I had to do this, lest I start spraying Mrs. Myers cleaner in my roommates faces to keep them and their friends away from me.

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I do not intend to go out for 3-4 weeks now, other than garbage and if we get really crazy, a walk.....

Emma JC

You're not taking walks? Do you live in a high population density urban area? I feel safer taking walks in the woods than being in the kitchen with my roommates. The virus is killed by the UV rays of sunlight, and most strangers will keep their distance from you on the street (unless you live in NYC or something, I understand I am in a less dense semi-rural area). Getting fresh air, sun, and a change of scene can be beneficial to your health. It's actually being in small cramped spaces with potentially infected people with no symptoms that is the fear. My living room windows have been wide open for three days (our living room is upstairs) in hopes I never accidentally walk into stale contaminated air on my once-daily sneaky trip to the kitchen to wash dishes and grab the next day's supplies.

I am avoiding the "town" and shopping centers, and being inside the kitchen with my roommates at the same time, but I think taking a walk is far from crazy, it can be really helpful.

I simply must discover what hippie soap is. I must know.

Is it like Have'A Corn Chips, made with joy, love, and light?

View attachment 20478

Lol ...we have those here. I don't buy soap that has phosphates and international ad campaigns. My soap smells like sandalwood or roses and comes in little paper wrappers. Occasionally I'll buy an artisan joke soap in a gift shop, but I haven't used Dial or Irish Spring since I was in high school. I know Dove went cruelty-free recently (vegan club celebrated it by giving out free Dove products on campus) but I still prefer the smaller companies. Dr. Bronner's is as big as I go. The laundry soap is things like oxgenated cleansers mixed with baking soda and vinegar or something. It keeps trash chemicals out of the water supply, which leads to oceanic dead zones.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
Lol ...we have those here. I don't buy soap that has phosphates and international ad campaigns. My soap smells like sandalwood or roses and comes in little paper wrappers. Occasionally I'll buy an artisan joke soap in a gift shop, but I haven't used Dial or Irish Spring since I was in high school. I know Dove went cruelty-free recently (vegan club celebrated it by giving out free Dove products on campus) but I still prefer the smaller companies. Dr. Bronner's is as big as I go. The laundry soap is things like oxgenated cleansers mixed with baking soda and vinegar or something. It keeps trash chemicals out of the water supply, which leads to oceanic dead zones.

When I first became vegan, I started using the "Kiss My Face" olive oil soap brand at Trader Joe's. That stuff mega-natural, but it forms this ever-present layer of soap glop on the outside. What a mess! My wife is a great bargain-hunter, and she always finds some good vegan soap.