When I first became vegan, I started using the "Kiss My Face" olive oil soap brand at Trader Joe's. That stuff mega-natural, but it forms this ever-present layer of soap glop on the outside. What a mess! My wife is a great bargain-hunter, and she always finds some good vegan soap.

Ah yes, I remember buying the patchouli scented Kiss My Face shower gel when I lived in LA. Never had a problem with it, it smelled nice, but it's cheaper to get bars of soap at the co-op. There's also less packaging, unless I buy a bottle of Dr. Bronner's, which I sometimes do to take camping or wash clothes in the sink. I like the green label almond scent. We have local artisan soaps here, too, like fancy Lush-style soaps you bring your own wrapper for, with pieces of flowers or fruit peels inside, or made of charcoal, but I skip those except for special occasions. My local shops are a virtual heaven for people who hate corporate America.

Reactions: Emma JC and David3
You're not taking walks? Do you live in a high population density urban area? I feel safer taking walks in the woods than being in the kitchen with my roommates. The virus is killed by the UV rays of sunlight, and most strangers will keep their distance from you on the street (unless you live in NYC or something, I understand I am in a less dense semi-rural area). Getting fresh air, sun, and a change of scene can be beneficial to your health. It's actually being in small cramped spaces with potentially infected people with no symptoms that is the fear. My living room windows have been wide open for three days (our living room is upstairs) in hopes I never accidentally walk into stale contaminated air on my once-daily sneaky trip to the kitchen to wash dishes and grab the next day's supplies.

I am avoiding the "town" and shopping centers, and being inside the kitchen with my roommates at the same time, but I think taking a walk is far from crazy, it can be really helpful.

yes, we live on the tenth floor of a large building in a large complex - so everytime you go out you are exposed to the elevator, the lobby etc

once outside there is plenty of room for walking and it is just not something that we do regularly, I have a mini trampoline and so do jog on that, we also have a balcony so get plenty of fresh air there and have windows open altho' not today as it is COLD

welcome back, btw Emma JC

I was just at Aldi and did not buy more dried beans
I was so focused on my list of needs I didn't think about having just used up black, pinto and white beans. I'm down to my least favorites

I am missing all my vegan luxury items, well, not even luxury, things like tofu and vegan cheese. It's typical as I was going to go into central London to go into Whole Foods before this happened to buy some new things and I didn't! I can't wait to go to Holland & Barrett as well.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
I had planned to stay away from the grocery stores for a few more weeks, but then that story about the pork processing plant closing because so many workers got sick got me thinking that the next issue will be supply chain interruptions in all kinds of foods. I sound like such an alarmist, and I'm really not usually like that. So I went to Aldi and one other store to stock up on some staples. I tried to get out of there as fast as I could, as some people were not practicing social distancing. It kind of stressed me out, honestly. I did treat myself to some vegan cheese, tortilla chips and pretzels. I will save the crunchy snacks for much later.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I also went to Aldi-the larger one by my work. Not at all crowded, and people were really, really of keeping space! Aldi has always been a store for well mannered, nice people.
I bought so much. I now have all the beans I could want, snacks, passionfruit Vie soda (been curious), sourdough bread, meatless balls, lots of frozen broccoli and both kinds of spinach, marinara, hummus. Stuff my son requested
They still dont' have the green enchilada sauce :mad:. Not the same without it

Ohhhhhhh... I got their instant coffee to make Delgado coffee. It was really good! You do need instant, I think Aldi was under $3, they had Necafe but it was a dark roast and more. Anyway, if you have instant this is so cool to make. It changes color as it thickens to a thick sticky like mass you spoon over non dairy milk.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Well, I guess its time to resuscitate this thread.

Ukraine is a major grain producer. The grain supply in the North America may not be affected although Lower supply and a higher demand will probably see a price increase. But they are saying that there will be grain shortages in many other countries - especially Europe.

Maybe a bit of a silver lining. Since grain is a major component in animal feed the price of meat and dairy will probably increase too. however don't forget than many of our alternative products are made from grains, too.

Reactions: Emma JC
Well, I guess its time to resuscitate this thread.

Ukraine is a major grain producer. The grain supply in the North America may not be affected although Lower supply and a higher demand will probably see a price increase. But they are saying that there will be grain shortages in many other countries - especially Europe.

Maybe a bit of a silver lining. Since grain is a major component in animal feed the price of meat and dairy will probably increase too. however don't forget than many of our alternative products are made from grains, too.
You are so right! I can't believe how much is out of stock, or in and out of stock. Aldi hasn't had meatless balls for sooooo long, or chik'n tenders, or many frozen things including veggies.
The wheat shortage is disturbing. I love my seitan! The cheapest vwg I always bought, Anthonys, went from $15 to $19 for a 4 lb bag in the last 6 months.
Hope soy stays stable!

