Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

Do you cook the eggplant prior to layering?

Yes, I either roast or fry the veggies for the layers. In this case I will be deep frying them well in advance of assembling the dish. I used to work in Greek restaurant many years ago, which was helpful.

I'm doing a bottom layer of deep fried potatoes slices/rounds, then a layer of eggplant and then a layer of zucchini. All of which I fry ahead of time. On top of the zucchini layer goes the mock meat sauce, and another layer of eggplant and zucchini. I will finally top that with a thick dairy-free bechamel sauce. I will add some vegan shredded cheese to the top of that and bake to perfection.

I might add that I season all the fried or roasted vegetables before assembling the moussaka.

Reactions: Emma JC and silva
I made this for lunch this morning,but it was surprisingly good-
I cooked up buckwheat noodles, which is like 4 minutes, added edamame and quite a bit of black kale I had frozen. I've only used frozen fresh kale for smoothies and was surprised how much the texture wilts
Yes, I either roast or fry the veggies for the layers. In this case I will be deep frying them well in advance of assembling the dish. I used to work in Greek restaurant many years ago, which was helpful.

I'm doing a bottom layer of deep fried potatoes slices/rounds, then a layer of eggplant and then a layer of zucchini. All of which I fry ahead of time. On top of the zucchini layer goes the mock meat sauce, and another layer of eggplant and zucchini. I will finally top that with a thick dairy-free bechamel sauce. I will add some vegan shredded cheese to the top of that and bake to perfection.

I might add that I season all the fried or roasted vegetables before assembling the moussaka.

Man, would I love to be able to get that at a restaurant!

• Friendly
Reactions: Veganite
A bowl of leftover mole style black bean & sweet potato chilli topped with melted
Nurishh,diced avocados and a sprinkle of Tajin.
Strawberry & kiwi salad with coconut cream/sweetener.

Oops that was lunch.;)

Dinner was a bowl of leek soup with a sprinkle of yeast flakes plus a drizzle of evo.
Granary baguette with a slice of Vermondo cheese (Lidl), smashed avocado plus a sprinkle
of Tajin.
Strawberries.

Bibibop takeout :lick:
We have a new Bibibop and got coupons so I stopped after running some errands. They have a very vegan friendly menu, as well as being gluten and peanut free.
I got purple rice, sweet potato glass noodles, roast broccoli, kale, shredded carrots, red cabbage, black beans, and tofu. All really yummy, with a side of yuzu vinagrette. Some things already tasted well seasoned.
I did not like the tofu though, as it was small baked cubes that were either well pressed or previously frozen.
I don't understand how these dense chewy almost sharp edged cubes that don't even taste like tofu are so popular 🙄

Be careful when you order kimchee! My asked for kimchee for my sons bowl, and wondered why he got cheese>I wasn't watching, but now realized when I said "kimchee' they heard cheese! Good thing I don't care for kimchee :rofl:

Last edited:
Be careful when you order kimchee!
Definitely be careful when ordering or buying kimchi. Not all Kimchi is vegan. Store bought kinchi is notorious for having animal products in the ingredients. If it's a Korean restaurant they likely make their own, in-house.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I had tempeh marinating in liquid smoke and herbs, but didn't really feel like it. I'd often thought about using it for seitan, so I whirred it up in the processor with garlic and other flavors and vwg and made sausages to steam in IP, and two patties I sauteed and simmered stovetop. I had one of the patties and it was really good! Very soft texture, as the ratio was about 50/50 and kneaded in the processor till warm