Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

Wow you don't muck about! Sounds great.

How would you describe and rate the oak leaves? I made a (horrible) wine with them years ago, but never considered eating them.

That's right, life's too short to not eat delicious food!

It has a delicate and mild (or slight bitter depending on the variety) taste and pairs well with other ingredients such as avocados and red roasted peppers. It also tastes better with Dijon mustard vinaigrette. I also like it with smoked tofu.

How on earth did you manage to make wine using salad leaves? I thought that you could only make the former using fruit as it has to ferment.

1622970381528.png

Reactions: PTree15

It has a delicate and mild (or slight bitter depending on the variety) taste and pairs well with other ingredients such as avocados and red roasted peppers. It also tastes better with Dijon mustard vinaigrette. I also like it with smoked tofu.

How on earth did you manage to make wine using salad leaves? I thought that you could only make the former using fruit as it has to ferment.
Aaah more leafy confusion! You mean oakleaf lettuce. I've never heard of that before—I thought you meant the leaves of an oak tree.

Procedure for oak leaf wine (a recipe from an old homebrewing book):
-A gallon of oak leaves (Quercus) soaking in a gallon of water
-1kg sugar
-yeast + a bit of nutrient + citric acid
-ferment for a month
-taste
-gag reflex
-pour down the toilet.

I made it so you don't have to :–)

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15
Aaah more leafy confusion! You mean oakleaf lettuce. I've never heard of that before—I thought you meant the leaves of an oak tree.

Procedure for oak leaf wine (a recipe from an old homebrewing book):
-A gallon of oak leaves (Quercus) soaking in a gallon of water
-1kg sugar
-yeast + a bit of nutrient + citric acid
-ferment for a month
-taste
-gag reflex
-pour down the toilet.

I made it so you don't have to :–)

I'd never consider picking oak leaves and eating them.:cool:

No-cheeze sauce made from potatoes, carrots, onions. We eat it with whole wheat pasta sometimes adding broccoli to the pasta. We also add it to baked beans to give them a less watery creamy texture to the sauce part.

The same as yesterday with added frankfurters and extra spinach :
Basil & pine nut cappeletti with wilted spinach and green asparagus plus a drizzle of evo/sprinkle of garlic.
A tossed oak leaf salad with vinaigrette.
A peach.
A glass of chilled chardonnay.

I had a Green Cuisine burger, a Quorn dinosaur, rocket, tomatoes and carrots with dressing.

I'm going to have some berries and dark chocolate later.

View attachment 24699
I forgot thats what it's called- i often get that in a container that also has a green variety.

I finished some Thai food I got yesterday. Crazy noodles with tofu--I really need to come up with a sauce to make my own--delicious!

I have leftover veggie curry in the fridge and I'm going to make a lentil dal as well and have it all with quinoa. I have bought some vegan strawberry ice cream cones so I will have one for dessert.

I'm making this today, Greek Lentil and Spinach Soup with Lemon from here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...aten-it-for-lunch-every-workday-for-17-years/
Interesting story, a nurse, he ate this soup for 17 years. He made it once a week. What I like about it, is I can change the greens from spinach to what I have, kale, put more or less hot peppers in it, use whatever squash I have on hand, and my favorite part is adding a little lemon juice/rind to my bowl of soup to keep it bright and fresh.
Ingredients are:
  • 1 pound brown or large green lentils, rinsed and picked over
  • 10 cups vegetable broth or water
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 medium Yukon gold, russet or red potatoes (1 1/4 pounds), scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
  • 10 ounces baby spinach, chopped
  • 1 small butternut squash (1 pound), peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil (I skip this)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, with leaves, sliced
  • 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or more to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 2 lemons
Edit: It took an hour to make. My son came upstairs to ask me what smelled so good! He doesn't eat vegan or wfpb'ed. Him and my husband and myself, we all had large servings with whole wheat sprouted grain toast and there are 3 quart containers of it in the fridge now. It was very good!

Attachments

• greeklemonsquashlentilsoup 008.JPG
    greeklemonsquashlentilsoup 008.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I wanted to make the good 'ol chickpea cutlets from Isa, but didn't feel like doing things right. I mashed up chickpeas I'd cooked yesterday,that were in an aquafaba thick as gel, and mixed with equal parts water. added seasonings like nooch, smoked paprika, garlic and minced dried onion,then mixed in about 1.5 parts vwg. Cut into nuggets, fried both sides, then covered in a broth with a LOT of hot sauce till absorbed, then did other side.
Also made asparagus.
My son came home and immediately remembered them. Of course they weren't quite right as I used to dredge them in flour, and paid attention to proportions, but still good. Can't believe I haven't made them in so long!

I had a sub made with a zucchini cake, pesto, vegan mayo, lettuce, onions, banana peppers and vegan mozz. I think I will have this again tomorrow night. It was delicious.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I had a sub made with a zucchini cake, pesto, vegan mayo, lettuce, onions, banana peppers and vegan mozz. I think I will have this again tomorrow night. It was delicious.

Is that a sandwich ? I really like courgette fritters and this reminds me that I haven't made any in a long time. I usually serve mine with a cold tofu sauce made with fresh lemons.

Soy Curls soaked in water with a bit of tamari, garlic powder and poultry season, then sauted up in BBQ sauce, served on rice with steamed brussel sprouts.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: shyvas