Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

I hadn't heard of poutine until I was on that other veggie forum we all used to be on. Well, I don't know if you were Emma but a lot of us were!

There is a dish in the Midlands/Northern part of England called chips, cheese and gravy. I hadn't heard of that until I went to university as it was in that part of the country. I think that might be similar to poutine.

That is the same as Poutine which originated in Quebec:
1656758020419.png

What do Britons like most on their chips? | YouGov

The only thing that isn’t appealing for me is the gravy AND cheeZe. I can take either or for fries/chips but not both together. But usually I just go for the tried and true ketchup.

• Agree
Reactions: Brian W
Oh, that’s an interesting pic of poutine…cheese curds. I’m not familiar. It makes me think of cottage cheese. It’s the only cheese I know of with “curds”.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
Oh, that’s an interesting pic of poutine…cheese curds. I’m not familiar. It makes me think of cottage cheese. It’s the only cheese I know of with “curds”.

Apparently soft Mozzarella would be the substitue for the cheddar curds they use. I'm no expert mind you, as it's not something that I'd make.
I like my chips with a dash of cider vinegar and nothing else. :rolleyes:

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Looked up vegan poutine and the two top recipes use that typical, very tasteless, vegan mozz recipe that isn't cultured.
Blending raw cashews with soy yogurt and letting it culture, best in hot temps, or the low yogurt setting on Instant Pot for a day gives such good taste! Then add some nooch and tapioca and cook

I want to try poutine, but I also want to experiment with all kinds of cheeses! After I clean up the kitchen :eek:

Looked up vegan poutine and the two top recipes use that typical, very tasteless, vegan mozz recipe that isn't cultured.
Blending raw cashews with soy yogurt and letting it culture, best in hot temps, or the low yogurt setting on Instant Pot for a day gives such good taste! Then add some nooch and tapioca and cook

I want to try poutine, but I also want to experiment with all kinds of cheeses! After I clean up the kitchen :eek:
I eat my words! :rofl:
I happened to have some good gravy in the fridge, and shoestring fries in freezer, so I heated gravy & crisped up fries. I topped the hot fried with bits of my tangy cultured cheese, that to me seemed the closest to 'curds' and poured on the gravy.
I liked the fries with the cheese
I liked the fries with the gravy
I didn't like them together. I think the bland cheese from online bloggers like Doesn't taste like chicken might be the better cheese!

I need a sale on potatoes. They've gotten pricey here!

Last edited:
last night we had an unusual, for us, dinner - Gardein chicken and tons of Ikea meatballs and brussel sprouts in butter - sweet chili sauce in the meatballs and some on the chicken with some Olek chili sauce - we didn't feel like rice - have to admit I am not used to that amount of sugar or fat so didn't feel great after, it was tasty going in though

btw the cheese curds go on top of the gravy on poutine, we didn't have gravy with ours as it was chili and some mozz shreds instead - there is a good recipe for cashew mozzerella in the link @Lou put in the Canada Day thread - simple and I will try it soon - mushroom canned gravy is great on fries

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

I was so close to a Five Guys coming home! They have the best fresh cut fries and have malt vinegar.
I'll have 1 or 2 of my seitan hot dogs, depending if I think of anything to go with them.No potatoes here
I only seem to like macaroni salad at picnics, but never at home, so that's out. No cabbage for cole slaw.
How do I manage to bring home so many groceries and never seem to have what I want :shrug:
I do have 5 bags each split peas, and brown lentils

I do love malt vinegar on fries, but I'm also not apposed to other condiments, depending on the type of fries and their given quality. Fresh cut fries just taste better to me with malt vinegar and a sprinkle of salt. Where some homemade potato wedges would be great with a side of Franks hot sauce infused veganaise. Fast food fries are okay to me with ketchup. Heck, I can eat good fries with no condiments at all. Lets face it, fries are NOT all created equal.

Tonight I'm just having Gardein nuggets and a spinach salad.

I brought home some pizza and small savoury tarts from work last night. Not vegan but vegetarian and I would have had to throw them away if I didn't bring them home. We will have those with some cauliflower, sugarsnaps and new potatoes.

The remaining tarts from work with salad in Italian style dressing and new potatoes tossed in a little Rapeseed/olive oil.

Reactions: PTree15
Last night I made marinated (agave, molasses, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, olive oil, BBQ spices) tempeh into a stir fry with garlic, onion, bell pepper, broccoli, organic rainbow pepper spice mix, salt, chickpea noodles.