I'm going to get some zinc lozenges! I admit I'm getting a little freaked :fp: . At the beginning of 2018 everyone at work got the flu. I was out on a thurs, fri-sunday I had to go to an urgent care for a nebulizer breathing treatment, then off mon and tues. I felt so bad!
i have three packs of zinc lozenges. And I was able to get some antibacterial wipes. I probably won’t use either. 🤦‍♀️ I washed my hands a lot today, more so than usual. It seems to be the best recommendation. I’ll save the wipes for when I go to the store.
Connecticut is considering closing schools for two weeks. They said they’re not there yet but they sent out an email to parents prepping them for what they feel will likely happen at some point. This is the kind of thing that starts to freak people out. I was unphased for quite awhile but the more you hear about store shelves being emptied, and now schools preparing to close, it’s hard not to start buying into the hype. And don’t even get me started with the price gouging.

@silva...I know. Some of it seems crazy. I was also thinking of getting rubbing alcohol. And now I just found a recipe for making your own hand sanitizer.
Combine in a bowl:
⅔-cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
⅓-cup aloe vera gel.
Stir. Decant into a clean soap or pump bottle.
you have to rub into your hands and let it dry. You can’t wipe if off with a towel/cloth.
It doesn't sound crazy at all! Moreover, i have a "wide experience" in using isopropyl either. We used to wipe my ex-husband's violin's parts and strings with tiny isopropyl wipes (they are called "wipes for injections"). Already called mom and demanded to buy a pack if she finds any. So... thanks for the idea! :flower:
P.S. We also had successful experiences in desinfecting wounds that occured during our long hikes which were not always safe.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
i have three packs of zinc lozenges. And I was able to get some antibacterial wipes. I probably won’t use either. 🤦‍♀️ I washed my hands a lot today, more so than usual. It seems to be the best recommendation. I’ll save the wipes for when I go to the store.
Connecticut is considering closing schools for two weeks. They said they’re not there yet but they sent out an email to parents prepping them for what they feel will likely happen at some point. This is the kind of thing that starts to freak people out. I was unphased for quite awhile but the more you hear about store shelves being emptied, and now schools preparing to close, it’s hard not to start buying into the hype. And don’t even get me started with the price gouging.
Whoa, I hadn't heard that about the schools. I was thwarted in my efforts to shop yesterday because I basically had to work all day/night (that's a story for the gripe thread, lol), but I'm hoping to get out today. I don't have zinc lozenges, but I do have disposable gloves and other cold medicine. On the plus side, I don't think the stores will run out of nooch flakes and nondairy milks...I hope, haha.

@silva...I know. Some of it seems crazy. I was also thinking of getting rubbing alcohol. And now I just found a recipe for making your own hand sanitizer.
Combine in a bowl:
⅔-cup rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl alcohol)
⅓-cup aloe vera gel.
Stir. Decant into a clean soap or pump bottle.
you have to rub into your hands and let it dry. You can’t wipe if off with a towel/cloth.
Thanks for this! I have both of those in the house. It doesn't seem crazy at all. #TheWorldWeAreLivingIn. 😁

Reactions: TofuRobot
If the CDC did recommend people stock up on groceries I think it would lead to a run on food supplies and result in panic.
This is already happening. People are completely freaking out. It's irritating, TBH. I mean, the only reason I'm marginally stocking up on stuff is because of everyone else panicking and stores are running out of stuff like toilet paper and bottled water.

Both of those things, IMO, are 2 of the stupidest things to purchase in an emergency. You could literally purchase 10-20 old t-shirts from a thrift shop, cut them up and use them as re-usable wipes if necessary. As for bottled water - why aren't people investing in good water filters?? A case or 2 of bottled water is only going to get you so far, whereas a water filter lasts relatively indefinitely. SMH.

And I needed to buy an N95 for a project I'm working on and I can't even get those for less than $80 for a pack of 5 on Amazon, IF it's in stock. 😠 Fortunately I think I have one already, I just have to dig around for it.

What I may do is go to Sprouts and pick up some more bulk dried bean soup mix, barley, and some canned tomatoes. With my Instant Pot and a couple bags of potatoes, that would do us well for decent amount of time until people calm the heck down.

I mean - I've heard some people saying they don't even know it's a virus. They are literally guessing. ...All that said, I'm doing all I can to avoid touching doorknobs right now...

