What's with the mason jar craze?
I have a box in the basement with all the good jars I've saved - from 16 oz jams, 8 oz Better than Boullion, vegan mayos.
Are mason jars any better if you're not going to can things?
I just think it's so odd that people are intrigued when I bring things in reused ziplock bags from dry stuff, or jars, or salad dressing in pill bottles

The mason jar was invented by John L. Mason.

The mason jar greatly improved the ease, safety and practicality of home food preservation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Landis_Mason

On a sad note, he died in poverty.

1582857893464.png

Geeeez... Mom said that all events (concerts, performances, feasts and celebrations) have been cancelled in her kindergarten (in the kindergarten she works at). Authorities have cancelled a lot of mass events in SPb already. Of course, they're explaining it by the flu epidemy, except that... there is no flu! (Due to mass vaccination, SPb wasn't hit by flu as badly as it used to be in recent years). But everyone understands the real purpose for these restrictions about mass events: coronovirus has been detected in Belarus' (Belorussia) already, and it's pretty close to Russia.
Mom always makes a scandal when i ask her for excessive money, but this time, when i said: "I'm going to Ribbon mall tonight, and there i'll buy a few those cool cheap soap bars that can last very long, so i need you to give me 300 more roubles",- she wasn't grumbling and gave me the money. Also, yesterday i went and bought some more Icelandic moss for her, just in case, and she gave me 200 roubles back. Tonight i'm going to stock up on barley, more rolled oats and maybe buckwheat.

Reactions: Emma JC
Does it have a flat blade? I have a flat blade with a cheap 'bullet' type blender. I buy whole seeds and grind enough for a week. Keep seeds in freezer

yes, thank you for reminding me, I do have a flat blade and forget sometimes that it is for that purpose...

Emma JC

I did my first "shop to stock" shopping trip today - only spent $80 CAN (about $5 US, just kidding it is $60 USD) and managed to get a lot of great items, on sale and these are items that I regularly buy

8 x gnocchi $1 each package 500 g
8 x cans of beans, lentils $1 each
Barilla pasta half price
2 x one litre (quart) olive oil, my regular brand was half price so $4.50 and that should last us until next year
5 lb bag of flour
1 x maple syrup $10
1 x pita package of 5
Baby Arugula on sale, for now not later
2 x bars of real soap $1 each
1 x large can coffee 1/3 off so $10
1 jar jam
1 x oat milk, not on sale but Canadian and so reg price is $2.50
1 x large ketchup
1 x bag Angie's Boom Chicka Popcorn on sale $2.49
1 x jar sauerkraut not on sale
1 x can whole plum tomatoes $1

A lot of really HEAVY stuff. I decided just to do about this amount at a time - will do some more tomorrow and Sunday. It feels good to have fuller shelves and I mentioned it yesterday to my step-daughter (aka bonus daughter) and she went out today and stocked up too. She is lucky enough to have a freezer...

I scanned the flyers for sales of only items that I regularly buy and am so looking forward to having stocked shelves for the next couple of months and therefore will only have to buy fresh food when I go out.

BTW anyone buying nutritional yeast, please do consider buying it from a bulk store, if they carry it, the difference in price between bulk and pre-packaged is about 3 or 4 times different. I buy it for about $8 a pound and Braggs is about $50 per pound and the larger bags range between $30 - $40 per pound. Not sure that my is fortified but I get my B12 elsewhere.

Emma JC

I did my first "shop to stock" shopping trip today - only spent $80 CAN (about $5 US, just kidding it is $60 USD) and managed to get a lot of great items, on sale and these are items that I regularly buy

8 x gnocchi $1 each package 500 g
8 x cans of beans, lentils $1 each
Barilla pasta half price
2 x one litre (quart) olive oil, my regular brand was half price so $4.50 and that should last us until next year
5 lb bag of flour
1 x maple syrup $10
1 x pita package of 5
Baby Arugula on sale, for now not later
2 x bars of real soap $1 each
1 x large can coffee 1/3 off so $10
1 jar jam
1 x oat milk, not on sale but Canadian and so reg price is $2.50
1 x large ketchup
1 x bag Angie's Boom Chicka Popcorn on sale $2.49
1 x jar sauerkraut not on sale
1 x can whole plum tomatoes $1

A lot of really HEAVY stuff. I decided just to do about this amount at a time - will do some more tomorrow and Sunday. It feels good to have fuller shelves and I mentioned it yesterday to my step-daughter (aka bonus daughter) and she went out today and stocked up too. She is lucky enough to have a freezer...

I scanned the flyers for sales of only items that I regularly buy and am so looking forward to having stocked shelves for the next couple of months and therefore will only have to buy fresh food when I go out.

