For anyone who is running low, or runs out, I would suggest saving the TP for the number 2 emissions and commision rewashable cloths, old tshirts, car washing cloths etc for pee. We have a huge stack of shammy type (softer) cloths that we use for car washing and if need be we will use those.

Please remember not to flush anything except toilet paper, even tissues should be put in a bag in a bin.

I have had numerous time over the years where I was on septic or had an outhouse and so putting toilet paper in a garbage bag is not a new experience for me.

Emma JC
A town next to mine was already having trouble with the sewer system because people are flushing tissue, paper towels and disinfectant wipes. Nothing but TP, people. :D

I cannot believe how much food we get through! I knew I ate a lot but my husband does too.:grinning:

I used to go out to the local shops probably every other day and pick a few things up each time.

I am going to make sure I always have a full store cupboard after this situation ends. My store cupboard was pretty good at the point when I had to stay indoors but I am going through the food very quickly. I am using my last carton of passata today and I only have a small amount of brown rice left.

Today I am making homemade tomato and spinach soup and a chickpea and carrot curry later. I'm using couscous instead of rice for the curry as I have a lot of that!

So many people are saying the same thing on FB about how much they are cooking and how much they hate it lol.
At the risk of repeating myself, most of my pantry was packed up and sent to storage. I thought I would be able to run out frequently for groceries as needed. Well we all see how that turned out.

Last edited:
I forgot I have couscous--I've never made it before! :shrug: , I think those box mixes. It would go well with the seitan I made

People sure are doing home repair projects around here! Lots of carpet, drywall, junk on the tree lawns for garbage!

So many people are saying the same thing on FB about how much they are cooking and how much they hate it lol.
At the risk of repeating myself, most of my pantry was packed up and sent to storage. I thought I would be able to run out frequently for groceries as needed. Well we all see how that turned out.
My friend's brother was complaining about having to cook so much, as he is used to eating out or doing takeout. He's in NYC and a lot of places are closing down now, so he has to cook for himself, his wife (who is a doc and works a lot of hours) and their son.

I managed to find some toilet paper the other day. Yay! But now that we are in it for an additional 30 days, people are starting to hoard again and supplies are running out. It seemed to be easing up a bit for the last week. So of course I end up buying into it. I tried to place another chewy order and had to go with some canned food that I don’t usually buy. All of my go to brand was gone. I also was able to get another large bag of the prescription dry. So kitties will be ok.

I managed to get an order in for shop rite through instacart for Saturday delivery. I have another Peapod delivery scheduled April 8. I’m hoping I can delete some of the items in the later delivery but I won’t know until I get the stuff on Saturday. It’s not likely that everything I ordered will come. I didn’t go crazy...just wanted another loaf of bread, potatoes, still trying for tofu, some canned veggies, pasta.

It’s hard to sit by and let everyone else grab all of the stock. Then when you try to get something it’s unavailable. I’m really not liking this at all. Maybe I should venture out in the early morning when they have the special hours for senior citizens.

I managed to find some toilet paper the other day. Yay! But now that we are in it for an additional 30 days, people are starting to hoard again and supplies are running out. It seemed to be easing up a bit for the last week. So of course I end up buying into it. I tried to place another chewy order and had to go with some canned food that I don’t usually buy. All of my go to brand was gone. I also was able to get another large bag of the prescription dry. So kitties will be ok.

I managed to get an order in for shop rite through instacart for Saturday delivery. I have another Peapod delivery scheduled April 8. I’m hoping I can delete some of the items in the later delivery but I won’t know until I get the stuff on Saturday. It’s not likely that everything I ordered will come. I didn’t go crazy...just wanted another loaf of bread, potatoes, still trying for tofu, some canned veggies, pasta.