Whoa, I hadn't heard that about the schools. I was thwarted in my efforts to shop yesterday because I basically had to work all day/night (that's a story for the gripe thread, lol), but I'm hoping to get out today. I don't have zinc lozenges, but I do have disposable gloves and other cold medicine. On the plus side, I don't think the stores will run out of nooch flakes and nondairy milks...I hope, haha.
I beg your pardon, but could you please explain to a clueless foreigner, what are zinc lozenges?:???: Because it sounds like a useful thing...:eyes: Do you think it may be helpful for us over here?
P.S. Tonight i've had a decent hike to a remote district in the city (that i usually don't go to), and it was quite an entertainment, because i like it there. And i also stocked up on Lecithin tapioca capsules, because periodically, i desperately need either Choline Alfoscerate, or Lecithin, because it can transform in my brains into Choline Alfoscerate. It keeps my ataxia from affecting my myelin sheath around my oligodendrocytes (oligodendroglia). As far as i know, very few drug stores sell this form of Lecithin capsules (and an American one, that i wanted to by online, is now unavailabe). In a nutshell, i'm contented.🤗 I have taken 2 capsules, and i already feel better (ataxia has almost gone,- it means that i've got a relatively healthy brain, which can transform one thing into another).:apple: I'm planning to stock up on Lecithin once more when i get my wages, because it's one of the first things Sumerian gods advised me.
I also made mom buy Isopropyl wipes (thanks, @KLS52 ).:hug:

I went to Trader Joes yesterday and stocked up on a few things - pasta, marinara sauce, olives, cereals, chips, pita chips & pretzels, canned/jarred/dried fruit, olive oil, frozen burritos, a few varieties of beans, frozen veggies, peanut butter, almond butter, raw cashews, crackers, tahini… :???: I don't know that it's a month's worth, but it's a start.

I went to costco last week and stocked up on paper products and Beyond Burgers and underpants.:woo:

Fortunately, we have a natural spring right across the street in the park and so fresh water is no concern.

This is very unlike me. I usually don't have stores of anything other than dog food. I hate things to expire and once I have stuff in quantity, I tend to start to hate it and never want it again. :weird:

@Val...zinc lozenges are like a cough drop or hard candy. “Zinc is an essential mineral that is found in almost every cell. Zinc has antioxidant effects and is vital to the body's resistance to infection. It's also important for tissue repair. Researchers have studied the use of zinc as a cold remedy and as a way to treat the cold virus. For now, the study results on using zinc as a cold remedy are inconclusive.”

Look what we've obtained! 70% Isopropyl wipes! These blue packs contain 7 wipes each, and they're made in Russia. And this is ironic, but these yellow-ish ones are made in China (the name is just translated by a russian importer).
Despite that my 45% Ethyl hand sanitizer may not work for eliminating the virus, i'm still using it because it's really dirty outside (esp. in transportation). I've become more sensitive to human odours, especially human skin, so i can feel to what extent things are dirty after being touched by humans,- e.g. ballet barres are extremely stinky, because they are drenched with human (kids') sweat and dead skin particles. Sometimes i have to touch them, and it sucks...:yuck: ...But mom said that Isopropyl wipes are not in deficite, because people don't realize that they may be helpful, so i'll have a chance to get more.
IMG_20200303_233822.jpg
I'm glad i managed to get to Okey mall before closing time of that pharmacy shop that sells Icelandic moss, and i ordered 2 last packs to be kept until i come again on Thursday (because it had arrived to the stock, but it was unpacked till the moment i came this evening, and i couldn't get it🥴🙄). The cashier is always nice to me, and she was upset that she couldn't help me tonight, so she offered me to pre-order any amount of packs from the stock in the city. I said that i come pretty often, so there's no need to pre-order anything yet (it's a bad idea to pre-order expensive things if you can't afford them at the moment). Mom is grumbling (and yelling) that i'm wasting a lot of money, but when she gets better (when her inflammation processes decrease), she instantly forgets how much it sucks to have podagra, and she forgets how much she needs all those remedies that are keeping her in good health (more or less). ...So, sounds ridiculous, but i'm stocking up on mom's remedies. (Is it ridiculous? I have no clue. I need more money, blin).🤦‍♀️

@Val...zinc lozenges are like a cough drop or hard candy. “Zinc is an essential mineral that is found in almost every cell. Zinc has antioxidant effects and is vital to the body's resistance to infection. It's also important for tissue repair. Researchers have studied the use of zinc as a cold remedy and as a way to treat the cold virus. For now, the study results on using zinc as a cold remedy are inconclusive.”
Thanks. :hug: :flower: I didn't know they existed.:woo: I'm a little concerned about a chance of being overdozed with one particular element like zinc, or Tiamine, e.g. (like i happened to be because i was getting B1 injections, that i stopped to be getting eventually because they affected my blood pressure, aaarrrgghhh), ...but this info about zinc "candies" deserve my further research, and i'll see what kind of pills (containing zinc) i can get over here.😼:sheep:

