Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

hot burger sandwich (Sol black bean burger) with an acorn squash cooked open side down in water in the oven and since I had the oven on I chopped up 4 potatoes, a carrot and a parsnip and put a bit of oil and spices on them and baked them at the same time - wild mushroon gravy on the sandwich/potatoes and a bit of budder/maple syrup/salt/pepper in the well cooked squash

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

back to pasta and meatballs and had a pasta that I haven't had in years, rigatoni - made up the sauce with garlic, chili peppers, onions, mushrooms, fresh basil, chopped arugula, olives and Yves meatballs in it - cooked the rigatoni for 15 minutes and it could have gone a bit longer

Emma JC

I made a big pot of Sausage-Red Pepper Spaghetti sauce in the crock pot last night with Beyond Sweet Italian Sausage and will have that again tonight with spaghetti. The rest is going in portions in the freezer. Hubby doesn't like red pepper or sausage so this will last me awhile!

Last edited:
Pasta!

Lumaca rigata (seashell shape) wheat pasta with tomato sauce

Chopped carrots, bell pepper, onion, garlic, tempeh, tomato paste and sauce, shittake mushrooms, green onions, spices.

Get this!: I cooked the carrots and then added pasta to the same water until quite reduced, then combined all together.

It’s a mycoprotein made from a type of fungus. Some people are sensitive to it but I love it. We don’t have much access to the vegan versions though. I can get the spicey patties and tenders but that’s it.

Quorn seems to be banned in Canada. Would someone who knows anything about it like to start a quorn thread? Is it a processed food made from fungus?

I would suggest using Soy Curls instead - they are amazing and not controversial at all - I am not sure where in Canada you are, I have only one location locally that I can find them so I stock up once every couple of months and keep them in the freezer (now outside).

Emma JC

speaking of soy curls we made burritos last night using soy curls instead of our usual Gardein
soaked the curls in water/spices/beef boullion and then used a bit of hickory BBQ sauce when I put them in the pan
had pepper/onion/jalapeno sauted in the extra water from the curls
cheez inside and on top
pico - green onion/cherry tomatoes/olives
arugula - chopped
salsa
oh yes, and a side of mexican spiced rice

Emma JC

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and EllieW
I would suggest using Soy Curls instead - they are amazing and not controversial at all - I am not sure where in Canada you are, I have only one location locally that I can find them so I stock up once every couple of months and keep them in the freezer (now outside).

Emma JC
Yes! :) I used to cook with TVP all the time!

Yes! :) I used to cook with TVP all the time!
Do you know Butler Soy Curls though? They aren't like TVP. Soy curls are just soy beans that are cooked and put through extrusion to change the texture-they're a whole food

I'm thinking of making a shepards type pie with these since we ate the seitan :worried:. I have mixed veggies and gravy and russet potatoes...
I'd have made another,but Aldi was out of tofu! I think it's the first time I've seen them out of tofu! I could make seitan without it....

Do you know Butler Soy Curls though? They aren't like TVP. Soy curls are just soy beans that are cooked and put through extrusion to change the texture-they're a whole food

No I have never had soy curls. I will look out for them.

I stopped eating so much TVP exactly because of concerns I read about them being so processes. I stopped eating soybeans I would cook myself due to the labour of de-shelling each individual one, and have switched those recipes over to tempeh instead.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
No I have never had soy curls. I will look out for them.

I stopped eating so much TVP exactly because of concerns I read about them being so processes. I stopped eating soybeans I would cook myself due to the labour of de-shelling each individual one, and have switched those recipes over to tempeh instead.
When you say de-shelling, do you mean edamame? As in the fresh soy beans in their pods? I love those! I buy frozen and just put them in the microwave and eat as a snack.
1637805111652.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: EllieW
When you say de-shelling, do you mean edamame? As in the fresh soy beans in their pods? I love those! I buy frozen and just put them in the microwave and eat as a snack.
View attachment 26168
No, I have had edamame and that's easy. What I mean is removing the skin from the mature soybeans. I see now on youtube there are different techniques such as the below. I had not realized more easily done raw than cooked. And also, much better for digestion skinned rather than cooked with the skin!

• Informative
Reactions: EllieW