I think I want to add some dry crackers. That way I don’t have to worry about bread going bad, especially if we don’t have electricity. If I’m going to prepare I want to prepare for worst case scenario lol.

Quarantine is one thing. I feel like un-quarantined people can always drop food off at your doorstep then run haha. It would be a different story if it were some kind of natural disaster.

Ryvita is a great option for this, it is on my list for today.

Emma JC

Reactions: Val and KLS52
I have done most of my shopping, I did not buy everything on my list, at least not as many of each as I thought.

I wish I had a small freezer (may consider it as they are only $200 for 3.5 sq feet) and the question is, is it worth it for the small amount of freezing space you get. It would essentially double my capacity and that doesn't seem like a lot to me. Any larger and it would be a pain when moving time comes and we are hoping that will be within the next year or so.

So far we do not have any known cases in our city however as my honey works in Toronto, which does have cases, it is likely that it will be here soon.

I really don't think there is anyway to completely avoid it and so trying to be as healthy as possible is our goal.

I am hoping that, because we vegans don't eat animals and because the virus came from an animal, no virus will wish to stick around inside us... 🙏

How is everyone else doing? it is so interesting that depending on who/what you listen to there is panic or 'who cares' .... somewhere in the middle would be good.

Emma JC

I have done most of my shopping, I did not buy everything on my list, at least not as many of each as I thought.

I wish I had a small freezer (may consider it as they are only $200 for 3.5 sq feet) and the question is, is it worth it for the small amount of freezing space you get. It would essentially double my capacity and that doesn't seem like a lot to me. Any larger and it would be a pain when moving time comes and we are hoping that will be within the next year or so.

So far we do not have any known cases in our city however as my honey works in Toronto, which does have cases, it is likely that it will be here soon.

I really don't think there is anyway to completely avoid it and so trying to be as healthy as possible is our goal.

I am hoping that, because we vegans don't eat animals and because the virus came from an animal, no virus will wish to stick around inside us... 🙏

How is everyone else doing? it is so interesting that depending on who/what you listen to there is panic or 'who cares' .... somewhere in the middle would be good.

Emma JC
We are not sure now, if the virus really came from an animal. They said on tv today (and it turns out that it's even not a secret!) that russian intellegence has found out that the virus had been created in a secret lab in Wuhan, and there was a leak. Sounds really stupid (and obvious), but if to think, it looks like paraphrased "Occam's razor" statement: "The simplest solution is most likely the right one".

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
We are not sure now, if the virus really came from an animal. They said on tv today (and it turns out that it's even not a secret!) that russian intellegence has found out that the virus had been created in a secret lab in Wuhan, and there was a leak. Sounds really stupid (and obvious), but if to think, it looks like paraphrased "Occam's razor" statement: "The simplest solution is most likely the right one".

yup, that rumour has been circulating for a while - could be true or it could be just a conspiracy theory... will we ever know for sure? don't know

Emma JC

yup, that rumour has been circulating for a while - could be true or it could be just a conspiracy theory... will we ever know for sure? don't know

Emma JC
The most suspicious thing, is that our authorities have been denying this rumour for a long time, but now the officials are speaking about it. Maybe it's another (more perverted) level of provocation? Who knows...

Reactions: Emma JC
I’m stocking up a bit. Nothing too drastic. Certainly not everything I had listed. My biggest challenge is getting husband and son to leave the stash alone for at least a couple of weeks so we can see how this all plays out. 🤦‍♀️

Since I get Aldi coffee I usually buy as needed- I'm stocking now cause being without coffee would be really bad. I have a number of tissue boxes as I keep finding off brands at the discount store.

I was washing my glasses and thought how eyeglasses should be something more talked about keeping clean
...and hair! My hair has gotten increasing shorter as I had less tolerance to getting it in my face. I would think hair would be a big transmitter.

Yesterday i was trying to buy apple cider vinegar (because i'd run out of it), and there was none in Okey mall (the biggest store in town)! Today i went to Magnet (a budget shop) and bought some. I also stocked up on barley. I also called a cheap pharmacy shop and asked a provisor to "save" 3 sanitizer bottles for me. Later came there and bought them and another pack of pills against throat pain. I noticed that this sanitizer smells awful now, and later i realized that its ingredients have been changed completely. Instead of 45%-Ethanol it now consists of 70%-Isopropyl. Well, despite that i hate its odour, i decided that it's better, because in order to destroy an RNA structure of a virus, you need 60+% ethyl, e.g. I hope these sanitizers have become more effective now.
I found this (comparison of Ethanol and Isopropyl desinfectants):

Dried goods like beans, rice, chickpeas, TVP and macaroni would be intelligent to stock up.
But the thing is that I don't have much space in my kitchen and not much of money either, so I don't know what I'll do.

I have +60% handsanitizer. And also, latex gloves, pain/fever medication and multivitamin pills.
I have no idea if those even work, but I think that it's better to at least try: if not for yourself, for your loved ones.