Thanks. :hug: :flower: I didn't know they existed.:woo: I'm a little concerned about a chance of being overdozed with one particular element like zinc, or Tiamine, e.g. (like i happened to be because i was getting B1 injections, that i stopped to be getting eventually because they affected my blood pressure, aaarrrgghhh), ...but this info about zinc "candies" deserve my further research, and i'll see what kind of pills (containing zinc) i can get over here.😼:sheep:
You can overdose. It is recommended to not take them for more than five days. Too much zinc can cause several issues...nausea, lowers good cholesterol, bad taste in mouth, flu like symptoms, copper deficiency and frequent infections. I got all that from google, Fyi. 😁

You can overdose. It is recommended to not take them for more than five days. Too much zinc can cause several issues...nausea, lowers good cholesterol, bad taste in mouth, flu like symptoms, copper deficiency and frequent infections. I got all that from google, Fyi. 😁
Yeah, i've read about symptoms of being overdozed by various vitamins too. That's why i'm so suspicious. I prefer getting vitamins from food, IF i can. I was quite upset when i had to cancel my order of Biotine capsules, because they contained a scary doze, and i found out that cancer cells actually devour Biotine! On the one hand - it helps, and i need it more than other humanoids, because i have a leak of it, on the other hand - i'd better be munching red beans in enormous quantities, than get cancer due to my stupidity and greed. We have a saying: "Free cheese is only in a mice trap".

I finally got to go shopping. I feel relieved. I don't usually stock up this much, but I'm feeling the need in the event the state adopts some sort of quarantine or ban on public gatherings. Connecticut doesn't have a confirmed case, but I'm sure it will happen. All the neighboring states have had cases. I spent way too much money, but I will use everything I bought, so if all of this blows over, I won't have to do a big shopping for a long time. :D

All this panic talk of stocking up is very stressful for those of us who live paycheck to paycheck and have NO funds for stocking up. I do not have any extra income for extras and buy only what I need to get me by week to week. This happens every hurricane season too.
Yikes, I'm sorry, Chryssie. :( I don't mean to add to your stress!

All this panic talk of stocking up is very stressful for those of us who live paycheck to paycheck and have NO funds for stocking up. I do not have any extra income for extras and buy only what I need to get me by week to week. This happens every hurricane season too.
That's true. :hug: Sometimes i get really sick of re-counting my daily expences on my calculator day after day, because i know how much i can spend a day, and if i suddenly make an error in my calculations and spend more than i can afford, i have to count everything again. I can never relax and stocking up on anything means that you have to cut up on something essential. I know i can survive without kiwies, or tasty salsa, or cauliflower, etc., in order to get more packs of grains, or more meds,- but i get stressed out, and it seems to me that everything is even worse than it already is. Meanwhile, mom is not very thoughtful: i have to make her stock up on food, or give me additional money if i have to buy some extra goodies.
Btw, they say, that there is the first case in Ukraine. (Belarus is already on the "list"). Today i wrote a letter to my friend from Serbia, asking her about her friends in Iran and her sister in Quatar, but she only said that there are no cases in Serbia yet. She apparently didn't want to tell me any details... I'm glad she's ok though.
Scary news are coming from Moscow. They say, it's under control yet, because they isolated that sick man and everyone he'd contacted with, but Moscow is not safe,- SPb is probably even less safe.
Waiting for my next paycheck in awe, because mom demands money, and i need to buy a pack of Tioctacid: i wanted to do it the next month, but i think i have to buy it ASAP, while it's still around.
Tomorrow we're having a "pedsovet" at work (a "teachers' meeting"). It's unusual, so i guess, we'll be talking "about it". Moreover, some teachers wanted to skip it, because they have another jobs, but my big boss asked them to come "for at least 15 minutes" (it means that she'll be talking about something really serious).:pout:

Last edited:
I usually have fairly large stocks of various staples on hand anyway: rolled oats, other grains such as rice, dry beans... the store which carries them is a bit out of my way, so I tend to buy 25 to 50 pounds of things at once. I can also get them at my local supermarket, but they usually come in plastic bags of 1 to 5 pounds and I don't like to add to the waste problem. I just take care that insects don't get into my supplies. But maybe I should be more methodical about it. I remember 20 years ago they were worrying about the millenium date causing some sort of computer problem; I did a bit of stocking up but I felt kind of silly.

I bought some Cold Eeze lozenges. When my kids were in day care I would take zinc lozenges at the beginning of cold symptoms and swear they ended the cold!
What bothers me so much is that it's totally unknown how many people have covid-9, or just the regular flu, or a bad cold!
How many people are going to get tested to find out? My urgent care co pay is $45. then insurance pays 80% of whatever they do. If I get sick like I was a couple years ago I'll probably get a breathing treatment- but have the testing? Not on my bill!

Why aren't we having rules for who gets tested, at no cost?

I think I want to add some dry crackers. That way I don’t have to worry about bread going bad, especially if we don’t have electricity. If I’m going to prepare I want to prepare for worst case scenario lol.

Quarantine is one thing. I feel like un-quarantined people can always drop food off at your doorstep then run haha. It would be a different story if it were some kind of natural disaster.