Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

It was from this video that I was inspired. You can put your own twist on it. I used a little bourbon instead of cola in my BBQ sauce.

Enjoy!

Wow! Looks Amazing!! Thanks... I would use something other than cola too... Can’t remember the last time I had cola!

I'm about to make some beautiful fresh oyster mushrooms into steaks, with a homemade Jack Daniels BBQ sauce. It might not be exactly like the original YouTube recipe, including the JD, but they are always delicious, nonetheless. It's pretty tough to screw up oyster mushrooms, imho. Just don't burn them!

So to go with it I have some coleslaw I made yesterday, and I will roast some organic skin-on potatoes (red) to complete the meal. This really reminds me of a nice barbecue. Coleslaw and potato salad is awesome with this, but roasted will be yummy too.

Be right over.

• Haha
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
It was from this video that I was inspired. You can put your own twist on it. I used a little bourbon instead of cola in my BBQ sauce.

Enjoy!
I've never seen oyster mushrooms over here and have never tasted them. I see that the main UK supermarkets sell them but they are very pricy.

I like stews and make them quite often using field (button) mushrooms which must taste quite different to the above. I gather that the texture isn't quite the same neither.:cool:

Is the end result sweet or do you add extra stock etc ? I didn't view the YT video as it was too long to watch. :p

I've never seen oyster mushrooms over here and have never tasted them. I see that the main UK supermarkets sell them but they are very pricy.

You have to try them, especially this recipe. They are pricey here too, but I think they're worth the money, if not as a treat, perhaps for special occasion.

I also love soups and stews, especially during the colder winter months. I love mushrooms in stews because they really suck up flavour. I really love shiitake mushrooms in stews. Again, they're a bit pricey, but add such amazing flavour. It's the chewy texture I like about them. Oyster mushrooms also have a chewier texture, which in my opinion gives it a meaty like feel.

The ones I bought yesterday would have cost about the same as a high end meat product, like a steak for example. In Canadian dollars they cost me $16, and I had leftovers.

hmmm after that great recipe by @Veganite my paltry dinner sounds sad.... had a tomato cup-a-soup to which I added extra noodles, kale, chili paste, crackers and croutons - and then ate some potato chips

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

A Tuscan style bean & vegetable soup plus sprinkle of yeast flakes & a drizzle of evo.
A slice of wacky chocolate cake & raspberries plus a dollop of yogurt milk yogurt
A glass of chardonnay

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
A Tuscan style bean & vegetable soup plus sprinkle of yeast flakes & a drizzle of evo.
A slice of wacky chocolate cake & raspberries plus a dollop of yogurt milk yogurt
A glass of chardonnay
That cake sounds divine!

I'm going to have egg roll in a bowl with seitan as the protein.

Reactions: Emma JC
I think I'm gonna make more mashed pinto beans, and maybe cornbread, and cole slaw--oh, that's right I don't have vegan mayo :rolleyes:
Do I really have to stoop to a vinegar cole slaw? Any ideas?

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Make a soymilk mayo. I have, easy. Vegan Mayo Just one recipe idea.
I have too, but to make enough to be able to blend properly makes too much, and it never keeps more than a week.
I don't really want to open a soy milk carton either, having no plans for using the rest. Last time I froze soy milk it didn't thaw well :shrug:

I like stews and make them quite often using field (button) mushrooms which must taste quite different to the above. I gather that the texture isn't quite the same neither.:cool:

Is the end result sweet or do you add extra stock etc ? I didn't view the YT video as it was too long to watch. :p
In France I have never seen Oyster mushrooms in the Supermarche or Hypermarche, however,at farmers markets I have definitely seen them...they won’t be cheap, but they are worth it in my opinion... France has a wide variety of mushrooms growing wild which are highly prized and the fancy cultivated ones are quite popular too...

In France I have never seen Oyster mushrooms in the Supermarche or Hypermarche, however,at farmers markets I have definitely seen them...they won’t be cheap, but they are worth it in my opinion... France has a wide variety of mushrooms growing wild which are highly prized and the fancy cultivated ones are quite popular too...

I never go to open air markets as the cons outweigh the pros. :cool:

The only mushrooms aside field mushrooms, that I buy are dried morels. The other varieties are way too expensive. I really miss large portabello mushrooms which to my mind are the best ever.

I never go to open air markets as the cons outweigh the pros. :cool:

The only mushrooms aside field mushrooms, that I buy are dried morels. The other varieties are way too expensive. I really miss large portabello mushrooms which to my mind are the best ever.

Just goes to show How different we all are... To me the open air markets are So wonderful I can’t even see any cons!
There was a very good market every Saturday morning 20 minutes drive down the hill from us, we went every week or occasionally we would drive an hour to Montpellier which has a fabulous market... So much fresh local produce and Many of the stalls were organic!
What I Really dislike about supermarket products is that Most everything is wrapped in plastic! Especially the organic products! Both in California and France the majority of or purchases would be organic... Yes - it is more expensive, however,
everything tastes So much better and it is better for the planet... We would just spend less money on other things, well- except coffee, impossible for us to live in France and not enjoy a delicious espresso on a sunny cafe terrace...

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
nachos last night - two full cookie sheets, one each, with blue corn tortilla chips, Gardein mince/ground burger with onions, spices and half a can of black beans, sliced cherry tomatoes, green onions, black olives, shredded cheez, pickled jalapeno slices on top and the last wee bit of argula (hafta go shopping soon, it has been a couple of weeks)

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Raven
If that were my salad it would have dried cranberries, or other fruit and walnuts!

I had a Beyond Burger with a slice of Violife, and lots of sauteed mushrooms and onions on the side