Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

I'm going to have salad with lettuce, collard greens, tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, avocado, corn, olives, vegan cheddar shreds and a cut-up Aldi chik'n patty topped with Italian dressing.
I do kale in salad, but never collards. Why aren't there other varieties of collards, like there are so many of kale? I only see the large thick leaves

I had my tempeh/seitan sausage on Aldi vegan cheddar toast. I think it's going to be a staple. It's ok

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
I do kale in salad, but never collards. Why aren't there other varieties of collards, like there are so many of kale? I only see the large thick leaves

I had my tempeh/seitan sausage on Aldi vegan cheddar toast. I think it's going to be a staple. It's ok
Yep, I did have to chop them pretty fine because they can be tough to chew raw. They add some nice bite to the salad, though.

Reactions: Emma JC
wow another huge meal, we really do eat too much even if we only eat twice a day - Gardein chicken burritos with peppers/jalapenos/onion/cheez inside, pica on top plus chopped arugula, more cheez and a side of Mexican rice

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Leftover air-fried crispy tofu with air-fried tater tots, sautéed collard greens and roasted asparagus. Maybe a salad, too, if I have room, but I might not. :D

• Love
Reactions: Tom L. and Emma JC
I made a quick mac & cheese using the FYH garden herb. Tasty! Don't know why I don't do that more--make a roux and add vegan cheese. Better with sauteed minced onion and broccoli, next time!
and a grapefruit

Curry leftovers only one serving from then. I have the night to myself. Yesterday I made penne with homemade seitan sausages, stewed tomatoes, pepper, garlic, onion and spices. The next few meals will be the penne.

• Love
So my non-vegan friend from back east is visiting here this weekend. I want to impress because I want people to know vegan food doesn't have to be "rabbit food", as they love to call it. So since my friend was dying to try west coast seafood, I am going to attempt a convincing vegan faux seafood dinner.

First course: Faux clam chowder using oyster mushrooms. It will have some white wine to help flavour it. I've made this before and it was unbelievably tasty. The oyster mushroom stems really give a chewy clam-like texture. I chop them up pretty small, so clam or mushroom? They will never know. Since I'm not using the caps from my second course, king oyster mushrooms, they will go in my chowder also.

Second course: Faux pan seared scallops using king oyster mushrooms (stems only) and a little more of that white wine in the saute pan, served with homemade cocktail sauce and fresh lemon wedges.

Third course: A very light but refreshing green salad, made with locally grown micro-greens, served with a light balsamic vinaigrette.

Main course: So rather than fuss over trying to make a reasonable piece of fish from tofu or something, I am using Gardein battered fish. What I will do though is make some fresh cut French fries. I will be deep frying both, so they will look and taste amazing. I will serve the fish with a homemade tartar sauce, and lemon wedges, naturally. I'll probably also make a simple coleslaw to go with this. It just seems to complete a fish & chip plate.

Dessert: I don't often eat dessert myself. I am undecided on this last course.

Fresh pineapple with mango & passion fruit coulis with a sprinkle of fresh mint.:)

That sounds lovely. I could probably find both fresh pineapple and mango, and I grow my own mint, but the passion fruit I don't know if I would find any. That's still a great idea though. I might just make a fruit coulis of some sort. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
That sounds lovely. I could probably find both fresh pineapple and mango, and I grow my own mint, but the passion fruit I don't know if I would find any. That's still a great idea though. I might just make a fruit coulis of some sort. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you in dt Vancouver? I would imagine that shops that are similar to WF or Safeways (Kin's Farm Market?) would have either fresh passionfruit or if not in jars or frozen.
You could also make a coulis/puree using either tinned or frozen mango if you can't find fresh ripe mangos. Add lemon juice and if necessary (according to taste and ripeness) sweetener/sugar to the coulis. If you have a mortar and pestle you can gently grind up the fresh mint with a sprinkle of sugar and add it to the fruit just before serving.

It's a very refreshing and light dessert and excellent if you've had quite a large meal.

couscous last night - it is amazing how large a portion is can become just by adding lots of veggies - only one cup of couscous in broth/garlic powder - celery, carrots, cucumber, green onions, olives, unfrozen peas, can of chick peas, lots of spices and made a quick sauce of hummus/tahini/maple syrup/mustard/lemon juice

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Fresh pineapple with mango & passion fruit coulis with a sprinkle of fresh mint.:)

Slightly off-topic: I once had a common passionflower vine as a houseplant. It got quite large, and the flowers looked AMAZING (although I didn't think they smelled very nice- which was strange, because the passionflower that grew in the campus greenhouse where I went to college had flowers that smelled absolutely wonderful. :argh:) But I bought a passion fruit in my local supermarket once, and it didn't taste that great, although it was okay. I think it might be one of those fruits that don't ship well.