The Coffee House-Come & Chat With Us!(April 2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aldi is really good. Recently we've tried a few new things, to us, from there: vegan pizza (ok), frozen vegan steak bakes (really good) & their magnum style icecreams - both the salted caramel flavour & peanut butter flavour....THEY ARE AMAZING.

The UK Aldi's are great. The US ones are slightly different but also have a large range of plant based food and other items which are far cheaper than in the standard supermarkets.
Over here they aren't too vegan friendly but do have a few vegan/vegetarian options.

The Aldi I have near me isn't really close enough to bring frozen food home. Next time I go to the shopping centre to see a film I might go and see if I can get the Magnums. We would have to eat them all in one go, though. I think there are three to a pack. :laughing:

Reactions: Chryssie and Val
The Aldi I have near me isn't really close enough to bring frozen food home. Next time I go to the shopping centre to see a film I might go and see if I can get the Magnums. We would have to eat them all in one go, though. I think there are three to a pack. :laughing:

That wouldn't be a problem for me. :D

• Agree
Reactions: hungryraccoon
Morning/afternoon y'all! The weather is going to be nasty this morning with thunderstorms. I was going to Target but I may wait until tomorrow unless it clears up early. I will have to go to the Dollar General for cat food as I used the last of the can this morning! The Dollar General is just around the corner so I go there quite often. I haven't been to Target in months as it is in Orange City about 10 miles away. I need a bunch of cleaning products though and Target has the cruelty free brands.

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
This is my day of fooling around,- i hope it remains the same till the night, because barely i relaxed yesterday evening - a few stupid students started claiming that they "understand nothing", so i had to do negotiations with them. One boy was simply mocking me and he p#ssed me off drastically.
Now all i can do is to lie on bed, digest my dinner and listen to the horrendous noises of Elijah drilling the walls in our coridor.:hmm: Plus he's periodically singing some fragments from opera airs.
Oh, and i forgot to mention: we obtained some turmeric powder and black ground pepper!:clp: When i was on my way back from the walk yesterday, mom called and said she was in Magnet grocer at the moment! She actually went for a walk too, but she had taken gloves, a mask and a huge sack in case if she finds a grocer that is not very crowded. She found one! It was a (relatively) new grocer, which is not as popular because it's "hidden" among other buildings, and many citizens are merely unaware of it (i've been there a few times though). So i had to call mom many times to explain to her what i needed. Because while she can buy fruits and veggies literally "on the street" (in tiny Azeri kiosks which are located along the street),- she can't get e.g. hygiene items or spices, vinegar, legumes or grains elsewhere. Her most precious purchase was a bunch (26 small packs) of turmeric powder and 5 packs of pepper. Plus she got me some red beans, kiwis, 2 gigantic pink Azeri tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, tomato sauce, and something else, a lot more carnivorous "food" for herself. I suspect, the only reason she takes attempts to go to grocery stores is that she runs out of her greasy food.
I took a walk too. The weather was calm and warm,- much better than on Saturday, when i got soaked under the rain. On both days, i came home late in the evening.
Unghshu's photos from the walk (Sunday, Apr.19th):
IMG_20200420_002400.jpg