It’s hard to sit by and let everyone else grab all of the stock. Then when you try to get something it’s unavailable. I’m really not liking this at all. Maybe I should venture out in the early morning when they have the special hours for senior citizens.
You really should go early- not like you sleep in :smile:
I think we're good for another week for most stuff, and I can go to the produce market for more fruits, which I really need/want. That place doesn't seem affected at all
Our schools are closed till May1 for now, but I'm not sure if the closings were extended. They certainly should be.
I've been adding fresh ginger to teas, and would like more.The small Asian market is another store I feel fine going to

Maybe I should venture out in the early morning when they have the special hours for senior citizens.
We have these hours too over here! I'm not sure about all grocery-store chains, but "Fives" and "Magnet" certainly provide special time for seniors (early in the morning), because everything inside is relatively clean yet, and because seniors tend to get up earlier than "younger generations".🙂

Hello all

In UK, we have an hour for elderly and vulnerable on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (9-10am), and another hour for NHS staff and carers on Sunday (9-10am) which people are largely sticking too. Apparently younger people are being turned away by staff and young people were bringing their elderly relations to get into the shop (although to be fair, they could be trying to assist them - only one person allowed). They stock up the shelves at these times....

Here you can order groceries online. They drop the food on your doostep. That's brilliant. No human contact needed! It costs 10 euros extra, but taken everything into consideration, I don't care.

Hello again!

I spotted this on my meanderings, and although it's old, it might be useful - it certainly gave me some ideas (although I appreciate the quantities aren't something we can achieve at the moment): Vegan Store Cupboard Challenge
It's the list the OP posts on the first page, which is pretty extensive, from an experienced Vegan.

It's also posted via a useful web-site for the UK - MSE - they are now doing their best to help people with financial information, and updating as quickly as they can. Hope it helps someone! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Val
Here you can order groceries online. They drop the food on your doostep. That's brilliant. No human contact needed! It costs 10 euros extra, but taken everything into consideration, I don't care.
We have that here but they are all booked three weeks out and they can’t fill half of what you ask for because stock is out on a lot of items.

I got “lucky” with an instacart order coming Saturday but I won’t know how much if the order I’ll be getting.

I also booked an order Over two weeks ago For Peapod which is coming a week from tomorrow. We will see what order brings as well.

Still no yeast to be had anywhere.

We have that here but they are all booked three weeks out and they can’t fill half of what you ask for because stock is out on a lot of items.

I got “lucky” with an instacart order coming Saturday but I won’t know how much if the order I’ll be getting.

I also booked an order Over two weeks ago For Peapod which is coming a week from tomorrow. We will see what order brings as well.

Really? Damn. Well... that is to be expected... I haven't ordered yet anything else than cat litter and canola oil. It was a test run to see if it actually works.
I didn't get the cat litter I ordered, but close enough.

Now I'm hoping to get some veggies and some other vital groceries that I'm almost out of. But if the situation is the same everywhere, I guess I'm out of luck also.
I hope you'll recieve what you ordered!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello KLS52

You've just reminded me, when I was baking bread (a few years back); I saw a tip on-line that if you visit an in-store supermarket bakery, and ask nicely, they would give you a small piece of live yeast. I tried it and it worked, although the chap behind the counter looked a bit puzzled. I asked him to price it for me, but, he said it was ok, it's free. Maybe this might work at a local bakery too? If you can get out to one, or have someone ask for you...

Hello KLS52

You've just reminded me, when I was baking bread (a few years back); I saw a tip on-line that if you visit an in-store supermarket bakery, and ask nicely, they would give you a small piece of live yeast. I tried it and it worked, although the chap behind the counter looked a bit puzzled. I asked him to price it for me, but, he said it was ok, it's free. Maybe this might work at a local bakery too? If you can get out to one, or have someone ask for you...
Yes someone else suggested that too. Thanks!

Reactions: Irene Adler
I forgot I have couscous--I've never made it before! :shrug: ,

The one I get is really easy, you just pour boiling veggie stock onto it in a bowl and leave it to fluff up.

In UK, we have an hour for elderly and vulnerable on Monday, Wednesday and Friday (9-10am), and another hour for NHS staff and carers on Sunday (9-10am) which people are largely sticking too. Apparently younger people are being turned away by staff and young people were bringing their elderly relations to get into the shop (although to be fair, they could be trying to assist them - only one person allowed). They stock up the shelves at these times....

I was thinking that when I was a carer for my husband a few years ago how I would have proved it if I was in this situation.

• Friendly
Reactions: Irene Adler and Val