BTW anyone buying nutritional yeast, please do consider buying it from a bulk store, if they carry it, the difference in price between bulk and pre-packaged is about 3 or 4 times different. I buy it for about $8 a pound and Braggs is about $50 per pound and the larger bags range between $30 - $40 per pound. Not sure that my is fortified but I get my B12 elsewhere.

Emma JC
Well done! I am planning to do some shopping early next week. I'll be too busy to do it this weekend.

Reactions: Val and Emma JC
Found a lot of great deals the past few days and so my stash is growing.

10 lb bags of basmati rice for $6
Tasty Bite Indian food - $2.20 each
red lentils - 4 lb bag for $3
5 lb bags of potatoes - $4

did also buy a lot of things that weren't on sale

does anyone have experience with potato flakes? no added ingredients? I have never ever bought potato flakes so although they won't compare to the real thing, are they bearable?

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
From Facebook. Some tips for anyone who may be interested.

The best advice available from the doctor who has studied coronaviruses for decades.

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.
The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.
3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved.

BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.
I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim
James Robb, MD FCAP

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Have stocked up on my painkillers!:woo: Now i have a 4-months supply. Had to grab money from mom, because i don't have any right now. When/IF i get my wages, i'll try to buy some more painkillers, though i'll also have to return my debt. I just would like to avoid crawling around the clinic and pharmany shops in a month or 2, when the virus will probably reach my city. I foresee that neurological painkillers of any kind may disappear, and other meds may also become unavailable, so these expences are justified.
When i get my paycheck, i'm planning to buy a 3.5-months supply of Tioctacid (Lipoic acid). I not only need it to support my liver, but it may save life in many situations, so i'll try and buy it anyway.
What about food,- still stocking up on grains and legumes. Today, during my hike, i dropped by a budget grocer (yet a big one) in a remote suburb district of my hometown, and saw a lot of grains and legumes for reasonable prices (bought a few packs). Going to get back there on Friday and Sunday and get some more. Stocking up on staples in big shopping malls is too pricy, so have to look for alternatives...:sheep:

@KLS52 -there was information I haven't heard anywhere else. For instance,the virus lasting up to a week on clothing? How often I rub my nose with the neck, or shoulder, of my sweater! Snake virus? Zinc lozanges-although that makes sense as it 's a cold virus

I do use my knuckles whenever possible- just at the ATM and OMG they must NEVER clean those buttons
Coincidently I did buy a huge pack of nitrile gloves that were at my discount store really cheap- should carry some in the car
Face masks cause me to fuss with them too much, probably counter productive!
I should get miso and a couple bottles of alcohol-isopropel that is. Or bleach to dilute? I absolutely hate the smell of Lysol and other disenfectent sprays!
How about burning some sage? :rofl:

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and Emma JC
@silva...I know. Some of it seems crazy. I was also thinking of getting rubbing alcohol. And now I just found a recipe for making your own hand sanitizer.
Combine in a bowl:
ā…”-cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
ā…“-cup aloe vera gel.
Stir. Decant into a clean soap or pump bottle.
you have to rub into your hands and let it dry. You canā€™t wipe if off with a towel/cloth.

I'm going to get some zinc lozenges! I admit I'm getting a little freaked :fp: . At the beginning of 2018 everyone at work got the flu. I was out on a thurs, fri-sunday I had to go to an urgent care for a nebulizer breathing treatment, then off mon and tues. I felt so bad!

My son was using hand sanitizer then quit after realizing it really wasn't ok to keep using anti bacterial products. We have three unopened bottles from the Dollar Tree., At work I use a lot of alcohol as is

I don't understand the water comments. Buy a Brita filter, you're creating unnecessary plastic waste by buying packaged water (unless you live in a place that has had a chemical spill, or you're saving it in a closet for a 7+ earthquake).

Um, I have bags of rice, dried beans, canned beans, spices, some oats and that sort of thing anyway. Of course that's bare minimum survival and realistically that would get boring and I would be miserable ...unless it was actually the apocalypse I would likely feel deprived. I would probably have to obtain a couple of large jars of peanut and almond butter, more dried and frozen fruit (I have a big bag of dried cranberries, but again two months is a long time), more spices, boxes of vegetable broth, probably frozen vegan meats, coffee, ingredients for cashew cheese, frozen broccoli, tomato sauce and pasta. Also shelf stable non-dairy milk for the oats.

What's with the mason jar craze?
I have a box in the basement with all the good jars I've saved - from 16 oz jams, 8 oz Better than Boullion, vegan mayos.
Are mason jars any better if you're not going to can things?
I just think it's so odd that people are intrigued when I bring things in reused ziplock bags from dry stuff, or jars, or salad dressing in pill bottles

OMG I use pill bottles too.

Reactions: Sax and Emma JC