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Ukraine supplies a lot of wheat and sunflower.
so wheat and everything that is made from it and sunflower seeds and oil will be in short supply this year.

Peas, soy, and corn should be ok.

Reactions: Emma JC
Within the last month I submitted a bulk order for sunflower kernels at my local health food store. They're in, and I'll be picking them up tomorrow. I did it mostly for convenience (won't have to make so many trips to the store), but I'll get a 10% discount too.

Many of my staples- rolled oats, dry beans, sunflower seeds or peanuts- store quite well, especially in the refrigerator.

@David3 Oh, it's OK- my bunker has a fridge (and a generator to keep it running). The seeds won't spoil. :D

Seriously, in my experience, there is a potential problem with having a relatively large quantity of certain foods: Indian Meal Moths. One reason I'm ordering this way is that if I buy a smaller quantity from this store's "bulk bin", I'm more likely to get a few moth larvae in my purchase. When they're ready to pupate and become adult moths, they crawl off someplace to hide and do that (because if they spin their cocoon near where their friends/relatives are still eating and growing, they might just get eaten in their sleep: IMM larvae are cannibalistic. Isn't that just CHARMING??!!! ):yuck: And the ones who don't get eaten wind up flying around my house until they all die of old age.

If I buy a whole, intact bag, and there aren't any pests in my house already (there aren't), the problem is avoided. This store has a large, walk-in refrigerator where they store things that aren't out on the main floor for purchase, and it's much less likely that I'll bring home any Hannibal-Lechter-esque freeloaders.

When I talk of stocking up I don't mean to hoard!
I did just pick up 5 pounds of organic oat groats, which is more than I ever bought. Really good deal on them and I eat them 5 days a week for breakfast, and some get ground for oat flour.
I wonder if you can sprout them?
I also got 3 pounds of Soy Curls and raw cashews
As many beans as I go through I haven't had need to stock up as Aldi is the cheapest place for them, and I'm there weekly

I lugged my 25 lbs of raw organic sunflower kernels home after my eye doctor was done with my checkup. I looked the sales slip over, and got more of a discount than I had expected, although I'm sure the store benefitted from the sale too. When I got home I ate two big handfuls of them! But now I'm almost out of rolled oats, and I've been out of brown rice for some time now.

I tend to “hoard” cat food. I can survive if I have to do without something but I worry when I try to order cat food and much of it is out of stock. I’m lucky that my cats aren’t too fussy…except for Stella. I like to keep dry food to a minimum but she’s very fussy about wet food. So when the canned food is available I buy a second case. And I keep 1-2 extra bags of dry because they will all eat that if that’s all there is.. It’s hard when I have to buy something different because they end up getting sick if I change too quickly. So I have to make sure I have enough of the usual food so I can mix it with the new stuff.

Last edited:
@KLS52 I don't know why, but at the local supermarket where I do most of my shopping, the aisle where the pet food is shelved has almost empty for the past few weeks. Even though I have no animals in my care at the moment, I couldn't help noticing it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
@KLS52 I don't know why, but at the local supermarket where I do most of my shopping, the aisle where the pet food is shelved has almost empty for the past few weeks. Even though I have no animals in my care at the moment, I couldn't help noticing it.
Initially I heard it was a transportation/distribution issue but then someone said it was a tin can production problem…which if that was the case, why just cat food and not other canned foods?

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.

Lots of reasons for shortage

Natural pet food manufacturer Freshpet has reported manufacturing shutdowns due to severe winter storms. Other companies are running into problems with labor, machinery and packaging.

"There's so much that goes into making a product, and if there's a break in any part of that process, it causes a problem,” Anthony says. “Increased demand doesn't help, either."

PetSmart attributes its shortages of wet food, both in stores and online, to people adding pets to their families throughout the pandemic.

Shortages will keep happening at any time. I try now storing up on things I use more. That has to exclude the things that are more perishable, I never get more than ten pounds of potatoes that I will have at any time, one potato at a time until I had all I get from that. If potatoes are no longer available when I run out I will necessarily go without potatoes then. I get cans of greens, mostly spinach, and of vegetable soups, and of lentils. I have dry lentils and dry beans too. And I am building up my store of whole grain pasta and hot cereal (oatmeal) and cold cereal (raisin bran). And I have more of dried fruit, green tea, and Complete Cookies to have later. I get bottles of water.and

I try and stock up on foods in my normal eating days for a small example .
Spuds from the garden,frozen chips,and instant mashed potatoes.
Cash 💰 NZ just got hit by a weather event it took out the power and the wifi in a lot of communities and the money machines are still down .
I keep limited frozen foods .I get annoyed when I have a rush to the head and purchase bulk food and and it date’s out on me.