Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

I tried one of Yeung Man Cooking recipes last night and it was okay, very filling as I used a full block of tofu - thing is I don't have chili oil and wouldn't use the amount that he did even if I had it, I did saute a few chili peppers in some olive oil before adding the tofu mixture but it didn't turn red like his did - I also steamed a bunch of brussel sprouts on the side.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Could you share the recipe for the veggie balls? I've never bought pea protein before - I assume this is a plain concentrated pea protein like this? The web shows various types ranging from ordinary pulse flour to the bodybuilders' stuff that used to be incongruously shelved by the homebrewing stuff in UK health food shops.
I used a ready flavoured mouldable mince and I added salt, black pepper, garlic powder, basil and oregano. I don't know if you can get anything like this where you are but this is the product I used.

image.png

What is that?
It's basically a stir-fry with all the ingredients in an egg roll minus the deep-fried roll part. I vary the ingredients. This one had a shredded slaw mix with cabbage and carrots, and I threw in chopped broccoli and onions. I also used ginger, liquid aminos, garlic and pepper. I had the tofu already cooked, just pan-fried in some cornstarch to give it a some crunch. It's a quick, tasty meal.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
It's basically a stir-fry with all the ingredients in an egg roll minus the deep-fried roll part. I vary the ingredients. This one had a shredded slaw mix with cabbage and carrots, and I threw in chopped broccoli and onions. I also used ginger, liquid aminos, garlic and pepper. I had the tofu already cooked, just pan-fried in some cornstarch to give it a some crunch. It's a quick, tasty meal.

I really enjoy a good stir fry. I also like to use grated ginger plus a tiny sprinkle of garlic as a seasoning.

I'm going to have something quick and easy for tonight's dinner. I only got back an hour ago and didn't have any time to prepare something special. I always have tons of frozen vegetables and some frozen protein in the fridge.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
last night I took a tub of hummus and added a packet of roasted onion soup .... we had bell pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, quartered mushrooms, bread sticks and some chips to dip into it - a few cookies for dessert

Emma JC

Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
Just had to look up egg roll as I didn't know what it was. Looks like what we call spring rolls I think? Wonder why it's called egg roll for you guys. 🤔 does it usually have egg in it?

Just had to look up egg roll as I didn't know what it was. Looks like what we call spring rolls I think? Wonder why it's called egg roll for you guys. 🤔 does it usually have egg in it?
The batter is usually made with egg. I haven't come across vegan ones but I might give The Happy Vegan a check soon. I love spring rolls.

we have both egg rolls and spring rolls here too and so I googled it...

One possible explanation is that the dough traditionally used to make the wrapper calls for eggs. ... Featured in a Chinese-American cookbook from 1917, the recipe calls for chicken, ham, sprouts, and mushrooms to be wrapped in a thin egg omelette. So, literally, an egg roll.

the egg rolls wrapper, here, is thicker than the spring roll and they still may have some eggs either in the wrapper or dipped in an egg wash

Emma JC