Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

last night we had one of our favourite meals that we haven't had in a long time as since the beginning of the pandemic our store sold out of the cans of refried beans that we like - it is a low sodium low fat option, the others are just gross

so I chopped a ton of veggies, diced, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, into a casserole dish, mixed in spices and the can of refried beans and sprinkled some sliced kalamata olives on top and put in the oven for 30-40 minutes until it bubbles well, put some shreds and hot sauce and pickled jalapeno on top and ate with tortilla chips (such a great way to eat a ton of veggies)

for dessert (my honey had asked for pie, the day before) I made apple/cherry pie in a mug except that I used small microwave safe bowls and cooked them in the microwave for 1 minute ahead of time, and then for another minute just before eating with a small dollop of ice cream

it was delicious

I love these 'mug' cakes/pies because it is single serving, simple and I don't continue to eat the pie later. There are great recipes out there for fudge cakes, and every flavour you can imagine.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Veganite and Raven
last night I made couscous, putting garlic powder and dried chives in the couscous when I put the water on it - then turned it into a mediterranean-type salad by adding cucumber, green onions, cherry tomatoes, olives, baby kale, bok choy with some lemon juice, rice vinegar and tamari on it

then made some soy curls, soaked in not-beef bouillon and gochujang (chili paste) and then into the frying pan and added some sweet chili sauce to make them crispy (I did not squeeze out the soy curls, instead left a bit of the soaking liquid so that they started cooking in it and so retained more of that flavour)

served the curls on top of the couscous salad - the meal got rave reviews from my honey and I loved it too

Emma JC

I'm making some comfort food for dinner tonight. We always just called them potato pancakes in my house growing up, but you can call them latkes or whatever you like. They're truly a comfort food for me. My mom always just put butter, salt and pepper on hers, but I kinda like mine with apple sauce nowadays. My apple sauce is from my backyard apples. I make quite a bit every year, so no apples get wasted.

I love potato pancakes so much, and with applesauce! When my kids were small I'd make big batches in an electric skillet I no longer had. It only occured to me recently it was just as easy to make small amount :shrug: , or even use cooked potatoes!
I have a chiky style seitan simmering now. Or should I say--Scarborough seitan! I want that to be a thing! I hate calling things my their fleshy counterparts that share the seasoning blends
Like at least steak seasoning is also known as Montreal seasoning. Poultry seasoning should be Scarborough!

I am making chickpea cutlets for tonight to accompany the last of my Thanksgiving veggies: mashed potatoes, turnips and broccoli cheese casserole. And the last of the cranberry sauce (I have more cans of it though! 😁).

last night was an overeating night again (was going to say pig out night but felt that was wrong) - two whole wheat tortilla wraps (each) with a package of Gardein chicken strips inside along with bell peppers/onions, cheez, and a pica on tops with salsa and more cheez and a side of mexican rice.... it was delicious though

thankfully we had only a smoothie for breakfast and some breadsticks as a snack instead of lunch so I guess it wasn't too much for the day

Emma JC

Reactions: Raven and PTree15
I think tonight will be a pasta night. I want to make bow tie pasta with sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. I wish I had some red wine, but it's all gone. Maybe I will make a trip out to the liquor store. I do need to stock up, as I'm down to just Tanqueray in the liquor cabinet.

Reactions: Emma JC and Raven
I think tonight will be a pasta night. I want to make bow tie pasta with sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. I wish I had some red wine, but it's all gone. Maybe I will make a trip out to the liquor store. I do need to stock up, as I'm down to just Tanqueray in the liquor cabinet.
I wish I had Tanqueray! Well really Bombay Sapphire! My favorite gin
I'd like to like wine. Sometimes I'll look at the displays an read the descriptions. I really only like bubbly ones, and champagne.
Aldi semi dry Wicked ale reminds me of a wine-or maybe 'flavored malt liquor"

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I wish I had Tanqueray! Well really Bombay Sapphire! My favorite gin
I'd like to like wine. Sometimes I'll look at the displays an read the descriptions. I really only like bubbly ones, and champagne.
Aldi semi dry Wicked ale reminds me of a wine-or maybe 'flavored malt liquor"
I don't think I have ever had Bombay Sapphire. I've always been a Tanqueray girl, hehe. I'm not much for bubbly wines or champagne, but I do like a nice dry red, either a cab, merlot or a blend. Blends can be really tasty, IMHO. I should get some beer from Aldi next time I go. They don't sell wine, but they do sell beer at my Aldi.

A Cumberland style banger with sauteed mushrooms and a ww multi grain bun/spread.
A cabbage slaw/vinaigrette/pumpkin chia seeds/yeast flakes.
Blueberries & coconut milk yogurt.
A glass of chardonnay

last night I pulled a frozen tomato/bean/veggie soup from the freezer and then added a smaller portion of the frozen beans that I made the soup from, it was just the right amount for two and so hearty and satisfying - I added a small amount of leftover mexican rice from the night before and then a huge handful of greens (baby kale, arugula, rocket)

we had a half loaf of garlic bread as well

I need to be more disciplined and make more beans/soup as soon as I eat the frozen ones as it is such a good thing to have in the freezer and to eat more often. Tons of veggies and beans and because it is oil and salt free you can have some garlic bread or drizzle some tahini on top (or both) without worrying about massive weight gains.

Emma JC

I don't know what's wrong with me, Ive made and enjoyed soups all my life-till now!
I made a really tasty corn chowder, vegetable noodle soup, minestrone- just haven't wanted any! I'm still enjoying salads though...
I'm going to make a spicy lentil soup, that's been one of everyones favorties here
I just remembered my son used all the carrots :fp:

• Friendly
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
Aldi moroccan style falafel, teeny tiny organic baby baked potatoes ( that I learned on here to microwave first ) lovely little asparagus roasted with nutritional yeast - which I was reminded of doing from someone on here and a glass of Tesco’s vegan Beaujolais... Tesco have a good selection of Vegan wines as does Aldi though Aldi here doesn’t have anyway near as many Vegan items as you all have in the US... I Really do miss Trader Joes... and All of the great health food shops in the Bay Area...access to local organic produce was So easy both there and in France...

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Whole grain angel hair with broccoli in a creamy white sauce.

Aldi moroccan style falafel, teeny tiny organic baby baked potatoes ( that I learned on here to microwave first ) lovely little asparagus roasted with nutritional yeast - which I was reminded of doing from someone on here and a glass of Tesco’s vegan Beaujolais... Tesco have a good selection of Vegan wines as does Aldi though Aldi here doesn’t have anyway near as many Vegan items as you all have in the US... I Really do miss Trader Joes... and All of the great health food shops in the Bay Area...access to local organic produce was So easy both there and in France...
Yum that sounds really good!

• Friendly
Well I'm back into soup :laughing:
I made a yummy split pea

To those in the US Aldi sounds way better overseas :shrug:.So many vegan options are 'specials' that go away!

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52