What's most important is to eat as healthily as possible, sleep well and have a decent amout of exercise each day.
Also, take good care of your teeth.

Dried goods like beans, rice, chickpeas, TVP and macaroni would be intelligent to stock up.
But the thing is that I don't have much space in my kitchen and not much of money either, so I don't know what I'll do.

I have +60% handsanitizer. And also, latex gloves, pain/fever medication and multivitamin pills.
I have no idea if those even work, but I think that it's better to at least try: if not for yourself, for your loved ones.

What's most important is to eat as healthily as possible, sleep well and have a decent amout of exercise each day.

all very good advice!!

check for sales on rice and beans and lentils and macaroni of course - the dollar store may be a good option too for some of these items and large bags of rice are often quite inexpensive

Emma JC

Even better question--what stocks that tanked would you stock up on?

Is a dilute bleach solution a good thing to use as a spray? Is it better than tea tree oil? Or just vinegar?

Uh no. That's a conspiracy theory. Similar things happened with the AIDS virus in the 80s and 90s, which also was a zoonotic illness. Google zoonotic illness. Most terrible diseases which have plagued mankind have been zoonotic, from leprosy to black plague to ebola.

People have tried to blame governments and technology they don't understand before... (this year it's 5G wifi, no really the stupidity in my country is absolutely appalling and unacceptable).

Who is likely to die from coronavirus? People who have compromised immune systems from pre-existing conditions, and the elderly (like late 70s and 80s beyond), and people like the doctors in China who were 30-something and had strong immune systems, but had grotesque multiple exposures. Apparently the more often you're exposed and the kinds of "puddles" you're exposed to increase your chances of severe illness and death. Sneeze droplets aren't as deadly as a large amount of body fluids, and limited exposure helps more than being immersed in an event with multiple carriers.

This could likely apply to eating animal products, if the animals in question were carriers. You know, like biomagnification, where the higher up on the food chain you eat the more toxins you ingest, the more animals you eat.

Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Even better question--what stocks that tanked would you stock up on?

Is a dilute bleach solution a good thing to use as a spray? Is it better than tea tree oil? Or just vinegar?

I don't think bleach is necessary anywhere away from a toilet, unless someone in your house actually has the illness. I think tea tree oil, vinegar, or an alcohol solution would work otherwise. You may want to use a clorox wipe in a grocery store if you know the virus has come to your city.

I think this is very good advice. Beans, rice, pasta, soy curls, and dried (or jarred, minced) onion and garlic won't go bad easily. It's also cheap for people with less money to stock up on these staples. Garlic powder and onion flakes make things taste better, and I do know fresh garlic and onion have anti-viral properties (so does mustard). Multivitamins also are excellent not only for illness, but in general if you are eating a boring, unvaried diet due to something like quarantine, where you aren't stocking up on fresh produce as often. Ibuprofen or Tylenol will keep you of dying of fever (unless you're ready to go to the emergency room) and help you feel a little less like you're dying, so you can at least rest.

I think it's a great time to give up any bad habits that keep one from sleeping or getting daily fresh air and exercise, including drinking alcohol. It might make you feel better but too much of it takes away from your immune response.

I also second, third or fourth the people saying to have coffee and/or tea on hand.

Emma JC

Yes, we can know for sure. Coronaviruses are all zoonotic in origin. Many, many deadly illnesses throughout human history have been zoonotic, but coronaviruses in fact are zoonotic, not speculatively speaking.

Humans can manipulate disease as a biological weapon, like anthrax, but anthrax again was zoonotic, coming from cattle farms. This particular novel strain of coronavirus originated around a market where wildlife was sold for food.

This "rumor" information is harmful and it's unhelpful to stroke people's egos by telling them its okay to believe it like there's no such thing as science.

all very good advice!!

check for sales on rice and beans and lentils and macaroni of course - the dollar store may be a good option too for some of these items and large bags of rice are often quite inexpensive

Emma JC
Thank you.
I'll do that.

I think this is very good advice. Beans, rice, pasta, soy curls, and dried (or jarred, minced) onion and garlic won't go bad easily. It's also cheap for people with less money to stock up on these staples. Garlic powder and onion flakes make things taste better, and I do know fresh garlic and onion have anti-viral properties (so does mustard). Multivitamins also are excellent not only for illness, but in general if you are eating a boring, unvaried diet due to something like quarantine, where you aren't stocking up on fresh produce as often. Ibuprofen or Tylenol will keep you of dying of fever (unless you're ready to go to the emergency room) and help you feel a little less like you're dying, so you can at least rest.

I think it's a great time to give up any bad habits that keep one from sleeping or getting daily fresh air and exercise, including drinking alcohol. It might make you feel better but too much of it takes away from your immune response.

I also second, third or fourth the people saying to have coffee and/or tea on hand.
You are definitely right about onion flakes. And since those are so tasty, it helps with mood as well. When you get something delicious, it most likely makes you happy, at least for a moment.