IMG_20200420_002543.jpg

Reflections. Mokkolovo peninsula.
IMG_20200420_002736.jpg

IMG_20200420_002824.jpg

IMG_20200420_002929.jpg

IMG_20200420_003025.jpg

My former (high) school in the dark.
IMG_20200419_235917.jpg

Leisure club for youth.
IMG_20200419_235613.jpg

My current mood.
IMG_20200419_235753.jpg

Last edited:
I feel sleepy and fatigue, and COPD hurts. I'm tired of it. So i need to get out of the house ASAP to give my lungs some fresh air to breathe. From the very morning, mom started poisoning the flat with burning sunflower oil. I do hate oil, but much more i hate burning oil, after which everything stinks badly. I would take a nap now if i could,- but i can't, as Elijah is making noises right beneath my door. So, in an hour or so, i'll probably take a walk and follow another "route" than i usually do. I want to go to 2 Chukhonka bridges. Chukhonka park is closed, but there are a lot of places to have a walk at, except that it's still hard to avoid humanoids who have absolutely no idea of social distancing,- that's why the number of infected people in the country is growing so rapidly in all regions, including SPb. Yesterday, when i was on the way back, some man, about 50, was trying to approach me and ask me something. I had to yell at him loudly and order him to get away from me. He ran away quickly, haha. I'm getting paranoid, apparently, but better safe than sorry.
Unghshu's walk on Saturday:
IMG_20200420_001221.jpg

IMG_20200420_001327.jpg

IMG_20200420_001432.jpg

Yellow-ish moss.
IMG_20200420_001802.jpg

Dry grass will change to green grass in June, not sooner.
IMG_20200420_002154.jpg

Surrealism: someone had thrown rotten apples on the flower bed.
IMG_20200420_000942.jpg

Dark water and rotten apples, lol.
IMG_20200420_000634.jpg

IMG_20200420_001904.jpg

Ducklings.
IMG_20200420_000053.jpg

IMG_20200420_000404.jpg

US Aldi has nothing like those vegan things! We have burger, bean burgers, chik'less patties and nuggets, and meatless balls-which I really like. I went Sat and found almond milk ice cream back, which I didn't like at all when I got the chocolate last summer, but I got coffee chocolate fudge and it;s so good
I went to work this morning, had awful intestinal problems and had to leave. This has been going on for weeks, but nothing much till today. I have to say I feel cold. Not like a fever I don't think.
I don't know, I probably will have an online visit with a doc. Having green tea now

• Sad
Reactions: PTree15 and Val

You are right - 3 to a pack. They're so good that I'm sure you'll manage :D

Reactions: Raven
Morning/afternoon y'all! The weather is going to be nasty this morning with thunderstorms. I was going to Target but I may wait until tomorrow unless it clears up early. I will have to go to the Dollar General for cat food as I used the last of the can this morning! The Dollar General is just around the corner so I go there quite often. I haven't been to Target in months as it is in Orange City about 10 miles away. I need a bunch of cleaning products though and Target has the cruelty free brands.

We are getting these storms tomorrow. I hope they bring some warmer weather after the SNOW we had this week!!!!!

After tomorrow we’re expecting a prolonged heatwave for over a week, with temperatures expected to get up to at least 90 at its peak. 😮 Today will be about 66, tomorrow about 70. To go from that to 90 is going to be a HUGE adjustment. Plus short sleeves after nothing but sweaters for several months.

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Val
After tomorrow we’re expecting a prolonged heatwave for over a week, with temperatures expected to get up to at least 90 at its peak. 😮 Today will be about 66, tomorrow about 70. To go from that to 90 is going to be a HUGE adjustment. Plus short sleeves after nothing but sweaters for several months.

Just 60s and 70s here. Its been cloudy for days. And the forecast is for mostly cloudy this week. Next Monday is supposed to be sunny.

Reactions: Val
The line of storms that went through this morning was intense! There were damaging winds and a couple of tornadoes! At my place, it rained really hard and got a bit windy for just a few minutes. The storms were moving very fast!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I live near San Francisco which is normally very tolerant of 4/20 parties. but this year the authorities made a statement that 4/20 party goers will be prosecuted. I get it. It would be difficult to maintain good physical distancing.

Although it makes me kind of sad. :(

Time for a new avatar. Goodbye, ole Hobbes. Hello, new Hobbes.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mel and Val
Some of you may have seen on my FB, but I found out last night that I am going to be a grandmother! So freaking excited!

👶
I did but congratulations again!

• Friendly
Reactions: Mel
The Aldi’s where I used to live was kind of disappointing. There’s one about 40 minutes from the new house. I may check it out if we ever get out of social distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.