Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

well, we had the meatloaf and a bunch of potatoes and some last minute gravy.... I enjoyed it all but it was not a success as my honey despised it all.... oh well, that means lots of leftover meatloaf for me....

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Haha
Reactions: Brian W
Mole style black bean & sweet potato chilli with added spinach plus a sprinkle of chilli/lime flakes & a drizzle of evo
Some delicious stoneground tortilla chips
Berries & coconut milk yogurt/stevia

• Love
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Chili is a favourite of mine. I just wish I knew how to make it.
There are a ton of variations, but to me it's like making stew. Slow-cook it and the longer you cook it, the thicker it gets.

I typically use a couple of cans of tomatoes (crushed or chopped, it doesn't matter, more cans if you're feeding a bunch of people), veggie broth (a cup or two), some sort of bean (usually two cans of kidney beans or a mix of red and white beans), brown sugar, onions, garlic, green peppers, carrots and jalapeño pepper. If I don' t have that last item, I use hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes (to taste and level of hotness).

Heat some olive oil (or oil of your choice) in a thick-bottomed large sauce pan on medium, then sauté the onions and garlic until they're soft and translucent (5 to 7 minutes on medium heat).

Then add whatever spices you want (usually lots of chili powder and a bit of salt and pepper) and sauté for a minute or so to get the flavors in the pan.

Add the sauce, broth, chopped veggies and brown sugar (a tablespoon or so), reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 30 minutes (longer if you want it thicker,). With about 10 minutes left, add the beans (if canned, rinse and drain them first) and heat through.

Note: I sometimes throw in some tomato paste if I can't get the thickness I want.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W and Emma JC
Chili is a favourite of mine. I just wish I knew how to make it.
There are so many ways to make chili! I think I'll start a thread on our different recipes!

I went all out and splurged on Thai takeout to celebrate my vaccine! I got the hot basil tofu, which was incredibly tasty! I worried as I have a sort of allergic reaction when I use hot chilis, but I never do when I get takeout? I don't what it is with my ingredients, but this is hot an super good!

Why is that?

I think because it wasn't firm enough, too much moisture, and he didn't like the gravy that I made, although it was tasty it had too much cornstarch so it was jellified. He believes he is the gravy expert.... he might be right.

I have made meatloaf in the past, my own recipe, and it was much firmer because it had less grains in it and more beans and veggies.

Emma JC

last night we stuck to a favourite - wraps with Gardein chicken/bell pepper/jalapeno/onion/cheez, topped with a pica made of green onion/cherry tomatoes/black sliced olives/cilantro and a side of Mexican rice

Emma JC

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I reheated my 'meatloaf' in a pot and turned it into a bit of a firm sloppy joe and piled it into two hamburger buns with a bit of spag sauce on top - my honey ate some pasta/spag sauce/Yves meatballs - we both enjoyed our meals.

Emma JC

Green lentil & vegetable stew (carrots, parsnips, passata, kale, mushrooms) with boiled potatoes/evo/yeast flakes
Raspberries & coconut milk yogurt/stevia
A glass of chardonnay

Reactions: Brian W
I will be having nut roast with roasted asparagus and potatoes and some cranberry sauce.
Coffee cake for dessert.
And likely a cocktail of some sort. I haven't decided what yet. :) I will be at my parents' house.

In Sweden we celebrate Easter on the eve, i.e. today so I cooked something a bit special. I made veggie balls spiced with allspice, mustard, salt and black pepper, soy sauce and rich vegan fond and mixed with finely chopped onions. I fried them in some margerine and served them with fried mushrooms, roasted cauliflower, roasted carrots and mashed potatoes. Afterwards we had pear and ginger crumble with Oatly custard.

I made a tofu quiche with the Aldi hash brown patties.Tater tots would be just as good.
I used to shred potatoes--but this was sooo delicious. I put the has brown lined casserole in the oven at 400F while I prepped the tofu blend, mixed in thawed chopped spinach and shredded Daiya block cheddar. Baked at 350F for like 40 mon covered, then 10 min uncovered